PDA

View Full Version : Covering It All

ArtMarkie
09-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Hello all,

When you are doing an acrylic painting, do you have to
cover the canvas every little bit? Would it be harmful to
leave a bare thread? I want to get somewhat looser,
and trying to paint every minute spot might inhibit me.

talkingbanana
09-11-2003, 08:38 PM
There's no "rules" when it comes to painting. Do what you feel is best. ;)

However, if you're even worried about this, maybe you should "block in" your major color areas, just painting solid shapes to cover the whole canvas. Then go back and paint your actual subject; you'll be able to work loosely without worrying about covering everything because it's already covered.

Something to try, anyway. :D

imlayte
09-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Talkingbanana is right. At least I stain the shade areas because the little sparkley white skips that show thru look like warm sparkles hindering the cool illusion. A few times I didn't notice them till I was showing at outdoor show. Then you have to match the color and that can be tough or put a bird there. I have no problem with them in the sunlit areas usually, infact they may be good. Good luck.

Howard

CarlyHardy
09-11-2003, 10:11 PM
If the canvas is primed it won't hurt to not cover every spot, but it will change color over time. Do you put a final varnish over your acrylics? That will protect any canvas that shows.
carly

Bubba's Mama
09-12-2003, 06:22 AM
How about trying an all over wash of either BU or RS (warm vs. cool) before you paint. Covers all the canvas, and can frequently help me "see" the colors.

Susan