PDA

View Full Version : Rublev's Portrait Set (x-post from Portraiture)

kittierue
05-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I've taken a full time job. What a huge dent in time it takes! Whodda thought? Anyhow, I've been sitting on this wonderful set of 6 Rublev pigments that they called the portrait set. What better way to get back in the swing but use brand new paints!?

So here's my dad about a year or so before he died. He was in the rehab here, and this is I think the last photo I have of him when he was able to still walk, have a conversation, eat, drink coffee, etc.

I'm planning to trace the drawing (silly me, I drew it directly on my w/c paper)so as to save time, and paint it again. I feel it's overworked and not as free feeling as my works pre-job were looking.

Anyhow, have a look and all suggestions/comments for the next try are totally welcome. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2013/222668-DSC_6891.jpg

Yorky
05-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Lots of character ther. I would darken the background.

Doug

pjartwc
05-12-2013, 05:16 AM
Oh, what a splendid way to remember your dad. You have a very nice painting style. The dad's portrait is excellent. I do agree with Dough that the background could use a darker value. By putting a darker wash over the entire background, you would not lose any of your wonderfully painted background, but it would quiet down some of its busyness (which works very well in the portrait). It would not only enhance the background, it would make the portrait emerge more powerful. I don't think you need to redo the painting. It is so good as is.

kittierue
05-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Doug: Interesting, I was thinking lighter, but I can see where some kind of unification is needed. It did definitely get out of hand! Let me give it a go and I'll post the results.

Jan: Thank you! I guess I need to decide if my background is warm or cool, since it has both in it. As we say in the south, "Oh, Lawd!"
~k

LynnM
05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I agree, super portrait, just reduce the busyness behind. You may feel that tracing will get you a better likeness, and of course that is your option.....but to someone who doesn't know him it is full of character!

kittierue
05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Finished. :clap: I'm calling it, "Straight Up Honest"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2013/222668-201304w-04.jpg

Yorky
05-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Works much better with the softer background Kittie.

Doug

kittierue
05-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Works much better with the softer background Kittie.

Doug

Thank you, Doug. It was a good suggestion, and yes, losing the edges in the background definitely were an improvement.

Lulu
05-15-2013, 04:21 AM
oh wow, fabulous work.........I have a tear in my eye for your dad.....and for you too. What a wonderful tribute.

pjartwc
05-15-2013, 05:40 AM
Perfect finish!!!!

kittierue
05-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi Lynn, I meant I will trace this drawing that is my painting, so I can reproduce it again quickly. My drawing is so stinking slow!!!! But I may try it again as a pencil sketch. I may try it as an oil painting.

I agree, super portrait, just reduce the busyness behind. You may feel that tracing will get you a better likeness, and of course that is your option.....but to someone who doesn't know him it is full of character!

kittierue
05-15-2013, 12:06 PM
To Lulu, thank you! He's been gone a few years now, so the pain isn't as sharp. I think my younger sister misses him more than I do. She was much closer to him than I.

Jan, thank you! I think it's finished, as well. :thumbsup:

sunychka
05-16-2013, 04:03 AM
Love it!