PDA

View Full Version : Painting for a church

Rocky Barnett
05-17-2013, 09:42 AM
This is my first inspirational painting, and I'm a little uncomfortable working on this size canvas too. (30x48)
It is done in oil. I have 17 days in this one so far, and I just don't know what it still needs. (I have looked at it so long it is hard to be objective)
This is being done as a request not a commission.... I'll probably get my cost back, nothing more,it is not about the money;I have enjoyed trying some thing new!
( at least until I see the critiques:lol: )
Still I want it to be a good painting. I guess what I'm asking is what does it need to finish it and what have I done wrong?

~http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2013/1205620-1002__-_Copy.jpg

Dana Design
05-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Very well done! And the story it tells is quite clear. I should think they'll be very pleased with it.

rossmarie
05-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Very well done! And the story it tells is quite clear. I should think they'll be very pleased with it.

I agree with Dana - very well done indeed. The imploring expression on the girl's face is just right. Think your Church will be delighted.

Mike:clap:

Rocky Barnett
05-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Thank you both for the encouragment; now I'm a little less apprehensive about presenting it.:crossfingers:..........wish me luck!

jocko500
05-22-2013, 01:52 PM
looks good to me. i may put a little darker under the hand of the girl on the ground for a shadow. i know the size this site is asking is not the best to show work, so if it is there sorry i say anything. but if the people like it do not worry about it.

Carlsen Highway
05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
I have often thought of doing a painting for my church. Your painting has inspired me.

Rocky Barnett
05-23-2013, 05:26 AM
I've made small changes in the texture of the sandals and the rock, as it was suggested to me by a site 'lurker'
...who managed to get my phone number!..... from my MOTHER!!......... who lives in his apartment building!!!........... YIKES!!!!
He was very polite about it, and it did help. It also helped me realize how many more fans (and possibly detractors) we all have out there. So if you are 'lurking' this site, and feel you have something valuable to add; I urge you to join and not be shy. ('cause that took balls!) We don't bite, everyone has been very nice to me and I know they will be to you too!
Anyway on to the painting....I'm calling it finished! (I mean done: not the title)
Thank you for all comments,thank you for looking Jocko;there is a wet reflection there I can't get rid of when I take a photo of the whole canvas. Carlsen Highway; you just made my day,what a lovely thing to say!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2013/1205620-flash.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2013/1205620-sun.jpg

jocko500
05-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I know the size was small but it do look good now. I see what going on now. yes it a small world now days lol

chuas2
06-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Rocky, it sounds like you've gone through a lot health wise, but emerged with strength and it shows in your work. This is just lovely!
Kris

birdhs
06-05-2013, 01:59 PM
In many inspirational paintings it seems the artists use a golden glowing "heavenly" light. This seems to be a bit on the cool side of the light spectrum.

All else seems perfect to me.

Maybe you could try to change this in Photoshop to see it before any actual changes are made.

greggo

AprilJoy
06-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Rocky, this is quite good & I'm sure the church members will appreciate it :thumbsup:
Your story about the lurker has me laughing because I recently sent my mother several links she would enjoy & now I'm wondering.....is she out there now?? :lol::lol: you make an excellent point- you never know who's checking you out! :p

Rocky Barnett
06-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Rocky, it sounds like you've gone through a lot health wise, but emerged with strength and it shows in your work. This is just lovely!
Kris

Thanks Kris ; I don't know how long I have left to do this (many years I hope), I used to do a lot of fine-scale models and some life size medical/anatomical models....I guess they could be called mixed media sculptures. I'm better at taking several 2D images and making one 3D object rather than the other way around! Alas I can no longer do them: accidentally stabbing my self with a brush is much less painful than an x-acto knife, or Dremel tool!!!
Anyway it is the good and talented people like you that make me enjoy this community so much.( you are very talented! And I appreciate the time it takes for each and every comment.)

Rocky

Rocky Barnett
06-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Oops; 'hit submit to soon!
AprilJoy, I know right?..... don't mention the in-laws!:rolleyes: :eek: :wink2:

Birdhs, I can't afford Adobe, I tried this in SmoothDraw(no air brush in Paint.net) but just didn't look right. I was really just thinking of light from a window or something while I was painting, the 'glow' must have been subconscious ( greggo: Please feel free to digitally alter any of MY work, anytime you have time. I'm always grateful for your input!):D

Look:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2013/1205620-57.jpg I probably won't have this in my possession much longer; with all the earth tones it's drying pretty well.

Humbly
Rocky

jocko500
06-06-2013, 01:51 AM
light looks good to me. Jesus is a man and also the Son of God also. he made light as we see it here on earth. And when he did this he was on earth as a man. So to me the light looks good. check out the old masters lighting. of couse age help those paintings also as they turn yellow and maybe that where the warm lighting from they paintings come from. Just a guess lol

Rocky Barnett
06-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Well, this one's gone now. picked up yesterday. Big sigh of relief!!!
It will be 'unveiled' on Fathers Day as a surprise to the congregation. I will be in attendance. So far only the pastor,his wife, and the secretary and art director know about it.
I saw the church building for the first time, and it is beautiful; reminds me of an old spanish missionary in a way. It looks good against the color of the wall.(second relief) I'm proud to have it in such a great setting!
The Pastor cried a little! (not that I want to make pastors cry of course,but in this case it made me very happy. That is THE best critique one can ask for!) (the bit extra they wrote on the check is the next best!!!)

Sorry......;this has all turned to bragging now. Didn't want to I'm just SO EXCITED...........Whoo Hooo!:D Thanks for the help, you all!

(humbly)
Rocky

jocko500
06-11-2013, 12:53 AM
thank Jesus for helping you

Rocky Barnett
06-11-2013, 04:57 AM
thank Jesus for helping you
Always,...I thanked him along time ago for letting me find help here, and again in the church . Sorry if I sounded 'boastful' to you. Sometimes it's hard to tell where someone is coming from when they try to type a 'joyful noise', don't worry; I'm not losing my humility (I know all to well my own limitations.) I'm happy because they are happy!:wave:

Humbly
Rocky

gnairn23
06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
deleted

gnairn23
06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
deleted

gnairn23
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
deleted

gnairn23
06-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Subjective/egotistical/duality based art, nothing to do with inspiration. Exactly the opposite. The church will like that though, serves their agenda well.

World requires more objective art, truly inspirational art, this is the divine.

Rocky Barnett
06-26-2013, 01:00 AM
I am unsure whether your posts (first three) were deleted by you, or the moderator.......however the first one made it through the auto-notifications to me. The last post remained for all to see.
I found it interesting that you have spent so much time...about an hour each...to raile against my painting, and the church, and yet not offered anything helpful that would further myself as an artist. You also transposed the words 'objective' and 'subjective' in an emotional context, which suggests your objectivity may be misplaced. I have no quarrel with you; but, suggest that you read the Sticky:"How to give a critique"
IMHO: I feel that you have tried to misuse this forum as a platform for your personal 'agenda'.

Humbly
Rocky

AllisonR
06-26-2013, 04:17 AM
gnairn, your disparaging remarks say much more about you than they do about anyone else.

Rocky, I can see it is a little late for crits, as your painting has already been picked up. I offer anyway, some things for you to consider in your next works.

Overall a lovely painting. Nice soft areas, good use of warms and cools. I think the shadow under her hand and his feet are weak - but that is NOT because you have not painted them heavy enough. It is because of the very crisp, heavy, dark shadows on the top right - shadow of the hand and shadow of the round rock, wafter... whatever it is. These are in the background, and your painting is soft already, so these shadows should be much lighter, much softer. Then, without any other effort, the shadows on the rest of the painting will make sense. Another issue I think is the womans face. It is in profile, yet you twist the forehead to see a hint of the other eye. If the other eye is there, then the nose and mouth should also be turned slightly towards us, same amount as in the forehead and eye area. If it should be in complete profile, then the eye area and forehead should also be in profile.

Rocky Barnett
06-26-2013, 05:15 AM
It is never to late to learn. You have just pointed out something that I should have fixed right away about the shadows! I knew it did not feel right but couldn't put my finger on it. I tried it out in SmoothDraw and you are right. Maybe I'll get it right next time though!!
Also, I've a long way to go when it comes to faces; that nose is pretty awful; I just could not figure out how to put a 'front' on it!!!......and since you mentioned it, to me the upper lip looks more 'out of whack' than the chin does. (or am I just hoping Y/N ) (Thanks for the crit. AllisonR (post sooner next time. 'K.):D ).

Humbly
Rocky

gnairn23
06-26-2013, 08:02 AM
I am unsure whether your posts (first three) were deleted by you, or the moderator.......however the first one made it through the auto-notifications to me. The last post remained for all to see.
I found it interesting that you have spent so much time...about an hour each...to raile against my painting, and the church, and yet not offered anything helpful that would further myself as an artist. You also transposed the words 'objective' and 'subjective' in an emotional context, which suggests your objectivity may be misplaced. I have no quarrel with you; but, suggest that you read the Sticky:"How to give a critique"
IMHO: I feel that you have tried to misuse this forum as a platform for your personal 'agenda'.

Humbly
Rocky

LOL, no hard feelings.

maryinasia
06-26-2013, 08:14 AM
a beautiful and powerful painting ... love the expressiveness of all the hands

Dana Design
06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
The posts above were deleted by the poster and not by a moderator, Rocky.

Let's remember that we are here to speak to the paintings and not to opinions on religion.

Rocky Barnett
06-27-2013, 06:04 AM
The posts above were deleted by the poster and not by a moderator, Rocky.

Let's remember that we are here to speak to the paintings and not to opinions on religion.

I would like to apologize to everyone.
You see,.. I've spent the last few days dealing with doctors,Human Services, and trying to find documents: my mother has been transfered from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility.
I was feeling a bit fragile and I am afraid that I lashed out in a rashly written post.
gnairn23 , I apologize for not having given you the right to your opinion.
Dana Design , Thank you for letting me know that the posts were reconsidered, not censored. I apologize to you for ever entertaining that thought.
And to everyone else , I hope you can forgive me for losing my perspective about it all. I am indeed sorry for that.

Humbly
Rocky

Apodemus
06-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Relax! No harm done, as far as I can see.

Dana Design
06-27-2013, 11:05 AM
No worries, Rocky. Hope your mother is doing well.