PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Monday 13th May 2013 **

shipbroker
05-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Good Morning World

Dull but dry so far.

Into town early has Eileen has a hairdressers appointment and we have Euros to collect for Ireland This evening I have a meeting on Teesside otherwise a tidying up day.

geoff

laudesan
05-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Hey all

Quiet day here, took bike in for service, went to post office to post a parcel and a postcard.
It is cool, I have a jumper on.

There are many consequences of living where winter comes, JJ.....glad I don't live on that lake! I sure found it amazing, I never knew that could happen. That ice could, if it got really moving, do serious damage to those homes..

Char, I saw the Minnesota news clip too. Scary eh!

Gail, wow, I would never have thought.. I guess living near water in extreme weather has it's risks. Well lakes anyway. Does that happen from a frozen ocean too?

Henry, you are a hoot!! Hugs to Lesley. :heart:

Bill, oh my... I bet the house insurance is high in those areas.

Uschi, thanks for asking, and thank you all who have given me advice about me knee. I have been resting, it, and favouring it, and it hasn't popped out for 24 hours. It is still a little bit painful, that same burning feeling. No bike riding this week :D It was suggested, that this has happened because I didn't keep my knees straight whilst peddling.
Piry about those "Birches" eh.

Darla, 15 more sleeps!!!:thumbsup:

:grouphug: June, my sincere condolences to you. Mind, your sister will always be alive in your heart. :grouphug:

later..........

Yorky
05-13-2013, 03:11 AM
Good morning all from sunny West Lancashire :wave:

OK folks! I officially have the blue ears :lol: I didn't see your earlier post Geoff :rolleyes:

I hope you weren't too tired from your long walk to the pub Geoff and the crawl back :D

Amazing shots of the ice. Poor people.

It's a pleasant morning but a chilly 7C. Still unseasonably cool with more low pressure systems queuing up in the Atlantic. Wish you Americans would keep 'em to yourselves :)

Not much planned for today until the boss gets up.

Doug

shipbroker
05-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Doug with Blue Ears........I don't believe it......

Yes it is a long crawl back from Pub on a dark night, just under 30 seconds I think!

Very breezy now as I got car out of garage and clouds scudding in too.

geoff

doppler
05-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Doug ..... just a great big PHEW from here. At last I won't have to tuck my hair behind my ears.

Geoff, yes it's the crawling that does it to you. Does it for me.

JJ (((())))

June, your sister was a brave woman. HUGE hugs to you ((()))

Henry, I am so glad some progress is being made with Lesley. :heart: BTW ... :lol: at the sword.

Work today. I left without Roger getting up. My cold has recombined with the resident Y chromosome to produce full blown MAN FLU. He had a shocking night and since he was asleep when I was tired, coiffed, showered and dressed in work gear, I didn't want to wake him up to say goodbye for the day. He did recover somewhat to help our local arborist chop up the flame tree that fell down in the Great Storm of last summer. Then chop some wood. Give a man a chainsaw and the eyes brighten and they are happy. Though in his case, still sniffy, a bit.

Off to cook a forgettable repast now :wave:

Yorky
05-13-2013, 03:51 AM
Hi Annie, happy to relieve you of your blue appendages, they nicely cover my new hearing aids.

(An outsider reading this will think we are al crazy - they will be right :lol: )

Poor Roger. I still have my man cold (sniff).

Doug

Ellen in Ont
05-13-2013, 03:58 AM
:wave: everyone,
Just checking in quickly from work. We are back in winter weather. We have had about a foot of snow over the last 24 hours. It is supposed to warm up today so hopefully it will melt quickly. The poor birds are huddled together in any shelter places trying to keep warm.

I'll have to catch up reading the washes later today when I get up so I'll just wish everyone a good start to the week.

Lulu
05-13-2013, 04:12 AM
Hi everyone:wave:
Nice to be writing from home, and nice that we've so far had sunny days to enjoy. The temperature (19C max) has been a bit of a shock, but will soon get used to that.
My brain doesn't feel so 'spacey' tonight - our telephone is not working properly (can use it to phone out but incoming calls aren't working), so I phoned telecom and got one of those automated 'helpers', which asked me to leave my name and phone number.....I don't think I gave them the right phone number because they haven't phoned back!!!
Another good night's sleep and I should be fine tomorrow.
Feel so so blessed with all we have done and seen, was like a whirlwind of activity!

((((June)))), please accept my sincere condolences too.:heart:

Having just got my laptop back from the 'puter shop, I am ultra-nervous now about anything slightly suspicious.....
I.E. is telling me that Wetcanvas has some security errors??:eek:
What's with that?? Oh, and btw, the major virus was thought to have been caused by the external hard-drive I bought, and I bought it from a reputable store too...:rolleyes:

Just downloaded my 1500 photos plus video clips!
This is me doing dress-up (in my dil's clothes she uses when required).
John says I look too blonde to be believable! lol
Lovely fabric though, this one for everyday wear. Loved the style of the headwear too.
Don't you love the jandals/flip flops?? Anything goes there with footwear!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/1118-IMG_3788aa.jpg

doppler
05-13-2013, 04:25 AM
Looking wonderful Lulu, blond or not?

WELCOME back. :heart:

Lulu
05-13-2013, 04:36 AM
Thankyou Annie.
As good as it all was, there's no place like home.:) and I couldn't live at that frenetic pace for too much longer either lol

painterbear
05-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Good Morning all,
It is almost 5:30 a.m. on a chilly morning here in Oakwood.

Today is a special day for Larry and me....our 50th Anniversary. Still going strong and looking forward to many more years together. :D :heart: Here we were way back then:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/9833-LnSPennState.jpg

I'm off to art class this afternoon. I'm bringing my sunset scene to work on and hopefully finish in class.

Welcome back, Lulu. Were the kitties happy to see you again or did they punish you with the cold shoulder for leaving them behind? ;)

:wave: to Geoff, Doug, Annie, Ellen, and all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Yorky
05-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Congratulations Sylvia, a wonderful achievement. Ours is 21st December.

Doug

doppler
05-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Best wishes to you and Larry, Sylvia. YES, may there be many more :thumbsup: :heart:

Lulu
05-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Congratulations and happy 50th anniversary Sylvia and Larry! wow!

Yes, the kitties were very happy. I expected the cold-shoulder treatment, but no, they settled back in as if they'd never been away.

Btw, I managed to bring home a good amount of frankincense and oud from Oman.
Our biosecurity is very strict, I thought I might have problems, so am really really pleased that they let them through.:thumbsup:

laudesan
05-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Happy 50th Sylvia..

SO good to have you back Lulu.

Oh my, Doug, but don't you look spiffing this morning in blue!!! I see Annie pressed the crinkles out for you too. :P

:wave: Geoff, and Ellen..

nite-nite

CharM
05-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Good Morning Washers... It's sunny and quite cool here in SW Ontario... I was forced to turn on the furnace this morning because my Students will be too cold to paint otherwise! :lol:

Not so cold here as in Timmins, though, eh Ellen? We saw all that snow of yours on the news! Despite the frost warning, here, it didn't get that cold and our tender plants would have been ok... Ted covered everything and/or put them in the garage.

Uschi, it's too bad that you didn't get your birch trees! Ted's been wanting to get a trio of them for our yard as well...

:rolleyes: Henry... White light blasting to ((Lesley))...

Geoff, no need to go to the gym with all the exercise you got... *smirk*

Doug, blue becomes you...

JJ... just think about how the receding glaciers carved out our landscape! The ice that moved through the little town north of Winnipeg was 9 metres high! :eek: And those losses are not covered by any insurance... :(

We also saw the homes that are slowly sinking into cracks (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/11/one-by-one-homes-in-california-subdivision-sinking/) that are forming in a subdivision in California...

Poor ((Roger)), Annie...

You look so pretty, Lulu... I just can't imagine wearing all that in 40C heat! Just like Dorothy exclaimed as she clicked the heels of her red shoes... "There's no place like home!"

Happy Anniversary Sylvia and Larry! That's quite a milestone and a wonderful achievement!

It's time for me to begin setting up for my Students... We're all working on a blue colour scheme. I've chosen one of my Peggy's Cove photos for them to plan their palettes... It's going to be lots of fun because we have other techniques to practice, also.

So, I hope that everyone has the best possible day! :grouphug:

olliewood0702
05-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Happy Monday!

Back to work for Larry and I this morning. We had a good weekend though.

Sunny and cold. We DID get frost last night. Larry had all our plants in the garage overnight.

Ellen...a foot of snow?:eek: You poor thing. Up north (in Michigan) they received flurries too I guess.

LuLu, you look Fab. I'm glad you are settling in at home now with the kitties.

HAPPY 50th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY to you and Larry, Sylvia~!:clap: :thumbsup: Way to go!

I have a bit of a tummy ache this morning; don't know what that's all about although I did on Saturday too.:rolleyes:

Doug, blue is a great color on you. ;)

Happy Day to you Geoff!

(((JJ))) hoping that your knee shows some improvement soon. It's a bummer and you may have to train yourself to position your knee correctly while riding. That could be a challenge but you'll accomplish it!:thumbsup:

Annie, I hope your forgetable dinner was good.

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful day and had a great weekend too.

BBL:wave: :heart:

Scene Chaser
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Good Day All,
A sunny and still morning here. I was not able to mow yesterday due to cowardice. It was just too cold with the wind. I’ll get’er done today.

((Annie))

((Doug)) Blue ears must go well with the red nose. :)

Lulu, a great look! What did the men wear?

JJ, shouldn’t you wear a support of some sort? Hope it heals quickly.

Ellen, twelve inches? You and Brian are hardy souls.

Char, the only plants I had in the ground were eight petunias and I easily dug them up and pulled them in the garage like Darla’s Larry.

Sylvia, Congrats to you and Larry. Janet and I had our fortieth on the 11th.

Darla, hope the tummy ache goes away. Probably just something not agreeable.

Time for a bite and then mow.
Bill

Strawberry Wine
05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Good Day Washers from a cool +2 C morning in the Grove. No frost last night here as the Lake being so close does protect us somewhat. One more night and then we start to warm up again.

June, my condolences on the passing of your sister Rose. It sounds like she was a brave woman who knew exactly what she wanted in life. Are you the youngest of your siblings

Sylvia and Larry http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/13320-images.jpg on 50 years of Wedded Bliss !

Geoff, glad you made it home safe and sound from your night of carrousing at the Pub. :D

JJ, other than in the Arctic or Antarctic, the oceans are in constant motion and contain enough salt so they don't freeze.
Purchase an OTC knee brace that will keep your knee in alignment when you are walking or riding your bike

Doug, maybe tomorrow we can see your spiffy new hearing aides when they are no longer hidden by those big blue ears you are sporting today.

Ellen, a foot of snow.... :eek: May it melt as quickly as it came.

Char, I would love some Birch Trees as welll You might find some saplings on Ted's friend's /former partner/ can't remember his name/ extensive property but they most likely will have leafed out by now.

Lulu, you look lovely ! It will take you a few days to get back into your own time frame so just relax until then.

Time to get some breakfast and get moving.....

:wave: to all

Cheers,

Gail

shipbroker
05-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Afternoon all........

Congratulations Sylvia & Larry...obviously a child bride...well done.

Overheard in Thirsk a few minutes ago a conversation betweena child with an iPad,or similar, and a Grandfather who knew nothing about them..brings following picture to mind...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/84585-babyit.gif

Very windy and frost forecast so the new bedding plants are going into the greenhouse till we return from Ireland.

geoff

LynnM
05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
:wave: Good day all! Cool but bright here, walking later. Have to do a bit of sewing for the Village today, deadline tomorrow for this part. I got my floors washed, livingroom tidied up (major job!) and my SIL moved my little press to the balcony. It is quite protected there, so i will be able to use it unless the weather is really nasty, or too hot....which does happen...I'll be working at first light in that case.

Lovely photo, Lulu! I agree, you need a black wig too :) The layers, apart from modesty, do give some insulation from the heat, so they say. But I think white is better. Yes, always good to get home.

Congratulations, Sylvia and Larry! that's a real accomplishment these days.

We had a lovely brunch yesterday, DD SILand DS and the three little grand kids. It was a very noisy place, I was exhausted when we left! DD gave me a gift certificate to get some flowers, so she will take me in a week or so. It was snow/sleet/tiny hail when we left the restaurant :eek: . Thank goodness no accumulation.

All the best for the day :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

JudyL
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Geoff LOVE that picture!
Sylvia congratulations! June, so sorry.

I should be having an easier time with my computer, Jack had done something to my computer that made it shut down and not save my passwords, and since I have, as in Pooh, "a little brain" should be easier

Our weekend was full, had to get up at 5 am to drive 2 hours to go to see my nieces oldest daughter graduate from Sonoma State University, we sat in the heat not sure how hot it got but it was HOT we all are rosy. Had lunch in Petaluma at a restaurant named "Graffiti" I did one of my "people pictures" showing her in cap and gown. A lovely day, if warm.

Jack surprised me with roses, and we had dinner at daughters house smoked salmon and asparagus, :smug:

I have noticed that now WC corrects my spelling! I LOVE that!

Doug I will have a PM for you later with yet another question.

TTFN

Yorky
05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi Lynn, Ruth did make a shawl but it was a little smaller than yours :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/1046-Penguin1.jpg

Hi Judy.

Doug

JudyL
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
June, I think I know how you feel. I also lost my sister this year, and I am the only one left that remembers the past. I feel I should write down some of the things I recall from my childhood.

Gentle hugs (((((((((((June)))))))))))))

kaypainter
05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
My condolences June. Your sister sounds like someone who would have been so much fun to know, and you got to know her for your whole life.

Wow ! Happy 50th Anniversary Sylvia and Larry. And many more.

And Happy 40th for you and Janet Bill!

Love the shawl Doug. :lol: :lol: Very fetching.

Welcome home Lulu. Beautiful outfit. And no, you probably won't pass for Saudi.

JJ you might ask a physiotherapist for some isometric exercises to strengthen the tiny muscles that attach the larger sheath muscles to to the bones. That can help with alignment. You might try Alexander Technique. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_technique)

We have houses that sink, houses that slide down hills and off cliffs (http://www.google.com/search?q=california+landslide+2011&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=chORUfKxIcHKigK484H4Ag&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1361&bih=960), and of course, the houses that go bye bye in earthquakes, floods (http://www.google.com/search?q=calif+floods&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ERSRUbSKPKPOiwLttIHwDw&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1361&bih=960) and fires (http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-brush-fires-torch-million-dollar-homes-lead/story?id=19098990#.UZET0JVLr8s). We like to do it all.

What Char! You aren't going to have them try blue ears? :p :lol:

Geoff :lol: :lol:

Annie poor Roger.

By the way heard on the radio -- astronauts are more susceptible to colds because of the lack of gravity. Their immune systems seem to be compromised by that. My first thought was -- all those guys on the space station with man flu and not a gal in sight to give 'em a bowl of chicken soup and cluck over them.

Well we've broken records on the heat front. I know it was at least in the nineties here and over a 100F in the Valley. Went and looked at air conditioners yesterday. I'm leaning towards a freestanding one even though they cost almost $300 vs. a window one that I could get for $125. The reason being -- I won't have to take apart one of my louvered windows. I can insert the exhaust hose in my sliding window and roll the ac out to where I need it in the living room which is the hottest room in the evening because the 8ft. picture window faces west and gets HOT sun all afternoon. Can't put a window unit in the sliding window because it will stick out onto the walkway which is against code. Although the manager did that. If the inspectors ever see that they'll make him move it. I suppose I could do the same.:confused:

Well I'll say bye for now. Got a lot to do today.

HAWLTAIN!!!

Uschi
05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Gosh, already afternoon, so GOOD AFTERNOON!!!

I had run our of milk and had to go to the store in the morning and OH MY GOD, it was freezing, that NORTH WIND is bitter. That poor, poor Robin:crying:

Lynn, wait until tomorrow for your walk and get out your winter coat:eek:

I honestly don't know where the morning went, spent a fair bit of time trying to get a true colour photographing my "challenge" painting. The camera did NOT want to accept purple.

Lulu, being honest, you look soooo much prettier in your summer dresses:) Can't wait for more photos!!!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SYLVIA AND LARRY!!!!! wow, that is a long, long time!!!

Doug, cute penquin, that's what I felt like this morning.

Geoff, YUP, that's about the right expression my grand kids show when dealing with me and computers:lol:

I hadn't planted my geraniums yet, so piled them all into the wheelbarrow and in the garage they went.

Char, awful about those sinking houses.

I am starving so will make my sandwich, playing table tennis later on and might do some painting until then.

:wave: to all here and all yet to come!!!

Uschi

LynnM
05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
:lol: Doug, yes, considerably smaller! Lovely job, Ruth, she's got character :)

I missed that photo earlier, Geoff, very amusing. Sounds like our family. One GS was running the video player when he was 18mo, they just grow up with it.

Roses, Judy, how nice!

Hi Kay! I went through the same thoughts when buying this air conditioner. There is a hole through the wall, but it is in a very awkward place, puts the AC right in a corner of the room where I want to put shelves. But I would have had to install the exhaust pipe for a stand alone one in the same hole, no windows with the right construction, and it just became easier to get the through the wall version and give up on my shelves. You'll probably have to find something to block the rest of the door opening so you don't just suck the hot air back in again.

Hi Uschi, I know, it's cold, but haven't walked for a day, so have to go. I'll just bundle up. Amazing how quickly we accommodate to the warm weather....even with wind chill it's still above 0C but it feels freezing!

villagernb
05-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Good afternoon, everyone.

Geoff, hope you and Eileen have fun in Ireland. I'd love to visit there someday.

Annie, hope you and Roger get over your illness soon.

Lulu, welcome home. You look like an exotic princess in that dress.

Sylvia, happy anniversary! What a wonderful milestone. My DH and I will celebrate our 38th in August.
I just saw my first hummingbird of the year on the feeder out front less than ten minutes ago. I had been getting concerned about them. I thought that they had lost their maps!

JJ, we have lived in the Maritimes for 30 years and although I am not an expert (on anything!) here is my understanding of ice movement.
Ice jams occur on rivers (such as the Saint John River in NB) in the spring when melting snow and rising temperatures cause the water level to rise and the river flows more swiftly. The fast moving water underneath ice on the surface can cause the ice to break up into large sheets and boulder-size pieces which move along the river accumulating together until they hit an obstacle; this can be man-made, such as a bridge or a causeway, or natural-a narrow area or a bend in the river. There the ice builds up, creating a "dam" the river overflows causing flooding. The spreading flood waters can carry these huge sheets and chunks of ice into nearby communities, causing wide-spread damage-destroying roads and other infrastructure, tearing off decks attached to houses, pushing ice and water right into homes, etc. As ice conditions are extremely variable from year to year, people who live near these waterways never know from one spring to the next whether they will experience one of these disasters or not. If it has occurred in your area several times, yes, it can become very difficult to obtain insurance for your property.:crying:
The other type of ice damage that is becoming more common in the Maritimes is caused by coastal ice "rafting". Ice does accumulate along our shoreline in the winter: again, amounts and thickness vary a lot from year to year, depending on a multitude of factors.
Higher than normal tides, strong winds and severe storms cause this coastal ice to break up into huge sheets or "rafts" (much like the ones shown in the pictures from Winnipeg). Tidal surges push these sheets of ice onshore with severe consequences--coastal erosion, the breakup of stone seawalls, crushing wooden docks and coastal boardwalks, destruction of boats and homes and cottages. In some areas this has become a fairly regular occurrence with the same difficulty regarding insurance. But we humans always love to be near water, and it takes an awful lot to drive us away!:D

See you all later

Anne

Island Nipper
05-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone, bright evening here, wind SW 17 knots gusting 34, sea rough, chilly 10 deg C still waiting for spring.

having a good day today.

My son found some old Kodak 120 colour slides of a gig our band did did in 1962, it was a wedding reception on a Thames river boat. I remember a beautiful summers day on the river with people dancing on the banks as we went through the locks. Happy days, I have the red guitar of course.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/1168813-new192661.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/1168813-new188921.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2013/1168813-new197391.jpg

Ah happy carefree days. Sold the guitar and amp to buy a pram:evil:

shipbroker
05-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Geoff......I moved to London in 1964 and went on a few of these riverboat trips.....there was one group who were ex Harrow & Eton with the most brilliant clarinetist....he joined the army and couldn't get a job as a bandsman as he was 'officer material'.......

Well I decided in keeping the plants in the greenhouse due to the forecast...20 minutes after the move we had a massive hailstorm so glad they hadn't been planted!

Lovely evening now bright and breezy with the odd raindrop,,

geoff

Yorky
05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Wonderful memories Geoff.

Doug

olliewood0702
05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
GEoff, you sure are a handsome dude, and that red guitar is quite nice too! WHat great memories you must have. I'm glad you are having a good day and that you dropped in to say Hi! ;)

LynnM
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
GEoff, you sure are a handsome dude, and that red guitar is quite nice too! WHat great memories you must have. I'm glad you are having a good day and that you dropped in to say Hi! ;)

My thoughts exactly! Glad to see you check in.

Lulu
05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
morning all, we have fog!

Welcome home Lulu. Beautiful outfit. And no, you probably won't pass for Saudi.

We weren't in Saudi, Kay, we were in the Emirates, so make that Emirati:).
Have to say it felt nice to wear.

In Saudi there are many restrictions, you have to wear traditional dress, women can't drive etc, but in the Emirates the women do have a choice. There is much Western misunderstanding about that.
Westerners do not have to wear the cultural dress, but my dil has a high position in education, and chooses to wear traditional dress for some occasions (and in some schools) out of respect.
The local women choose to wear headwear (abaya), or not, it is not compulsory. It is mostly black, but can be more colourful amongst the younger women (and certainly in Oman I saw that).
The men look amazing in their long white kenduras, and white headwear too.
They were sparklingly clean always, never saw a stain or spot on any of them (and I did look!).
The men are very handsome, the women beautiful with perfect posture.
It is a very peaceful and peace-filled place.