PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Repose

D.W. Flint
05-16-2013, 08:54 PM
14X11, Oil on masonite.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2013/108422-horse_by_water_003.jpg Another re-do from the image library. Disregard the shadow on top, it's part of the easel. Any comments welcome...

chuas2
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi there, this is a lovely painting! You handled the reflection masterfully!

If I see anything slight about it, it's a bit on the symmetrical side, but that may be just a personal preference. A slight downward slope of the gold grasses on one side may be all it needs.

But feel free to ignore, as this is a very well done painting!
Cheers,
Kris

AllisonR
06-07-2013, 04:17 AM
It has a very dreamy, airy quality. I like the stylized horse reflection and the oversaturated water, makes this a very surreal, playful piece. Color is your strong point. You have a lot of saturated hues, which can easily go over to the harsh or cheesy side, but because of the softness and your making the hues playful, it does not cross that line. It might be strengthened a bit by adding a little brown in the tree branches, but not the ochre/sienna color you now have, a cool, complimentary Brown, maybe raw umber? Not much, keep the lavendar.

gebhm
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Nice piece of work. The shore line seems odd to me, but I still like the painting. Love the composition.

D.W. Flint
06-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Thanks Chuas, Allison and gebhm for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated....