PDA

View Full Version : NYC at night

sophie77
05-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Hello!

I'd like to get some general C&S on this painting. I tried to keep it loose and I think I succeeded, but it doesn't have the pop I wanted-- I probably should have used a brighter underpainting...
It's oil on 16x20 in. canvas. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2013/1062952-004_3.JPG

rossmarie
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Sophie - this is looking good. All it lacks I think are some really hard sharp edges and rich colour in the foreground. Also, I think I see some fairly indistinguishable shapes (people ?) at the bottom. They don't stand out and merge in with the colourful background. I think you need a few larger figures standing out dark and silhouetted in the foreground. That would make the picture "pop" and create a real three dimensional effect to the painting which is lacking at present. Hope this helps.

Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wave:

sophie77
05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks a lot for the pointers Mike! The ref picture was blurry to start with, with a few faces on the right and cars in the middle. Very easy to get lost in details so I didn't put any. So I will work on the foreground...

Dana Design
05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Agree with Mike. The closer the objects, the sharper the focus. Great start so make it work! Loving it.

eyecandy2
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I can see that your source was a photo because the buildings all converge. You could straighten them out so the viewer will see them as his brain dictates rather than how the camera sees them. I also agree with the above comments.

sophie77
05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks! I'll work on it and re-post.