PDA

View Full Version : Another one Girl with a Pearl Earring

Sert
05-12-2013, 12:09 PM
This painting was a challenge for me .... very difficult. What do you think about it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2013/975566-IMG_1181.jpg

Yorky
05-12-2013, 01:18 PM
I think you succeeded, although the ear ring looks like silver.

Doug

ragman100
05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
I agree with Yorky re:the earring. The only other comment I would make is I think the lips are too red. You nailed the turban. I've seen a lot of other copies and have done my own. Yours is one of the best that I've seen.
Looks like mine!!

GardenMaven
05-12-2013, 06:49 PM
It was my impression from the original that the pearl was more egg shaped than round. Looking again, the to edge is "lost" in the darkness of her neck. Yours is a bit lighter in that area. That being said, this is excellent!

derek123
05-12-2013, 11:42 PM
holy cow. this is the best one i have seen here. you mastered the perspective and foreshortening of the eyes where others failed.

AllisonR
05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
You should be proud. I'd just call it girl with the silver earing. :angel: Also, I actually don't think Vermeer's looks like a pearl either.
You got the glow, the nice reflection of the earring on the face, the teeth and eyes are not overly bright.... One of the best copies I have seen. Only crit is transition to shadow from her left eye seems not soft enough. I think this is because Vermeer's overall face flesh is half a tone darker than yours, so when it goes into the hard shadow it is not quite as big a jump as it is in yours.

sidbledsoe
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
very good alison!
the earring looks accurate, the original is believed to not have even been a pearl.
quote from the essential vermeer site:
Its ovoid shape conveys the experience of weight and volume, qualities which are less appreciable in a spherical formed pearl. It is likely that a pearl of such dimension and form did not exist and that the artist had either represented an artificial one or deliberately exaggerated its dimensions, no great feat for a painter so technically proficient as Vermeer.
and here is the original:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2013/112587-earring_earring.jpg

stonycurtis67
05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
beautiful work, that must of been a tough one.

-stony

ianos dan
05-27-2013, 11:27 AM
That is one of the best copy l've seen in this forum ,speaking about Girl with pearl earring.One of the strongest points of this piece is the ear,that is in shadow ,but has small amount of reflection .beautifully done .
also,you have respected the classical method of painting ,thinner in shadow ,thicker in lights.
some areas are too bright ,like the whiteness of the eyes and probably the turban (is more saturated and darker),but with some glazes you will solve this minor problem.
Bravo

Sert
05-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Thank you very much for all your opinions and comments. They are very important for me, because they really motivate me.:)

Karman
06-05-2013, 06:17 AM
wow... amazing... :)

ural jones
06-29-2013, 04:40 PM
A very nice copy and my compliments to you!You are certainly an accomplished painter!A few notes regarding the girl with the pearl earring.
Many books have been written of Vermeer. Having lived such a short life (43 yrs.), we are fortunate to have this work to admire.This little painting is a discovery someone purchased in a dark store somewhere in the Netherlands. It was purchased for $2.00 US plus 36 cents tax. When the buyer got it home , it was cleaned and WOW what a pleasant surprise was had!
Thomas J. Craughwell wrote of the painting:"
The Girl with a Pearl Earring was suppose to be a study, the type of painting an artist dashed off as an exercise. But, Vemeer's study is a bona fide masterpiece, and at the heart of it is that earring. He made it with just two strokes of his brushand that small flash of white in the pearl picks up the white of the woman's collar, the clarity of the whites of her eyes, the flecks of white in the turban. "
I would challenge any statement that it wasn't a pearl.

rbpainting
07-18-2013, 05:32 AM
Hmm...at first glance, very close to the original in terms of colors and brushstroke. compliments! But there is space to improve, for example, if the face is painted a little softer, it would be nicer. And the nose is somehow a bit smaller than original. and one minor improvement, the pearl looks now dropped off, just paint it a little big dark so it would not be so visible. Anyway, very good copy because this painting is very difficult to copy.