PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Winslow Homer Workshop ;)

diamondsutra
05-09-2013, 12:12 PM
... jk! Winslow Homer is long gone but his legacy isn't. I am trying to really figure out this painting thing and I figured a good way would be to do some copies of a painter I really like. I love Homer. I have a decent knowledge of his palette from research. I picked 15-20 pictures of his and I am going to be making copies over the next couple months. I'll update as I go along. Here is the first. "Salt Kettle - Bermuda." What did I learn from this? I noticed he uses intense blue (ultramarine I believe) on the horizon and in the foreground. The sky and most of the water is a dulled Prussian Blue. I know this was a favorite blue of his. Beyond that I used Prussian Blue, Pyrrole Red, and Yellow Ochre for the greens. I used yellow ochre, pyrrole red, and some indian red in the sand. Overall I learned a lot from this. Also he very subtly connects the darks - from the far houses shadow to the foliage and up into the main tree in the foreground, down into the shadow along the path. Enjoy! 11x15 on Fabriano.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2013/724272-Winslow_Homer_-_Salt_Kettle.JPG

olliewood0702
05-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Great observations Josh. Nicely done; thank you for the explanation of your process and what colors you used. I think this painting is beautiful. A success I think. ;)

Antiqueteacher
05-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Josh, I love that you are branching out into the World of Watercolor!! This is so good and I think you are on to something!! More, please!!

Katherine

Devoted 2Art
05-10-2013, 03:21 AM
Very nice Josh!
-John

pjartwc
05-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Very nice work Josh. i too, as are many of us, a lover of Winslow Homer's paintings.

springbaby
05-10-2013, 05:31 AM
This will be an interesting project. Great beginning! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to checking out the next ones. Did you apply these concepts to your painting in the Gallery?

Have you checked out this blog?

http://channeling-winslow-homer.com/

His knowledge of Winslow Homer is extensive and he has a lot to say about his palette and his skies. Have done some of his skies - challenging!

Gail

kayakartist
05-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Good idea, Josh...Homer is my favorite wc ist...in fact I have a print of Salt Kettle on the wall above my art table...nice job on this one...

diamondsutra
05-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Second installment! Not bad, since it's day two :lol: This is a copy of "Tornado, Bahamas" on 11x15 Fabriano. It was fun to use yellow for the sky and purple in the clouds. I used Prussian Blue and Yellow Ochre for the grass, cobalt blue for the water, and gamboge nova and indian red for the sky. Painting in the style of Homer encourages me to think about my mixes a lot more, since I know he used a more limited palette.

I was mostly impressed in this by how he composed the houses. There is enough dynamism in the shapes to keep it interesting. Also, he went back and forth between light and dark planes in them to make interest for the eye. Also, the composition is subtle. The yellow path in the foreground leads you to the palm trees at the left. Those and the clouds take your eyes along the rooftops. Quite a beautiful painting. Enjoy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2013/724272-Tornado,_Bahamas.JPG

LynnM
05-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Great idea, Josh, I love his work too!

painterbear
05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Wonderful way to learn about watercolors from a master, Josh!

I was lucky enough to see a couple of his paintings at a Show in Cincinnati last year. They are breathtaking to see in person.

:thumbsup: on your two works you've done so far.

Sylvia

diamondsutra
05-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Next installment! It's been a few days. I am accumulating a huge reference library of my own and been chugging away at those. This painting is called "Shore at Bermuda."

What did I learn from it? The sea is a really intense blue, so Homer left the sky white (at least on my monitor). The sky, sea, and ground are evenly divided into thirds. The sea is the darkest of the three, it divides the other two in the middle. The grass is a light yellow with hints of brown for interest. There is foliage above the roof on the far left, I think this creates visual interest as the roof touches the sea. Also, the trees in the top right corner and the wall in the bottom right corner create an < shape that leads into the house, the center of interest. Also, to connect shapes, Homer left a slight shadow that extends from the house and connects all the tree shadows.

Amazing how much you learn copying these people. I am learning the importance of leaving white on the paper, connecting shapes (he was very clever with it! you never notice until you make copies). Lastly, and on a more personal note, I think Homer had a deep, deep love for water. He spent his last days like a hermit near the ocean in Maine I think. In his paintings, the sea is almost always a pure, completely saturated blue. Beautiful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2013/724272-Shore_at_Bermuda.JPG