PDA

View Full Version : (Photos )Wynnum/Manly Waterfront (Brisbane - Qld - Austrlaia)

laudesan
05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
I went for a bike ride today, along the waterfront, which is 10 minutes drive from me.

My housemate and I were getting our gear on, after I had sat and made my first sketch.. when I gentleman in the car next to us suggested we head on left, instead of right as we were going to. Up there, was a bird bind for migratory birds, and a bird habitat in amongst a mangrove forest.

laudesan
05-09-2013, 08:32 AM
These are the Esplanade at the Wynnum end. This woman was feeding the seagull and I was shooing them so I could take a photo of them flying. She growled at me :-P It reminded me, Char, when Ted drove his car around and around through those seagulls so you and I could take photos. :-) Happy memory.

laudesan
05-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Last ones, and my sketches.. :-)

Thank you for looking..

Yorky
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Nice sketches JJ.

Doug

Undergoose
05-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Beautiful sky/clouds in those top ones! Nice seagulls, too...worth getting growled at :)

What the heck are all those sticks in the water?

laudesan
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks DOug.

Undergoose, those sticks are Mangrove sticks. You can see the living Mangroves alongside the water, the sticks are the dead branches/trunks.

Undergoose
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Interesting! Does the water shift around a lot and kill whole patches of them or something? With my luck I'd be the one growing in the middle of the lake going...heyyyy...are anyone else's roots feeling damp?

I bet there's not a lot of water skiers around there. hehe :P

villagernb
05-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Lovely photos and sketches, JJ. I don't think the seagulls would be too upset by being shooed--they aren't overly sensitive!

Undergoose, your eyesight is much better than mine! I thought the dead stumps in the water were a flock of small birds. Sometimes, we see what we want to see!

Anne

ReggieS
05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
JJ-
Your new camera really captured the movement of the seagulls! Thanks for sharing!

Reggie

Antiqueteacher
05-09-2013, 04:52 PM
JJ, great job!! So glad you got to the birding area!! Yes, the flock of Gulls look good in motion!! Love the pictures and your sketches!! Thanks for bringing us along!!

Katherine

laudesan
05-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Interesting! Does the water shift around a lot and kill whole patches of them or something? With my luck I'd be the one growing in the middle of the lake going...heyyyy...are anyone else's roots feeling damp?

I bet there's not a lot of water skiers around there. hehe :P That area is tidal. The changing tides damage the weak and young mangroves. Barramundi, Banana Prawns, Mangrove Jack, are some of the sea-life well worth eating that live in the mangroves. The mangroves themselves, protect the shores from erosion from tropical storms and the like. The red flying fox lives in them too, he is dependent on the pollen they produce.

Interestingly enough, nearly half of Australia's mangrove forests are in Queensland. In total there are 11,500 km2 of swamps. They are mostly found in tropical and subtropical areas.

I live on Moreton Bay, and there are a lot of water sports happening on the bay.. Look here (http://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/travel/destination-maps/moreton-bay-islands.aspx)

M.L. Schaefer
05-09-2013, 09:57 PM
What a beautiful place to live, JJ!

I love your sketches...the water views are almost a "culture" shock to me, since the Pacific is a wild place..lots of mountains and instead of submerged Mangrove roots, we have submerged mountain-like rocks! The water lapping against high cliffs.

The Bay looks more like home...all the green surrounding it. And, look at all that beautiful turquoise water!

:heart: Margarete