PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Pastel Attempt

Dougwas
05-16-2013, 07:43 PM
After playing with my new toys for a while and experimenting with this new medium, I figured it was time to post something and introduce myself. I recognize a few people from way back when the Pastel Forum included soft and oil pastels. I remember doing challenges with Pat and Wendy and getting encouragement from them.

I normally paint in soft pastels, but I have always wanted to try oil pastels. After playing with some student grade oil pastels, my wife (also known as the enabler:heart: ) TOLD me to order a set of artist grade sticks. I always listen to my wife:angel: , so I ordered a full set of Caran d'ache oil pastels and I am so glad I did.

Anyway, here is a small painting I did today using my new toys. It is painted on 5 x 7 Rose Grey Art Spectrum Colourfix primer that was applied on hp watercolor paper. I used a color shaper for blending. C & c's are always welcomed. Thanks for looking and I look forward to getting to know all of you.:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2013/102199-May16Pear.jpg

Doug

lalflen
05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Good job! BTW loved your post in your blog about the hippos!

Lostjedi
05-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Not bad for a first op. hope you enjoy the medium.

Pat Isaac
05-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Doug and welcome to the OP forum....This is a great first attempt with the OPs. I would try to reduse the chroma on the shadow area of the pear a little.
Looking forward to more paintings. Glad you are liking them.

Pat

Dougwas
05-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Linda- Wow! That blog post was a while ago. Thanks for looking at it and I am glad you enjoyed the post. I look at that little painting every day, because it is propped up on our dresser in the bedroom. My wife still loves it! Maybe I should start the blog again. We will see. Thanks for taking a look at my newest painting.

Lostjedi- Thanks for looking. I am enjoying learning a new medium. There are so many possibilities and I love experimenting.

Pat- Thanks for the welcome. I guess I am a colour geek and love strong colours. Maybe some warmer green in the shadow side of the pear would give it more interest. I just got back from the store with three nicely shaped pears with the intention of painting them and not eating them. I have the family trained to ask if the pears are up for grabs or not.:D

Doug

thevaliantx
05-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Good job! BTW loved your post in your blog about the hippos!

Doug needs to link his blog to the youtube video of a chainsaw impersonation by a hippo. :lol:

Mij
05-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Well who'd have guessed it - pears Doug? :lol: :wave: It looks fine if a bit lonely - perhaps a pair of pears :wink2:? Well done you.
jim

Dougwas
05-18-2013, 08:39 PM
You know me too well, Jim! Pears are my "go to" subject. I am planning on another painting using a herd of pears, but baby steps first. Thanks for stopping by.

Doug

RainySea
05-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Hi Doug. . . nice glow on the pear. I just love the Neopastels. . . they are my favorites. Hope you will have lots of fun with them!

Dougwas
05-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks, Rainy! I am having a blast with my new toys. My next painting is already planned. I am going to try a watercolour under painting and coating it with clear gesso. So many things I want to try. Thanks for the kind words.

Doug

scottishwifie
05-20-2013, 08:54 AM
This is a great start I also use mainly neopastels they are my favourite, I do have some Sennelier as well which I use for highlights

Flycatcher10
05-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Love your pear and mix of colors, especially the rightside. Welcome to oil pastel forum, so great to have you join us. Looking forward to more of your pieces.

I also like neopastels, use them a lot with Holbeins, Senneliers and Mungyos - love all four and use them interchangeably.

Dougwas
05-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Scottishwifie- I am enjoying the Neopastels and I am stating to know them a little better. I do have a few Holbiens and I like them as we'll. It is always fun learning a new medium and getting to know your art supplies. Thanks for your comments.

Mary- Yes, I can see my collection of oil pastels growing in the near future. I am just finishing off a larger painting on a different surface. I love oil pastels already! Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement.

Doug

Frostie
05-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Doug,
A great start with the pear.
A full set of Neopastels - you can't get any better than that. The colours are terrific - and they are so lovely to work with. Perfect if you like strong colours.
Enjoy.
Helen.