PDA

View Full Version : So much to learn!

dphock
05-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi, all -- I'm a new member here and I'm a watercolor beginner... But I'm obsessed! I am learning so much by reading the boards here and I wanted to say thank you for all of this great information. You've all given me so many tips and ideas and wonderful demonstrations and illustrations... I can tell this will be my "go to" place for information. At the moment I'm enjoying sketchbook style drawing and painting and I'm having a great time.

I think I'll be playing with some color mixing charts this morning. I love how you all have shown such wonderful and helpful examples! Very inspiring.
Thanks,

Diane in Northern California

GramPat
05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Good to meet you, Diane. You are right about getting so many tips and tricks on the site. There is a lot of good info here and so many talented people. Have fun and hope to hear more from you. You will find that people here are warm and friendly and aren't afraid to share.

Pat

diamondsutra
05-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Great! This site has been super helpful to me as I've learned to paint. Don't get too bogged down in color charts! It's a fun way to learn your pigments, but the best practice is just churning out the sketches :)

virgil carter
05-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Welcome, Diane! We're all beginners and all learners--it's the nature of watercolor. Good luck with your painting journey!

Sling paint,
Virgil

Yorky
05-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Dianne. Check out the "sticky" threads at the top of each forum for some great info.

Doug

dphock
05-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to spending a lot of time here.

Diane

pjartwc
05-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Welcome Diane,

You'll find that this is a great place to meet other artist who love, and at times, struggle with watercolor. And we learn so much from others!

Terranova
05-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Hi Dianne,
I completely agree with you: this forum is such a great source of education and inspiration!

I think, one has to practice as much as he can: paint paint and paint ;)
But I found out, that (I am also a beginner) I was really unsatisfied at the beginning with my color mixes. Hence, my personal opinion is, that practice is really very important, but for me it was very helpful to emphasize on color mixing, color theory a bit. No need to get into it too deep, but a bit of knowledge can help to avoid to be unsatisfied with e.g. muddy colors.
And it helped, to sort out which paints you really need, and which not (I bought way too much greens :D ).

Happy painting, I am looking forward to seeing your works :wave:
Gaby