PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Wednesday 15th May 2013**

shipbroker
05-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Morning all.

Torrential rain most of night, hope stopped before we drive across to Wales this afternoon.

Back later

geoff

Undergoose
05-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Crud, I've been so busy I complete missed yesterday's wash.

Been doing a lot of learning about Chinese and Japanese calligraphy and incorporating it into some paintings.

I made a flawless and beautiful large sized Chinese character while I was practicing. I was very excited.

Then I realized my eye had drifted to the wrong line on my reference sheet.

It says "Potato".

I'm so uber. :)

*waves*

Yorky
05-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Good morning all, drizzling here, 6C.

I made a flawless and beautiful large sized Chinese character while I was practising. I was very excited.

Then I realized my eye had drifted to the wrong line on my reference sheet.

It says "Potato".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Probus lunch today and Heritage talk this evening.

I have to go to the Post Office this morning with some legal documents.

Doug

shipbroker
05-15-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm so uber.

More Tuber than Uber Karl!

geoff

p.s.. Just seen Darlas remark in the Trees thread..

Me too Lawrence! I'm forever taking pics with my cell phone while driving; I'll probably get a ticket for that someday.

You would over here....talking as well although there are many many transgressors.

Undergoose
05-15-2013, 04:12 AM
More Tuber than Uber Karl!

geoff

Outstanding pun!! :clap:

doppler
05-15-2013, 04:24 AM
Good evening all. Doug and Geoff and Über Karl:heart:

OK back to present. Roger and I have had another bonfire. Heaps of stuff from the storm fall. He let me be fireman first this time :wave:

Best go and do feedy stuff :wave:

shipbroker
05-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Outstanding pun!! :clap:

Gee thanks...wanted to get it in before anyone else did!!

geoff

Doris345
05-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Good morning washers,

Hi Geoff and Doug.
Karl - What was the potato supposed to say?
Annie - "feedy stuff"? I love it, may borrow it.

When I was here last I very blithely mentioned my plans for the day - library, Home Dep, etc. - which, in NYC, means walking or public transit, right?

Right. Except that I am not quite back to normal after my totally annoying bout with flu and bronchitis and pneumonia. While walking around town, I had to stop twice and find a kind shopkeeper with a chair. So exhausted I was jittery and shaky. A nice little rest and I toddled off to do my 'thing'.

I now think that everyone was so kind because I looked bad and they did not want me to collapse right on their premises. But the truth is that NY'ers are incredibly warm, friendly, caring people. (Just ask their mothers.)

So I have been hanging out at home, doing very little but working on my garden. chilling in the sun, petting my cat, with an occasional foray to the supermarket or the park.

I have had ZERO luck finding canning jars. It is obviously not a big event around here: no spare space = no gardens = no extra produce = no preserving. I know they are available in every spermarket in the 'burbs, or on line, but I dont want to rent a car or pay for shipping. Although if I were a reasonable woman, I would figure out that shipping charges from an online source are a whole bunch cheaper than what I used to pay for my car, the insurance in NYC, annual taxes and the monthly garage fees . . . which is why I sold the darn thing anyway. . . which was a reasonable thing to do.

OK. I'm done. Sorry 'bout that, just very frustrated.

Visit today to friend in hospital, then dinner with other friend. Back to real life.

Catch ya later.
Doris

laudesan
05-15-2013, 06:30 AM
:wave:

Lulu
05-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Doris, as Char said elsewhere, how nice to know that kindness is universal...

Visiting the elderly tomorrow...am not ready to return to ' normal' life yet though, still needing catch-up sleep in the afternoon. So fatigued still but so worth it...

Undergoose
05-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Karl - What was the potato supposed to say?

The uber tuber was supposed to be "Peace". :P

I think I'm going to do some Jack Handy style pieces, really tranquil landscapes with random calligraphy characters on them and a nice haiku about making a sandwich or something in the corner.

The feng shui is strong with this one...:rolleyes:

LynnM
05-15-2013, 08:15 AM
:wave: Grey and a light rain here, but warmer :clap:

Hi Geoff, Karl (:)), Doug, Annie, JJ, Lulu, and all to come!

I know what you mean, Doris, I'm struggling with no car situation too, love having the extra cash, hate the periodic inconvenience. And I think I'm a lot healthier doing more walking. But one needs continuing good health.....I hope you are finally on the road to recovery.

Various excursions planned today, need to go downtown and then shop for groceries at the store on the way back.....was down to kale and parsnips as veggie at supper last night:eek: Actually, I quite enjoyed it, stir fried the kale with some onion and made a little pizza with a small wrap, pesto, chicken, kale and onion, and some cheese, quite tasty!

Have a great day! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

olliewood0702
05-15-2013, 08:43 AM
HAppY HuMp DaY WaShErS

It's an absolutely GORGEOUS MORNING HERE! Brilliantly sunny, blue skies, breezy and very warm. It is supposed to be this way today and tomorrow.

Klaira was so funny last night. She was full of energy and was running in our nicely fresh cut backyard. She loves running and Larry had just cut the grass and it looks so good. She ate well for dinner too so that is good. Kaitlyn was there too and she's doing okay. Kelsea was on her class trip.

A chipmunk was caught in the act.....of eating Larry's freshly transplanted tender plants. (marigolds) I'm afraid he's going to be re-located very soon. The live trap is set.:crossfingers:

I'm just hoping that the possum that we saw earlier (in late winter) duck under our shed is long gone before we plant our garden. We've also seen bunnies duck under there too. GRRR:confused:

I've still not gotten in my perennial gardens to weed yet. I'm hoping to do some this weekend. But I'm NOT going to over do it as my back has been sore lately. But it's got to get done before we lay mulch down so I need to get to it. Maybe I can work a bit on it tonight. I noticed last night that the skeeters (mosquitos) are out now and the minute the sun starts setting they are buzzing and biting.:rolleyes:

Tonight we have our eye exams; at least I think we do. I made the appointments a couple of weeks ago for BOTH of us but on our answering machine last night there was a confirmation for Larry...no mention of me.:rolleyes: I wonder if they made a mistake...I must call there to confirm.

I hope you all have a GREAT HUMP DAY and are able to be creative in some way.

BBL:wave: :heart:

Scene Chaser
05-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Good Day All,

A robin has been nosily attacking his reflection in the guest bedroom window and waking me in the morning as soon as he can see himself as the intruder, I've tried a bird silhouette, but it is not working. I will place a stuffed coon near the window next. It would scare me.

Geoff, hope you are able to drive safely to Wales. You won't be taking the caravan, will you?

Doug, my condolences regarding your friend's passing. 92 is a good age to attain.

I'll be back to the garden this morning, also have lawn to mow and trim.

Bill

CharM
05-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi Washers... It's summer. Yesterday, it was winter. Today, hot and humid. Welcome to Canadian weather.

I had a painting class this morning, and I've baked a couple loaves of bread. We're going to head out to the Wednesday Market shortly and then drive out to the Superstore to meet Magoo for coffee (he's working there today).

Tomorrow, we're finally going to drive up to Gail and Dan's for a visit... it's been a challenge to carve out a space of time that we can do that! With one thing and another, we've both been kind of tied up.

A conversation between Penny and Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory:

Sheldon: Why do you have the Chinese character for "soup" tattooed on your right buttock?
Penny: It's not "soup," it's "courage."
Sheldon: No it isn't. But I suppose it does take courage to demonstrate that kind of commitment to soup.
Penny: How'd you see it? You said you wouldn't look.
Sheldon: Sorry. As I told you, the hero always peeks.

:wave: All... have yourselves the best possible day!

kaypainter
05-15-2013, 12:53 PM
:wave: :wave: Hello Washers,

Not much to report here. Marine layer rolled in so temps have gone back bearable. I actually swam in the pool Monday night. Pool 77F, apartment -- who knows.

I need to shop too Lynn. But supposedly the handyman is coming this afternoon to fix the bathroom faucet -- dripping, and the wall which is a mess both from recent repair work and years of lack of repair work. We'll see if he turns up. Beautiful shawl.

Sylvia hope you get juried in.

I wouldn't soak any fruit or veg in the kitchen sink especially if it has a disposal. Way too much bacteria no matter how you clean it. Better to use a bowl or rinse in a sieve.

Uschi love your cherries.

Geoff you beat me to it. I was thinking along same line.

Karl you say potato, they say peace. Oh wait, that doesn't scan. Let's call the whole thing off.

:wave: Annie the fireman. Do you get to wear a hat?

((((Doris)))))) Take it easy.

Darla, Doug's right. Use your credit card. They negotiate a better exchange rate than you will ever get, and no fee. You can use your Visa or MC in an ATM over there if you need some cash on hand, but don't carry a lot of cash around with you.

Char :lol: :lol:

Lulu you may not pass for Emirati, but you'll certainly pass for Glitterati. :D

Well must go get something done before handyman might turn up.

HAWLTAIN

Kay

Island Nipper
05-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi everyone, a wild night, was awake listening to the wind trying to get in, getting very frustrated shaking every door and window in the house, heaven knows how the black backed gulls nesting on thr roof preserved their nest.
Gusted 42 knots straight off the sea. 14 knots SSW and sunny now.

Geoff, the clarinet is a joy to hear played well. Loved the 60s.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, I really miss playing my guitar but enjoy listening to gypsy jazz even more having played it myself.

I love going to the hospice each week and joining in with some quite old ladies in the painting group, they will try anything with such confidence and certanty and totally in their own way despite the instructions from our frustrated arts teacher :angel: :lol: :lol:

Tomorrow is nurse Beryl's birthday and will be my first outing in our new wheelchair vehicle, she has been practicing loading a wheelchair piled high with bags of compost into and out of the car, I am so pleased to be feeling a bit more with it the last few days.

Have had the quote for our new German " wash and blow dry toilet " £4000.00 it's not cheap being disabled.:crying: Beryl is threatening to use it to wash my hair, at that price got to make the most of it!

Peace and light to everyone

villagernb
05-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Good afternoon Washers.

It's been cold and windy here the last couple of days. Hat and gloves required for any extended period outside--oh, and other clothing as well!:wink2:

Karl, "Potato" is always a noble sentiment.

Geoff, be careful braving the elements.

Bill, we have been "enjoying" the attentions of a territorial male robin also. For several days, he was circling the house, banging on several different windows from sunup to sundown. He appears to have stopped now; we've been seeing him around the yard in the company of his "bride" so she appears to be keeping him both busy and happy--as it should be!:)

Enjoy your visit with Gail, Char. Our son loves "The Big Bang Theory." I think most scientists do.

Lulu, I love your camel photos! Those camels appear to be very used to tourists! They're all posing for the camera.

Uschi, your cherry painting is very "juicy"--are they white-fleshed cherries? They are my favourite kind. (Yum!)

Cheers

Anne

Uschi
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Good Afternoon!!!

Gorgeous sunshine, warm but still very windy but not from the north:thumbsup:

I played table tennis this morning, had lunch at the little restaurant at the senior center, smelled good, taste - not so:lol: Came ome, made coffee, sat outside for a bit, did last nights dishes and here I am.

Going to DIL's parents for a light supper followed by the whole family going to the theater to watch Ethan's dance group perform.

First and foremost, before I forget, Char after yesterday's discussion on using vinigar and water for cleaning fruit and vegetables, that very night (I tape it) a person on Dr. Oz mentioned it, not for cleaning, but for keeping fresh. She claims berries etc last waaaaayyyyyy longer after that procedure. Have a wonderful time at Gail's!!! Less yapping, more painting:lol: :lol:

Thanks to all of you who commented on my Cherries!!

Anne, wait for a couple of days, I am sure our weather will make its way over there!!

Nipper Geoff, your Beryl has quite the sense of humor:lol: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HER!!!!!! I am so glad that you actually enjoy your time at the hospice!! That must be some fancy toilet, if it is what I think it is it sounds kind of thrilling:evil: :lol:

Darla, Kay reminded me about what I meant to tell you about your credit cards. Make sure you inform them that you are vacationing in England or what might happen to you is what happened to Pat when she was here and the bank and machine refused to give her money because they thought it might be stolen.

Kay, I hope your bathroom FINALLY gets fixed and looking good!!

Bill, my Robin must be a lot smarter than yours:lol:

Lynn, I have recently read in our paper that they are starting what has been in existance in Kitchener for a while, a kind of system where rental cars are parked in various areas, you book it ahead of time, go there and use the car for however long you need it. I wonder if they also have that in Hamilton.

Karl, Peace and Potatoes to you too!!!:lol:

Doris, have you tried second hand stores where people like me who have become too lazy to bother take their jars. Also, take it easy!!

:wave: to all I did not personally address and sending good thoughts to those of you who are not well!!

P.S.: Anne, YES, white flesh. I took the photos last summer.

Uschi

LynnM
05-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Take care with that weeding, Darla, you are right, you don't want to mess up things for your holiday, if for no other reason.

Hi Bill!

I missed that gem from the Big Bang, Char, my brain keeps wandering off, wondering what came before and after that!

Hi Kay, I did get some shopping done, now have more choice :) I hope you got the plumbing fixed.

Hi Nipper, nice to see your painting in the gallery! and Happy Birthday to Beryl :wave:

Hi Anne, instead of a robin, I have territorial carpenter bees, they are slowly grinding up the wooden balconies here...they dive bomb us when we are out there, but give up quickly and go back to chewing wood.

Hi Uschi, I have heard of that sort of arrangement, thanks for reminding me, as I mean to find out what is happening in Hamilton, I think there is one here now. I expect you have to buy in to be involved, but I'll check it out.

LynnM
05-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I checked out Car Share, Uschi, and it is very reasonable for occasional use, because it is a co-op. I am investigating. So far there are no cars near me, but for a day out painting or with the camera it would be ideal! And the best thing is that gas and maintenance is included in the hourly fee (there is a surcharge for gas costs over$1 per litre). Group insurance is included in the yearly fee (very reasonable for an occasional user), and it is the insurance costs that really mount up at a rental agency. Thanks for the reminder!

JudyL
05-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Char we LOVE the Big Bang Theory, first saw it leaving the UK for the US and had no idea we would love it, infected the kids as well.

The Old Girl Scouts are coming over tomorrow, it will be a relief when they get here, I can stop fussing!

I hope to finish the acrylic I have been working on, it's from a photo of the kids at the ocean, staring out on the waves.

Now that I mention it, I think I'll get busy.

TTFN

villagernb
05-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Lynn, "territorial carpenter bees"?:eek: I've never heard of them!

Now I have something new to look forward to!:clear:

Nite-nite

Anne

LynnM
05-15-2013, 11:45 PM
:) Anne, yes, they look a bit like bumble bees, but mostly black, and they are solitary, have to defend the space around the nest so are always chasing each other off, and me as well.....but I don't run!

Sleep tite!