PDA

View Full Version : How did I do for a first try?

LunarMoth
05-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Okay, here is my first real attempt at a pastel painting. I know it's no masterpiece, and that it's not perfect. :D But how do you think I did for a first attempt at this? I myself am not quite sure?:confused: This medium is quite a tricky art to tackle. :)
Here is the three scans I took of it. I couldn't quite fit it all onto my mom's copy machine for scanning.
I did it on a recycled piece of strathmore paper that I originally was trying to pastel a picture of a lion on. When that didn't turn out right, I erased it with a damp sponge and played around till I came out with this picture. I call it [A Mount of Olives], and while I know it's probaly not geographicaly correct, :D I thought it was a cute concept. Hope you agree with me on that. It's on strathmore 140 lb paper size 6x12 pad.
Anything you see that I need to do different or correct? Any advice or tips you can give me I would appreciate, cause I'm sure I did some things wrong.:D What do you all think about the mountains, do they look alright? Cause I'm not sure about them? I mean I like the colors in them, just not sure if they look real or close enough to real as I can get with my bad shading. :clear:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2013/1099762-scan0003.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2013/1099762-scan0004.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2013/1099762-scan0005.jpg

twiglet
05-17-2013, 03:12 AM
I think you did really well for your first attempt. Advice from me would be to play around with the pastels a little, you'll be suprised at what you discover.

DAK723
05-17-2013, 08:51 AM
This is very nice for a first pastel! The ground, trees and bushes look fine! You have some nice movement and color gradations in the sky, too! No one's first attempts at any medium, whether pastel, acrylics, oil, etc., are masterpieces, so the main idea at this point should be to learn the medium! It looks like you are off to a great start!

Don

rugman
05-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I agree, you are off to great start. I like your color harmony in this and the greenish trees provide nice contrast. Keep painting!

Dcam
05-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Looking good. Keep at it and try new images......experiment.
Good luck.
Derek

LunarMoth
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm glad you all agree that I did good for my first attempt, gives me hope. Thanks!

Tressa
05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
For a first attempt it is a "masterpiece of learning". :)
The colors work well together, and the shape of the olive trees individually is good. They have twisty multiple trunks and the leaves are a grey green, so for the color hue, you are fair close.
Play, experiment, and just try a lot of "what if I do this" exploring. Practice is the key. Oh! And don't be afraid to lay that color down! :thumbsup:

Turpintine45
05-18-2013, 11:44 PM
As has been said good start keep at it. You might try going larger, using the side of the pastel, pressing harder, softer, play with fine lines and blending several pastel on top of each other. Just have fun and experiment. Masterpieces come later! :)

chuas2
05-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Ditto what everyone has said, great start Brigette! I love the glow, and the twisty branches. I'm not a landscape painter, so I'll leave that to the experts, but you're doing the most important thing...experimenting! Keep on keepin' on!
Kris
:clap:

woodenpalette
05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi Bridgette - nice start.

Some advice I can give you: See if you can search on Google to learn about landscape perspective.

The most obvious that your painting can improve on are some of the following:

- Usually the closer things appear in a landscape the brighter and sharper the colors. The colors are also warmer. As it resides towards the horizon, things are lighter in value and cooler. E.g mountains in the very far distance appear to be very light and blueish or purple in color.

Your painting has an overall orange tone which is fine...but since the light comes from behind the mountain I would like to see more shadows and darker
values on this side of the hill. The hills way back on the left can be light in value - almost yellow to show where the sun strikes.

Hope this helps some:)

John Palmer Fine Art
05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Great start!

Mettaphorica
05-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Off to a great start!
cheers
Donna

al84
05-22-2013, 05:34 AM
nice i like it!