PDA

View Full Version : inactive volcano

leverettfinn
09-11-2003, 02:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-11-2003/27711_inactivevolcno.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: inactive volcano
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 30 x 22 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
sick of working on this.... makes me think it's overworked...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Overworked?

boxen
09-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Nice job, the only thing that comes to my mind is that the green volcano and the yellow field has to much color - maybe u should make more grey (?).

leverettfinn
09-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi Boxen...though I do tend to push the color up a bit in my paintings...this one really looks "day glow" in this post....It is not quite that bright and saturated...I am mad because there is too much contrast in the photo... foreground and hills and palms are showing a lot darker than they are. Think I need a photography class! thanks...and I agree!

Lauren

boxen
09-11-2003, 04:58 PM
So you looked at a photo, yeah I take photos to as reference sometimes (most do I think). Maybe you shouldn´t stare at the photo just paint what feels right.. I tend to look to much at photos too when I for example do a portrait (shure need reference but not to force some detail that feels wrong).

Originally posted by leverettfinn
[...I am mad because there is too much contrast in the photo... foreground and hills and palms are showing a lot darker than they are. Think I need a photography class! thanks...and I agree!

Lauren [/B]

leverettfinn
09-11-2003, 05:20 PM
I ment the photo of the painting as posted...lol...though this is painted from sketch book notes and a few reference photos...it is sold and I have to frame and deliver tomorrow....yikes! Client likes it very much...I, however am much harder to please.

Lauren

giniaad
09-11-2003, 05:38 PM
I think it came out very nicely
the fore limb is detailed
just enough to add that kick of depth needed
and it goes on out from there
all the forms hold together

if I had to choose something to nit pick
it would be the sky
it does not quite have the same intensity as the rest
(imho)

you better get framing...
(don't forget to sign it)

capricorne
09-12-2003, 05:25 AM
No, strong pattern! But I should like to see more colorvariation in the darks, to make them a little bit more transparant.
Jan

pero lane
09-12-2003, 12:38 PM
I like it..it's vibrant and strong as the bright midground cradles the volcano and draws you there. Perhaps the sky may have been a little "bolder"....but it's good work as is!:)

leverettfinn
09-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Giniaad...thanks for observation...sky is washed out in the post...but probably could have been strengthened...Believe it or not it was already signed but was lost in the digital .... it's in all those darks! I HAVE had to un-frame...sign..and re-frame before though...DUH!...

Jan & Pat....thanks...as I said I was just so sick of it and felt I was too close to it AND didn't have the luxury of time to let it sit a while and then look at it with a rested eye! Thanks for the help...

Lauren