PDA

View Full Version : *Daily Wash Tuesday 14th May 2013**

shipbroker
05-14-2013, 02:13 AM
Getting late..blue ears time?

Have not been able to contact WC since about 10.30pm yesterday, no connection at all.......strange...

Off to golf now,back later

geoff

doppler
05-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Enjoy golf Geoff.

It has raining here most of the day but now the cold winds gently blow. I'll have to put some socks on. Probably tomorrow night we will have our first inside fire. Dry cold south westerlies expected with clear skies which equals OUCH.

Nipper Geoff :thumbsup: Good looking or not? YES. :)

Roger has a fairly rambunctious curry cooking for tonight. I think he wants to clear his sinuses. :lol: He is better. I'll report on my state of health tomorrow.

BBL

Yorky
05-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Good morning all.

You are safe Geoff.

Hi Annie, my man cold is on the wane but I did my back in yesterday weeding. Getting fragile in my old age.

Going to a funeral of a Probus friend this morning, 92 years old and a ling time suffer with extreme IBS.

Grey skies and blustery this morning and 8C, I think we'll have some rain.

Good to see Nipper call in yesterday.

Doug

noge
05-14-2013, 03:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/148675-IMG_5667.JPG He folks :wave: :grouphug: after a long break
we have still snowspots in the mountains and therefor cold wind ;)

Roun2it
05-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Mornin' each ........... :wave:

Just popped in to say hello ......... :wave:

The holiday has done me well and my hip seems to be coming along fine, although I am still restricted by the pain and the instability it does seem to be starting to show small signs ....... as they say baby steps ......

Doug put your feet up and rest, it's raining now so no gardening on the horizon.

I too was in the garden for a few days last week and it was great, after 2 years of doing nothing it was great to get backache ....... :lol:

We have got an extremely busy year ahead and for reasons somewhat beyond our control we have booked a few holidays in the coming months. It is our son Michael's 40th birthday in July so we are going out to Oz to visit him, his wife has paid for my daughter Joanne to fly out too as a birthday present and we are taking the grandkids so it will be a great family reunion. It was to be a surprise but it is all out in the open now. We were dragged into this after we had booked the Maldives so it wasn't planned this way.

Then at one family outing earlier in the year my brother-in-law was perstering us to book a holiday with them, we didn't give it much thought but last week it all came to a head when on another family night out he became more serious about it and the next day booked a holiday in October to Lanzarote, one of the Canaries.

Chris is rather happy as she retires in a few weeks time and is looking forward to it all ............. she leaves me to worry about the money ........... Well you only live once ........... :lol:

Art group this afternoon and I haven't got anything done so must dash .........

See ya all later.

Yorky
05-14-2013, 04:48 AM
Good to hear from you Kev. Glad to hear that everything is going OK with the hip. You are quite a globe trotter.

Sunshine here now.

Doug

Lulu
05-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Hi everyone:wave:

Kev, gosh, you're having a busy year slumming it....You may as well come to the Cooks with us just to round off your year...you'd look good doing the hula:p

It doesn't sound like you will look like this on any of your overseas jaunts .......
And I just might not live to go on the next trip for posting these either :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/1118-IMG_2462aa.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/1118-IMG_2470a1aa.jpg

ScarletLake
05-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Hello

Well slept till 5:30AM today:clap:

I got a haircut yesterday morning and did minor things inside the house. Pretty day outside with lots of sunshine but the wind made it chilly.

I'm feeling rather restless lately. Plenty to do around here but no spirit to do it. Forcing myself to do them.

I sprayed more papers last evening and think I will visit Hobby Lobby this AM and purchase more inks.

Started my online writing class last night. It is a basis writing class like English 101 which any writer needs. It is only 5 weeks long but should be fun. One element is keeping a journal. I'm already ahead of the game.:wink2: :wink2:

Hoping to buy some flowers this weekend and pot them up. Got some rose spray yesterday --my little scrawny rose I saved 3 years ago is growing like a weed.

Will be trying to come up with something for our patio this summer.

Wanted to tell June so sorry about your sister. Thoughts are with you.

Doug - Glad you are getting over your cold. Sorry for the lose of your friend.

Kev - Sounds like you will be busy traveling and congrats to your wife on her retirement.

Lulu - What an experience you have had. Looking forward to the photos.

OK off to read local news

Enjoy you day

Anita

laudesan
05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Hello all

Annie, it didn't rain here. Got my bike back this afternoon, but didn't feel like taking it out. I had one of my marathon sleeps last night. 14 hours. :eek: Sure puts a dampener on the day.

Kev - wonderful to see you. Do let me know when you are here, I would love to see you both again. :heart:

Lulu, I love the photos..

Hya Geoff, Doug, and Egon.

You go Anita. Have a ball at your writing class.

JJ... just think about how the receding glaciers carved out our landscape! The ice that moved through the little town north of Winnipeg was 9 metres high! :eek: And those losses are not covered by any insurance... :(
Incredible eh. Those poor people. Here it is fire devastation, there it is ice.
I have seen news clips about people :eek: and houses falling into sink holes. Now that is scary. Why would they build there in the first place? The geologists must have known the area was suspect?

Darla, I hope you have a better day today. You still on your diet?

Bill, and Gail, I do have a couple of knee supports, that I wear (not both together) One I got here, and one I bought in Canada. I usually do wear one or the other when I am walking or bike riding, and my ankle support. I forgot both the last time.. :o

Ellen, boy oh boy all that snow...

Judy, how is Jack doing? Roses eh, you lucky girl. I cannot remember when a man gave me flowers. Oh well I do treat myself from time to time.

Doug, Ruths penguin is adorable.

Kay thanks for the thought. I have actually, in the last 5 years, had two intense sessions with physio for treatment of back and leg muscles. I do, my back exercises regularly, and do the leg exercises from time to time. I will kick it up a notch.

Nipper Geoff, I was thrilled to see you pop into the wash yesteryear.. I love your photos too. Oh my, what a heart throb eh. :)

JJ, we have lived in the Maritimes for 30 years and although I am not an expert (on anything!) here is my understanding of ice movement.
Ice jams occur on rivers (such as the Saint John River in NB) in the spring when melting snow and rising temperatures cause the water level to rise and the river flows more swiftly. The fast moving water underneath ice on the surface can cause the ice to break up into large sheets and boulder-size pieces which move along the river accumulating together until they hit an obstacle; this can be man-made, such as a bridge or a causeway, or natural-a narrow area or a bend in the river. There the ice builds up, creating a "dam" the river overflows causing flooding. The spreading flood waters can carry these huge sheets and chunks of ice into nearby communities, causing wide-spread damage-destroying roads and other infrastructure, tearing off decks attached to houses, pushing ice and water right into homes, etc. As ice conditions are extremely variable from year to year, people who live near these waterways never know from one spring to the next whether they will experience one of these disasters or not. If it has occurred in your area several times, yes, it can become very difficult to obtain insurance for your property.:crying:
The other type of ice damage that is becoming more common in the Maritimes is caused by coastal ice "rafting". Ice does accumulate along our shoreline in the winter: again, amounts and thickness vary a lot from year to year, depending on a multitude of factors.
Higher than normal tides, strong winds and severe storms cause this coastal ice to break up into huge sheets or "rafts" (much like the ones shown in the pictures from Winnipeg). Tidal surges push these sheets of ice onshore with severe consequences--coastal erosion, the breakup of stone seawalls, crushing wooden docks and coastal boardwalks, destruction of boats and homes and cottages. In some areas this has become a fairly regular occurrence with the same difficulty regarding insurance. But we humans always love to be near water, and it takes an awful lot to drive us away!:D
Fascinating. Nature really is a force to be reckoned with..

:grouphug: June :grouphug:

Later........

olliewood0702
05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Happy Tuesday Washers,

It's cloudy but the sun was out for a bit. A slight chance of a shower today but supposed to be around 70F. It's windy again too.:rolleyes:

Today, my tummy doesn't feel too bad, but my lower back hurts.:confused: My chiropractor appointment had to be re-scheduled for next week and my back is feeling it. But we had eye exam appointments for tomorrow after work.

Kelsea had her class trip today to Cedar Point (an amusement park in Ohio). She was excited but she's a lot like me...too afraid to ride those huge roller coasters.

The Redwings start their second series tonight of the play offs. They'll play the Chicago Blackhawks...a bitter rival of theirs.:crossfingers: The Blackhawks have been idle for over a week and we are on a roll with our win the other night...so hopefully...

No JJ...I've been BAD....but I AM making and eating my yogurt. The diet is just SO expensive and hard to be on. You have to plan so much ahead but I know it'd be worth it, it is just so hard when you work full time to have the time to prepare and plan. I need to get motivated...

Kev, that is GREAT news regarding your hip. WOw....you and Chris sure do have a lot of travelling coming up. That is wonderful.

LuLU, I had a good chuckle because the camels were even thinking John's hat looks funny.:lol: :evil:

Annie, I hope you survived Rogers dinner!

Hello Geoff, no blue ears today, Doug gets to keep them.

Egon, what a lovely view to the mountains.

Anita, I LOVED my college creative writing classes and poetry classes. I miss them too. I love to write too. Have fun!

OH Doug,:heart: do take it easy; my back has been hurting for a while now and I'm afraid to get out and weed for fear it'll become a full blown sciatica attack; so I'm playing it cool...with the trip approaching and all.;) I'm sorry about your friends passing; I know what it's like to live with IBS, no fun at all but he lived until a good age.

I think I have everything we will need for our trip; now to pack it all; that is the real test. Two weeks from today we leave!

BBL:wave: :heart:

LynnM
05-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi everyone! Lovely sun out there but chilly. My day at the Village, may do some fabric shopping this AM, always fun! BBL.....

CharM
05-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Good morning! A quick "Hi" and "Bye" from me this morning as I need to get to the gym for my morning workout. I teach this afternoon.

It looks as though it could rain any minute and the warm front pushing through has changed our temperatures again... I'll be wearing short pants to do my exercises!

I began work on Doug's Challenge yesterday and it's so much fun to be painting another floral! I'm loving the vibrant colour in this one.

Hey, Nipper... glad you dropped by and shared your photos with us!

Geoff, is the problem with your internet connection or WC itself? I have so many problems with our wifi that I always suspect the problems are at my end...

((Doug)) You know what to do...

Even though it's brought some chill (probably 21C or so), I'm sure the rain is welcome Annie... :p

That's a beautiful photo Egon.

Wow, Kev... that's quite a travel schedule!! How is your DIL faring? It'll be a nice family get together... and I'm so glad your hip is improving... those baby steps are in the right direction at least, this time!

Hi Lulu... those camels were clearly amused by sharing their photo shoot with you and John! :lol: :p

Hi Anita...

JJ, is you knee feeling better today?

((Darla)) Changing your dietary lifestyle is a big challenge... take it in small steps... every improvement will help.

I need to be off... I've dallied too long here and I just hope that everyone has the very best possible day!

:wave: Lynn!

shipbroker
05-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Afternoon all.....

Nice chatty wash today...nice to see Kev making one of his rare visits.

WC communications, no it wasn't my wifi last evening as I was able to get my e-mails and surf other forums......

Golf, tiring due to wind but stayed pretty dry and sunny and same here now.
Just had a nice bath and a pint of tea to get rid of the stiffness, Eileen is wrapping the 4 Irish kids birthday presents and then Christmas gifts as we will take them with us ...saves a lot of money!

geoff

Ellen in Ont
05-14-2013, 10:02 AM
:wave: everyone,
A fast dash in and out from me as well. I have a long list of errands to run and things to do. My packing list keeps getting longer and longer even though I'm not bringing many clothes. :rolleyes: Its amazing how many "things" we need to take along (water shoes, sun screen, bug stuff, camera, snorkel, etc, etc, etc). I want to start hemming my dress today as well.

The snow has half melted and hopefully will be gone in the next day or so. Some tree branches have broken and will need to be trimmed by the weight of all that heavy wet snow we received.

Kevin - good to hear your hip is finally healing. Enjoy all your travels.

I better get moving so I'll wish everyone a great day and head out the door.

wcartistsr
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Good morning. Having a lazy morning. Have showered but am back in bed on my tablet.

June-My condolances on the passing of your sister. I am the last of my family also.
Sylvia and Larry-Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary! A very special achievement.

We had to bring our annuals into the garage, too and also cover most of the hosts because the were up quite a bit. I think other things survived but time will tell. That has been a vicious wind the last two days.

Spent yesterday getting caught up on office work and also scanning more photos into the computer. Don't know if In mentioned it, but my dad had built a home in Arlington, Va back in the 30's. I found it on Google Street View recently and thought it was a newer build. But I found the photo of the original house and it is the same. New siding, finished garage as new room, and new landscaping. Nice to see it is still there. Found the appraised value now and was shocked. Now it would be quite a nest egg.

Have a great day.

Shirley

LynnM
05-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm back, managed to restrain myself to two balls of lace wool, itching to play now! We got the fabric we needed to work on new Edwardian suits for one house, for next winter, and I have the fabric for the next summer dress for one of the volunteers there. Imagine choosing fabric with a committee of 5.........luckily we all get along pretty well:rolleyes:

Love the photos, Lulu, that camel behind your hubby is the star!!!

Nice to see you in, Kev, I had a lovely stroll through your galleries, good work, especially love the poppies! and the sheep :)

Glad you are feeling a little better, (((Darla)))

Hope your knee is improving (((JJ)))

Very nice photo, Egon!

Hi Ellen, Geoff, Shirley, Doug, Anita, Annie, and all to come!

:wave: Char!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

olliewood0702
05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
I feel much better this afternoon, the sun came out and it's fairly nice (or so they say). I'll find out in an hour and a half when I get out of work.

Doug, my lower back is quite sore too; I've been babying it.:thumbsup: I hope your pain is short-lived.

Larry is going to the credit union to order our money for our trip. British pounds. It takes just a few days for them to get it.

I think tonight I'll make a trial run with packing the suitcases. We need to see where we will put everything and what exactly is necessary to take.

Yes Char, baby steps are the best way to change your eating habits. I do try to buy organic things but sometimes they are hard to find here!:confused: Have you heard that soaking fruit in vineagar and water in the sink will remove pesticides from it? I've been going to start doing that.

Shirley, I'm hoping that cold snap will be our last.:crossfingers:

Geoff, a nice hot bath will usually take the chill out of the bones. I hope it warms up just a tad at least for you.

Lynn, I hope you're having fun at the village.

Time for my afternoon break now...:wave:

Yorky
05-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Hi Darla, back's on the mend thanks.

You will find you can use your Visa or Mastercard in most places Darla.

Doug

painterbear
05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Good Afternoon all,
It is just past 3:30 p.m. here in warm and sunny Oakwood. :D

Just took three paintings down to the High Street Gallery to enter in the Tri-Art Spring Show. Won't know until Saturday if they all get juried in or not. There were an awful lot of paintings in the rooms as we walked through, so I'm sure the juror is going to have to eliminate quite a few. We'll see. :crossfingers:

Kev,
Glad your hip is improving enough for you to do all this world traveling! Braver man than I am these days with all the hassle at the air ports.

Darla,
Smart move doing the trial run with the suitcases. :D Your trip sounds like it is going to be a really nice one. :D

Lulu,
Speaking of trips, wow, what an adventure you and John had. I'm glad it went so well. Your frankincense will probably last you for many, many years. Ours has because it only takes a little bit to get that lovely scent.

I've been enjoying all the photos people have been sharing in the Wash. :D

:wave: to all who were here before me and healing vibes to all who are ailing and aching.

SYL,

Sylvia

Uschi
05-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Good Afternoon!!!

Dull, still cool and still windy. Tomorrow back into the 20'sC.

I did all sorts of shopping in the morning, Dollerama, Home Hardware for a squiegy (sp?) with rubber at one end for window cleaning. Previously I looked everywhere for one of those, someone suggested Home Hardware, and there it was. They carry all sorts of stuff that noone else does, even #6 Melita coffee filters which I also couldn't find anywhere else.

Also went to the healthfood store to buy Plant Sterols, heard on Dr.Oz that this reduces collesterol by 14% the totally natural way:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Came home had lunch and read for a while and then I played:clap: :clap: with this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/10602-CherriesYellOriginal.jpg

This shouldn't be that big, reduced it twice and still not getting any smaller.

Anyway, it is one of my 5 x 7" ones. FUN, FUN:clap: :clap:

Lulu, priceless photos, love John with his turban:lol:

Kev, I too am so glad you are doing well, and YAY!!! for Chris and retirement!! Now your vacationing will have no end:lol: I too wondered how your DIL is managing?

Nipper Geoff, ohhhh, so young and so full of life and laughter!!!! I too was in London in 1962 but never had the money to trip up and down the Thames.

Lynn, oh the hardship of it all, having to buy all this material:evil: :lol:

Doug, glad your back is feeling better!!

plus what they ^^^^ said so well!!! and thinking of our hurting friends!!

I have to run to the post office before mail gets picked up for the day.

:wave: Uschi

Yorky
05-14-2013, 04:01 PM
They look delicious Uschi.

Doug

CharM
05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
It's been a busy day... and our warm air never warmed up! It's cold and windy with some kind of weather blowing in...

I have to clean up my painting stuff before setting the table for dinner... but Class was quite productive and lots of fun. We laughed a lot today. That's always so nice...

Darla, I've been soaking our fruit and vegetables in vinegar and water also... it won't remove the pesticides/herbicides completely because the food absorbs those toxins. However, it will eliminate about 30-40% of the them along with the dirt and wax. Gross, eh? If you cook rice, rinse it well also because of the arsenic residue that results from all the toxins that have leached into the earth.

:crossfingers: that your beautiful work will be accepted into the Tri-Art Show, Sylvia!

Uschi, your cherries look positively yummy! Aren't those little paintings fun to work on?

Lynn, you are such an accomplished seamstress... I'm sure that your skills are much appreciated by the volunteers at the village!

Shirley, I think it's colder here today than yesterday! :eek: Our plants will stay in the garage tonight, too.

Geoff, I think I missed that you'll be travelling to Ireland...

Ellen, it's making ME nervous that your dress isn't hemmed, yet! :lol:

:wave: Doug...

I hope everyone has a nice evening... :grouphug:

LynnM
05-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Quite beautiful, Uschi! So nice to see something of what you are painting, liked the fuschia very much too.

Thanks Darla and Char, I did enjoy it, was nice to get out to the big discount store, I don't get to those places much any more....... just as well :evil:

My parents used to use bleach and water when they were in Mexico, for reasons other than chemicals. They never got sick there. I usually use soap and water for fruits whose skins I eat, but I know that many of the pesticides will remain. I'm careful to cut off the stem ends, thats where a lot of chemicals settle.

Lulu
05-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Char, how much vinegar and what kind?
We rarely eat bought fruit and vegetables and we don't use any sprays on our own home-grown, but it's good to know for the few we do buy.

Uschi, that is a beautiful painting! Now you just keep on painting, who cares what your family have to sort when you're gone! you have too great a gift to waste.

Sylvia, I brought about 800gms of frankincense, am gifting some of it but will keep most of it for me. The scent is divine.

Lynn, yes, you are indeed a very accomplished seamstress. :thumbsup:

Scene Chaser
05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Good Day All,
Been tilling the garden today and I have the gardener's back to prove it.
I'll be planting in a week or so.

Uschi, love the cherries. One of my favorites in pie.

Ground beef for dinner for me, chicken for the woman.

Bill

CharM
05-14-2013, 07:44 PM
I remember thinking (some time ago) that my bowl of apples didn't smell like apples... Well, of course they don't because they're coated in wax! That coating traps all kinds of things, not just the toxins they were treated with as they ripened.

About a month ago, I saw a chef on tv who soaked all fresh produce in vinegar and water. I decided to follow his advice and it's quite surprising, sometimes, to see what is at the bottom of the sink! It also helps preserve fresh berries, grapes, etc. because it neutralizes the bacteria that causes that fruit to spoil quickly.

One cup of good white vinegar to a gallon of cold water will do the trick. If your fruit, such as apples or pears don't completely submerge, just place a plate over them. Keep them in the water for about 1/2 an hour. If you feel they're particularly dirty you can add a teaspoon of baking soda. It will react with the vinegar and fizz up a bit.

Lynn, I don't have bleach here anymore. Since vinegar is a disinfectant, I just use it.

Lulu, I wish we could eat only our own stuff... we've started an orchard and with the garden, we'll be able to do a little better.

Bill, sounds like our house... :lol:

Time to shut down the computers and relax for the evening... the Season finale of NCIS is on tonight!

laudesan
05-14-2013, 09:02 PM
No JJ...I've been BAD....but I AM making and eating my yogurt. The diet is just SO expensive and hard to be on. You have to plan so much ahead but I know it'd be worth it, it is just so hard when you work full time to have the time to prepare and plan. I need to get motivated...
It is difficult, until you make it a way of life. Did you know, sometimes our gut problems can cause backache? Not all back ache is chiropractic.

Make your own lunches for work. Chicken salads, dump on some pine nuts. Make, and freeze, some almond flour pastry cases, so you can make your own open tarts. Bake almond flour buns/roll/muffins. You love cooking, this art should be easy. Freeze them, they freeze well, and to reheat a quick zap in the microwave, or if you are taking them to work, they will be unfrozen by snack time. For snacks make up your own snack pack of dried berries and nuts. Go to your organic store for these. I carry dried banana slices and a small pack of almonds with me at all times. (while your tummy is irritable only eat blanched almonds. :heart:
Don't soak your fruit in the apple cider vinegar, give it a quick wash and a good rinse though..

Char, my knee is feeling quite good today. I decided, that I will leave a knee support in my car at all timers, that way I will always have one on hand, even when I am driving, seeing as I have a manual car. I have a support that has Velcro straps, I can strap it on over my long pants to drive. Take it off, when I go into the store.

You must be getting very excited about your Ireland trip Geoff.

Glad you snow is melting quick Ellen. You will leave something behind, we always do, it is Kama..

Uschi, love your playtime..

About a month ago, I saw a chef on tv who soaked all fresh produce in vinegar and water. I decided to follow his advice and it's quite surprising, sometimes, to see what is at the bottom of the sink! It also helps preserve fresh berries, grapes, etc. because it neutralizes the bacteria that causes that fruit to spoil quickly.

One cup of good white vinegar to a gallon of cold water will do the trick. If your fruit, such as apples or pears don't completely submerge, just place a plate over them. Keep them in the water for about 1/2 an hour. If you feel they're particularly dirty you can add a teaspoon of baking soda. It will react with the vinegar and fizz up a bit.
I used to soak them, but I found that the vinegar shortens their shelf life. Carrots, pears, peaches, went a strange colour very quick. So a quick wash now, and for some fruits I just use an organic dish wash soap and gently scrub them with a soft brush..

Yorky
05-15-2013, 02:44 AM
I find it odd that people worried about chemicals in fruit should soak them in chemicals :confused:

By all means wash your fruit and vegetables, but add chemicals????

Doug :evil: