PDA

View Full Version : Questions for brass box owners

Superturtle
05-16-2013, 08:03 PM
How heavy are those Roberson style boxes? Are they impractically heavy, or are they small enough where the weight isn't troublesome? And how comfortable is it to hold them using the finger ring?

alansam
05-17-2013, 06:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2013/196272-my_favorit__palette.jpg I have just sold my large Craig Young box the biggest one with the three wells .I found I could not take to it.. was not just the weight .(1lb +)./it was a beautiful box,,yet holding was not comfortable for me ,I also sold my small brass one I found fiddly.. I having used the the Holbien five hundred for many years .so it is no surprise that i love the bunning Munro best of all ,it rests nice on my arm and looking at this photo you may think it is unused . I have just cleaned it out and re filled . it is three years old and is used

Superturtle
05-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Wow, that box is is great shape! You'd never know it was 3 years old. It's beautiful!

When you say small brass box, did you have the Sketcher's box or the Roberson style palette? I have the Herring Compact palette which I quite like, but I know it must be A LOT lighter than the brass style boxes. It would be 6 months or so before I ordered one, if I decided to, so I have plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons and here owner experiences.

alansam
05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
I think it is a matter of taste the one you like that is made in the herring four well shape. is a nice box and would suit you, .mine was the larger one with three wells each side , also consider how you paint,(do you like to slosh it about )the small brass one used an outer sliding box for the water ,and hung on the side,,by the way, I have seen fletcher watson using a simmilar box to the bunning ,where he mixes his blues in the top three wells (next to the darks) and his greens and large washes for his grassy areas in the lower three ,,it makes sense to me .the brass cleans easily with detergeant washing powder ,there is paint left in the corners of the wells not seen by the camera and the edges can be touched up with bath enamel

Saint Ragdoll
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
I have a CY box, it's the small paintbox. It does get a bit heavy for me. But I am a petit woman with arthritis....It depends if you always hold the box or put it down on somthing like a table or easel. I also have the metal Spanish Palette. It is heaver than my CY small paintbox but the wells are huge and hold much more paint than the CY.I prefer to find some place to place my palette, Just my painting style....
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

Caroleanne
05-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I have the Roberson one from The Little Brass box Company and absolutely love it. Yes it is quite heavy and although I had a left-handed finger ring put in I tend to hold it on the corner mostly. I can't tell you how much I love it and use it both indoors and for plein air. In fact, after just returning from an amazing painting holiday with Peter Cronin, a Welsh artist, I have started to paint standing at my easel rather than sitting...this doesn't appeal to my lazy side (!) but I love that I can keep standing back to assess my painting.

Like Saint Ragdoll I plan to have the option of putting it on a surface so am 'nagging' my hubby to make me a little shelf to fix on my easel.

However, I wouldn't be without it now and it's one of my most treasured possessions. Peter was extremely impressed with the very high quality of work even though he has a C Young palette.

Caroleanne

Superturtle
05-17-2013, 10:52 PM
This is all very helpful stuff so far. I plan to use it for both Plein air and studio. I like having a handheld palette and want the 16 pans, so I was wondering how the comfort of that works. It seems like though it's heavy, you all are ok with it. I'd probably get it from Little Brass Box Co.

alexs
05-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Superturtle
I don/t have my new paint box from Little Brass Box Co yet. I'm expecting to receive it very shortly. I was initially quoted 13 weeks delivery at time of ordering. John has shortened that down by 5 weeks.
To further convince you of you decision, there is a post by Watercolorfanatic in the Learning section about a workshop with Charles Reid that he has just taken. It shows Charles using a palette made by Craig Young, the small 16 well type that you are considering. Have a look.

Superturtle
05-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Let me know how you like it! What color did you order?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. I love the design and the idea of having a handmade item. I'll order it in about a month or so. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out which colors to use!

alexs
05-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Alansam
The picture of your Holbein 500 paintbox, is it really a 500?. The new 500 does not look the same as yours.

alansam
05-21-2013, 03:26 AM
sorry I confused you,,, this is not the five hundred Holbein it is the Craig young Munro. what I meant to say was . it leans itself to a person who is used to using a Holbein ,,I understand Ted Wesson who used the Holbein also used this type for a while/ but .I had better explain, his was not a brass Craig young ..(..this style of box shown was developed from an old style box no longer made.,and is not exactly the same,
see - palette addicts ,

alexs
05-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Superturtle
Just to let you know that I have just received my new paintbox from The Little Brass Box Co. You would be pleased with the box. Wellmade, compact, a little gem. It only took a week to arrive by mail. It was well packed. Whole pans fit into the cavities. You can also fit two 1/2 pans into the cavity by modifying the 1/2 pans. This allows for more colors to be fitted into the box, if so desired.
Go for it.
Alex

Superturtle
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Neat! thanks for the update!

jaredlovestodraw
03-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I have a House of Hoffman large paintbox from Mr. Steve Fanelli. It's fantastic but it is pretty heavy. I wouldn't say it's impractically heavy but it certainly isn't lightweight. I love it though. There are smaller models, though. I realize I'm coming late to the party here. I'm new to WetCanvas. :)

Neeman
03-09-2016, 03:07 AM
I can fly on a painting vacation to India for three weeks for the price of one of these palettes

http://houseofhoffman.com/pricesordering

indraneel
03-09-2016, 10:25 AM
I can fly on a painting vacation to India for three weeks for the price of one of these palettes

We need to see a lengthy post complete with itinerary, photos and paintings of your frequent trips :crossfingers: ... just to make sure you were actually painting, and not just enjoying the food...:evil:

suzalele
03-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Can anyone explain how you port around a palette with freshly squeezed paint, without it going all over the place!

edmund ronald
03-26-2018, 04:03 PM
I have a few plastic halfpans with paint in them.
Apart from that I have pan paint in the boxen, and tubes in a pouch, and lift the strong paint directly from the tube when I need it.

Edmund