PDA

View Full Version : Christine and Ester - Redone

AllisonR
05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Oil on canvas, 55 x 75cm (22 x 30 inch) I got such good feedback, and I was so dissatisfied with my painting, that I have changed a lot. I made her skin much more red (as she is in person, she is not so yellow), and I increased the contrast so the face/shoulder... has more light on the left and darker on the right. I also darkened the background, to help make it recede. Before everything was so equally bright that the painting looked flat. I think it is still flat, but better. I also did minor changes like repainting the quilt. I hope it is better. Still would like some hard crits, I can use the info in my next paintings. For example, I can see that the edges are still too sharp, she looks like a cheesy cutout.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/133314-Christine_og_Ester_Redone.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/133314-Christine_og_Ester_Redone_Crop.jpg

Dana Design
05-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Well done, Allison. It's so much better. One suggestion is to tone down and soften the whites of her eyes. And IMO, it's finished. You've worked so hard on this! Congrats!

rossmarie
05-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Super job, Allison. Mother & child look really good, as does the beautifully painted quilt. Edges can be a problem but you seem to have managed pretty well.
Although you say you have darkened the background, My feeling is that it still competes a little too much with the foreground figures. I wonder if slightly less detail at the back and perhaps slightly out of focus with some blurred edges might have concentrated the eye on the two figures more?

Mike:clap: :wave:

maryinasia
05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
I've always loved this painting.

the only thing I would tweak is the hair on both the mother and the child -- a softer hairline, with perhaps shadow of the hair on the forehead, and more colors mixed into the child's hair

eyecandy2
05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
You have a lot of edges to soften to give it the depth that it needs. The face looks like it was pasted on and so does her body. Soften those edges and you will have a lovely painting.

dgford
05-15-2013, 07:48 AM
For me, it is only the red shelving in the bookcase that needs to be more subdued, At the moment in is thrusting itself forward in a very belligerent way. Maybe a tad more strength in the child's hair?

The quilt and clothing are superbly tackled. Congratulations.

Geoff

Nathalie Chavieve
05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
It looks much much better now. I do like very much how you painted the yellow and patchwork blanket. I think that the light, which on the photo if I remember right, was coming from the behind of mother and child, was quite difficult to handle and may be wasn't the best choice for this painting.

Debzy
05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
It's really beautiful Alison! I would soften the child's hair quite a bit and the mums hairline, but otherwise I think it's spectacular! Love the crocheted blanket, it looks very real! Great job Alison. :) cheers Debs.