PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Wednesday 8th May 2013**

shipbroker
05-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Morning all.

Sori its me as starter again ..... the blackbirds have decided to camp in the contorted hazel bush almost outside the window.

Have to go up to garage this morning, in Swaledale, as car due its annual Government road test, more money!

Back later

geoff

JudyL
05-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Hi :wave: Listening to the DGD screaming at the ref's in the Sharks vs Canuks Hockey game (must admit one of the "not the Sharks" knocked one of the Sharks out (had to be helped out ) and got only 2 minutes in the Sin Bin
I do wish they would understand that they cannot hear what is being yelled at them.

later

Yorky
05-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Good morning all. A change in the weather today - it's raining after a few days of sunshine. I suppose we need it.

We are watching out for the roofers, our next door neighbour has decided on a new roof and gone away to avoid the mess.

Caught a cold on holiday so I have been awake since 3.30 am :rolleyes:

Doug

laudesan
05-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Hey all.

Well my body did a nose dive on me. Three busy days in a row was too much. I was sluggish yesterday, ad today downright pooped. Anyone want to swap immune systems. :D

:grouphug: to all in need. I am thinking of you, and blasting healing vibes your way..

doppler
05-08-2013, 05:16 AM
Hope I didn't give it to you Doug. She said somewhat less sniffly than, I think it was ? Monday.

Judy, I have often wished that ... despite the yelling they simply don't care.

JJ , just keep eating the organics.

Geoff, you must have the biggest dolls house :thumbsup:

Off to wipe my nose :wave:

shipbroker
05-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Annie.........none of them have blue ears though!

Starting to rain here but still mild.......Car passed test so thats another thing out of way...Caravan annual service next week...same day as we set off for Ireland....

Abandoned one of my acrylics and back with some paper and paints this morning trying to do mist/fog......

geoff

Ellen in Ont
05-08-2013, 05:45 AM
:wave: everyone,
I am pooped today too after babysitting Max yesterday. He is getting better I think but still not himself and feverish. My DIL's sister is back from university so she gets him today but he has a regular Dr's appointment this afternoon and they will get the cold checked as well.

Today is another full day planned for me. Errands to run this morning then organizing the shed that I didn't get to yesterday. I can't wait for Brian to give me a hand or the decorations would still be under the deck next Christmas. :rolleyes: We work opposite 12 hour shifts and having a whole day off together with nice weather is rare. Today is supposed to be beautiful but tomorrow they predict rain and a high of 5. So today's the day. I will also take the opportunity to throw out a lot of junk Brian has collected throughout the year so better he isn't here. :thumbsup:

My dress still isn't here so I'll give the post office one more day and then call the dress store to make sure they sent it.:rolleyes:

So that is my boring plans for the day. Waving to all before and after me. I hope all of you can come up with more in the way of fun to do today.

FLNH
05-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Warm and sunny in Coral Gables, but we are preparing for our trip to our house in New Hampshire. Although we are used to it, it is still a 1700 mile drive and a lot of stuff to move, including the dog. Fortunately, she likes the car.

No painting for a while...I just don't seem to be able to do it in " bits and snatches." I need to feel I have a lot of time to do it. But I feel "something's missing" if I don't paint.

It's nice to see "new" people in the wash.

I hope you are all feeling better and those beset with troubles are finding a little peace.

Uschi
05-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Good Morning!!!!

Some clouds are creeping in but not really expecting any rain, high of 22C. It is going to dip quite a bit on Sunday, that will be a shocl/

I made my decision, so today is the day I will buy an air conditioner for my bedroom window. I found someone to install it and he is even kind enough to pick it up from the store and bring it here:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Playing table tennis in the morning.

Ellen :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: that your dress arrives soon!!

(((((JJ)))))) sorry you aren't feeling well. Could that be a tiny little lesson not to overdo things???????

Geoff, I hope your muse treats you well today!!

Karl, a long trip but that is what snow birds have to go thorugh:) Also a lot of work but it will be so lovely and peaceful once you get there.

Annie, glad your cold is getting better and

Doug, sorry yours is just starting.

Henry, thinking of you and Leslie and sending best wishes.

:wave: Uschi

Lulu
05-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Guess who has also got a cold...? Not surprising really, but no-one knows, just dosing with codral & sucking cough lollies:)

35C here today & it looks like there might be a sandstorm in the desert not too far away, the sky has gone all hazy.
Have been to the Hilton for a buffet lunch - yummy food. Off soon to buy food to take on a picnic tonight.

olliewood0702
05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
HAPPY HUMP DAY WASHERS!

(((ANNIE))), (((JJ))) (((DOUG))), (((LITTLE MAX))), (((LULU))) and (((anyone else in need))) :heart:

IT's sunny and mild again this morning but they are saying a possible shower today.

We talked to Josh last evening and he's just getting over the flu, (sorethroat,fever, aches). He said he worked right through it as he's so busy; even working his days off. Now Marta has gotten it. She's going to go to school all summer instead of going home to Russia. She's an excellent student and takes her studies seriously. I suppose now Justin will get it too. He said we all need to stay healthy for our trip. So I'm :crossfingers: that we do.

He also told us that when he went to Italy last year he had jet lag so badly on the third day home that he thought he had the flu!:confused: I'm hoping it won't be that bad for Larry and I but if it is I'll just have to use sick days to recover. I know that when I get overtired I feel physically sick so not looking forward to it. ANY SUGGESTIONS from anyone would be helpful to eleviate or eliminate the jet lag.

They are saying we could get some frost this weekend; we don't plant our garden until the end of May first part of June anyway. THis year however we'll have to plant a little early because of our trip and hope and pray that the chance of frost will be done.

A co-worker's husband has had life saving surgery for a burst anuyeresm(sp?) and she's had to lose all her vacation and discretionary time to care for him. We all decided to donate one or more of our own vacation days to her to out. We gathered 24 total days to give to her! I work at such a great place; with super generous people.:thumbsup: Her husband is now in PT at a care facility trying to regain his strength.

Kaitlyn has been so sad lately and we are all trying to help her through this difficult time. Preston seems to not know what he wants and I just wish he'd end it for good instead of leading her to think they can work it out. She's so heartbroken that Larry and I are heartsick with worry over her. Jen and Matt too.

Kelsea is getting ready for her farewell dance coming up. THe one Kaitlyn and Preston went to last year at this time. Kelsea doesn't have a date and is going with a group of girls. It's a dance to say farewell to 8th grade.

We took the girls for their first Dairy Queen of the season last night; Kaitlyn drove. You know it's almost summer when the DQ opens.;)

I hope you all have a great day today and take care of yourselves and those you love.

G'DAY!:wave: :grouphug:

shipbroker
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Darla.....you are more likely to have jet lag coming here, i.e. West to East than when you fly home...so you may get away with it workwise....

Raining here, Eileen been in market and got wet...me, been painting in conservatory as too darn cold in studio....

geoff

LynnM
05-08-2013, 08:48 AM
:wave: Good day all! Lovely day again, I'm off walking, want to get some interesting beads for the next lace project. Just finished my first little shawl. It's not blocked yet, but being cotton it probably won't be much different from this. Learned lots, now I'm ready for some real lace.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2013/97813-cotton_Summer_Flies_shawl.jpg

(((JJ))) hope you get the rest you need.

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug: to all the cold sufferers and those under other stormy weathers.

Hope your day is all you want!

CharM
05-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Good morning Washers. It's quite cloudy this morning in the SW of Ontario and we're expecting rain showers to move in by tomorrow. We need the rain. Coming home from the gym yesterday, I could see lots of farmers working their land and the dust clouds coming up from the cultivators were huge.

I'll paint this morning with my friend. Then, I need to get some bread made. And I have Service Club stuff to do. That's become a new *job* and I'm just about ready to resign...

Darla... what a touching gesture you and your coworkers made for this poor lady. Kindness takes many forms and this one is awesome!

OMG, Ellen... I'm sure you're getting awfully nervous about your dress! :eek:

Uschi, it's going to be warmer in your area today. You may get some of our rain by Friday. How lucky that you've got help to install your air conditioner when you buy it!

Hi Karl... Will you take a few days to drive up to New Hampshire? Perhaps a sketchbook would eliminate that feeling of having to work on a *real* painting...

Mist/fog is HARD to do, Geoff!

:grouphug: to all of you who're under the weather! Especially thinking of Henry's Lesley... Take care everyone and have the very best possible day!

Yorky
05-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Beautiful work Lynn. Do you have a pattern?

Darla, it's true the West-East flight is more of a problem. I think an early night when you arrive is on the cards.

Doug

Scene Chaser
05-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Good Day All,
A beautiful, sunny morning here. Though, we may get rain later.

I have been trying to get my rototiller going with no luck. It is an absolute need if I am to have a garden this year. I just hate having to pay someone to fix it.

Terry, welcome back to the Wash. Glad you are happy having moved back home.

Bill

JudyL
05-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, we had a bit of a surprise today, unexpected rain :eek: this means the kids will need a ride to school instead of riding their bikes :sad: not really a bad thing, but also means we (me) will have to pick them up after school, including the BF, but not at school, too many other people picking up kids. There is a bus stop that is well used.

One week + 1 till my "Old Girl Scouts" reunion at our house, which means I really have to stir my stumps to make it "company ready" wish that came easy for me, so easily distracted. I do have to finish another pair of shoes that I started, needs more punch.

Oh regarding jet lag, the trick is to gradually adjust your time to where you are going, go to bed earlier/later etc, our sil did this when they came to visit us while we were living in the UK, seemed to work. Now when I would return to visit I would wake up at 3 AM but go online to check WC :lol:

BBL

olliewood0702
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
That's good news GEoff and Doug. Yes an early night will be in order I suspect. I'm thinking that Josh must have caught a "bug" from the flight and that is why he felt so awful.

Thanks Char, she was so grateful for the days and cried when she found out.

Lynn, WOW....that is just beautiful. :thumbsup: A delicate lacy shawl. You are so talented; you remind me of Doug's Ruth; always doing something creative. I sure wish I could stitch like that. I can sew AND crochet but sadly cannot knit. My Mom has tried to teach me several times but I cannot get the grasp of keeping my stitches loose and not so tight that I cannot get them off the needle! :rolleyes:

That is a good idea Judy, except that when you work you really can't adjust your time; but since we are leaving on Tuesday the day after a Holiday, Memorial Day we could adjust our time on that weekend before and then by the time Tuesday rolls around we'd be good to go.:crossfingers: THANKS for the suggestion!

Aww Bill...you sound like Larry.:o Our rototiller went kaput several years ago and we usually have to rent one of borrow one. It is a must if one is to have at least a minimum size garden. I hope you can get it going.

Time for my morning break, more coffee and a nice walk outside!

BBL:wave:

tstimpson
05-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Thinking of all of you with colds and sickness - hope you all get well soon :crossfingers:

Started out raining here but the sun is now making an appearance late in the afternoon!!

Spent the day looking at lawn bowling "gear" on the Internet - getting serious now :)

Going to Skype with our daughter and grandchildren later. They are back in Ontario, but using Skype certainly helps. We used it whilst in Canada to communicate with our son who lives here in Plymouth - never all in the same place anymore :( .

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Terry

Europa
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Well am stuck in the office so taking a few mins out to pop in.....currently sorting out stuff to send to small claims court - we are having to take an ex business associate to court to recoup money he owes. Have sent him three letters and he hasn't even had the decency to reply or acknowledge them....oh well - we will have our day in court.

Great news about those three girls they found after 10 years - am sure it gives hope to other families in the same position.

Mum continues to be in severe pain with her shoulder - it is not only getting her down but me as well - hate to see her suffering. We have had our lighter moments though as in this conversation the other day......

I gave mum another telling off about not standing up properly when using her zimmer...she said.....

Do you think they will send one of those psychos to come and see me....

ME - Psycho???....why ..do you think you need a psyche test?

MUM - well they can see what I need sorting...

ME - sorting....you mean in your brain?

MUM- (very indignantly)...there is nothing wrong with my brain (glare!!)

ME - well what do you want a psyche test for?

MUM - for my walking.....

ME - for your walking???.....ohhhh you mean a physiotherapist

MUM - oh yes that's it.....

Errrrrmmmmmmmmm......okay.......:eek:

Been beautiful weather this last couple of days but of course we are now expecting rain.

Re jet lag - like others I only experience jet lag when flying back to England from across the pond - not the other way round. The only thing I have found is to try and keep awake for as long as I can on the day I arrive home and then go to bed around 7 - 8pm....try to kick start my body clock again.

Lynn that is a beautiful shawl - you are so talented. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of those not feeling 100% - sending white light.

Well better crack on with these forms.....waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

painterbear
05-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Good Morning all,

It is 11:25 a.m. on a bright, sunny day here in Oakwood. Talking about rain moving in later though, but it is beautiful right now.

Just got home from my last class for beginners. Went well and I am optimistic about a couple of the students...not so for some of the others. ;)

No hummingbirds have visited my feeders yet. This is what happened last year, they never did find them. :o

Darla, What lovely thing to do for your co-worker. What goes around, comes around. You must feel good knowing they would probably do the same for you if the need ever arose. :thumbsup:

Ditto to what Pat said about combating jet leg when you fly to England/Ireland. We always tried to adjust to whatever the time was when we landed. In fact, once we boarded the plane, we tuned our watches to whatever the time was where we were going to land, just to mentally get acclimated. If it was mid afternoon when we landed, we stayed up until night before giving in to being tired. That way you don't wake up at 2:00 a.m. thinking the day is about to begin. ;)

Pat, Guess what is becoming the BIG thing around here....food trucks serving all kinds of neat foods. Growing in popularity across the country. Hope your family business is doing well too. :grouphug: to you and Winnie. :D

Lynn, That shawl is gorgeous. You are such an artist with fabrics. :thumbsup:

Terry, :wave: nice to see you again. Enjoy your "new" home now that you are back where you started from. :D

Uschi, Have you looked into those air conditioners that are installed on the wall....not through the wall or the window, but hanging on the wall itself? They are made by Fujitsu (http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/wallmounted.htm) and we see them in houses on Househunters International shows. Don't know what they cost, but it would be nice to still be able to open your window when the temps allow rather than have it filled with an air conditioner unit. ;)

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those on their way. White light and healing vibes to all who are ailing or aching or caring for those who are. ;) You know who you are. :lol:

Sylvia

villagernb
05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Good afternoon! Sorry to hear that so many are sniffling and/or dragging. We have been enjoying the nightly chorus of spring "peepers" (tiny frogs). They are a spring "treat" here before the mosquitos and black flies arrive.

Ellen, several of our neighbours solve the problems of taking down and storing their Christmas decorations by leaving them up all year round--especially the lights! :D

Karl, wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip north. This time last year, my DH and I were preparing to head out in the morning for the drive from New Brunswick to Atlanta to visit our son. The trip took two and a half days; the longest driving trip we have ever taken.

Uschi, congratulations on your decision to buy an air conditioner; I don't think you will regret it. Our short summers are much more enjoyable if you can have a comfortable night's sleep.

Lynn, what beautiful needlework! My Dad's sisters all did beautiful lacework, crocheting, and sewing. My Mum, on the other hand, had no interest in such handicrafts at all, so I have never learned such skills myself. I do, however, admire other peoples' creations enormously.

Bill, my sympathies re: your rototiller. Last summer we had the same tragedy with our brush cutter, essential for keeping our "wild" property under some control. Hope you can get it repaired. Paying someone to work on these machines is so costly!

Time for my walk. Already looking forward to supper--"Creamy Pineapple Coconut Chicken". Not too much work; I cheated by buying the sauce in a jar--on special last week at Sobey's! :thumbsup:

Hope the ones in "Sick Bay" feel better soon.

Anne

Lulu
05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Jetlag.....in addition to other advice take melatonin if you can get it. We used to be able to buy it without a prescription but no longer in NZ and so our GPp prescribed it - it is proven to help the body adjust and is what pilots and flight attendants use. 2mg at 9 pm of the country you are landing in then for three successive nights. Our hardest flight always is back to NZ.

LynnM
05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks, folks, for the nice comments about the shawl, it was fun to do! I picked up some tiny beads to add to the next one.

Darla, you do some lovely things, I still remember your super felted mitts, they keep coming up on my screen saver which is set to my photos, and I admire them every time!

New Gamboge
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone - just to let you know JJ - Dave saw TWO black bears around 6:30 this am near my cousin's barn just next door - and he didn't want to wake me up - I said wake me next time. And neither was the one we saw the other day.

I'm also fighting the cold - DGD caught it first, is still coughing, DD next, but she has the achy flu - so far I'm sniffling and coughing (spiced scotch helped the cough).

Lynn, that shawl is beautiful. My MiL used to do beautiful crocheting, knitting, quilting, sewing and lace making - I have all of her instruction books, but so far only knit, sew, embroider, and crochet. She could sew anything without a pattern - I'm not so talented.

Darla - what wonderful people you work with. Our DQ is open year round, so can't use that to predict anything! Betty

shipbroker
05-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Lynn....what a wonderful piece of work...really beautiful.

Little bits of rain,.nothing like what has been forecast although it does look as if golf tomorrow is off as my partner is having kidney stone problems...he is in constant generation!

Anyway back to my painting!

geoff

Uschi
05-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Good Afternoon!!

I had a good morning playing. It surned sunny and still is.

Uschi, How lucky that you've got help to install your air conditioner when you buy it!

Char, has nothing to do with luck but with $$$ . The help I am getting is bought from a company called "handymanconnection" and it is costing me $ 225:lol: I need a man:lol: :lol: :lol: but chances are that if I had one he would be too old to lift the darn thing anyway, it's HEAVY!! If I get a whole summer's worth of cold sleeping conditions it is all worth it!!!!

Sylvia, That looks neat but where would the water run off to???? Anyway, it's too late, I went and bought it at lunchtime:)

Oh Darla, that is soooo nice of you and your coworkers:heart: and a BIG HUG for Kaitlyn, it must be sooooo hard for all of you to watch her heart break.

Pat, I just LOVE your conversations with your mother:D

Lynn, that is one GORGEOUS shawl!!!!! You did say you knitted it, if you are knitting the next one as well how are you going to incorporate the beads, the needle is too thick to get through the hole and the other end of the yearn too far away???????? Have you ever seen those very lacy "knitted" on a round needle fancy table covers. Like a huge doilly, I have always wanted to do one of those, even have instructions for it but what would I do with it when it is done, doesn't fit anything in my home:D

Betty, sorry you have also come down with a cold. My friend Rita's SIL whom I met yesterday lives on one of the Vancouver islands and apart from bears they also have cougars coming to their garden:eek: :eek: She said her neighbour couldn't go outside because mommy and baby were resting on her deck LOL

Lulu, selfishly looking forward to you coming back home.

Bill, oh dear!!!!!!!!!!! You'll have to do it the oldfashioned way, the foot and spade way:evil:

Hi Anne, Terry, Judy and Geoff!!

Uschi

LynnM
05-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks Geoff....I can't take credit for the pattern, I am glad I found it. It is called Summer Flies, the little motif in the middle of the plain knitting looks like a little butterfly.

Uschi, thanks! I will be knitting the next one with very fine lace yarn, a #0 on the scale, and the crochet hook I have will fit through the #6 and 8 beads I am using. You stick the hook through the bead hole, hook it onto the next stitch before you knit it, pull the yarn loop through the bead, and put the loop back on the needle and knit it as usual. Otherwise you have to calculate ahead how many beads you need and string them first....far too much thinking ahead for me! This way I can add the beads as I feel I want them.

Betty, your MIL was talented! and it sounds like your fabric skills are not too shabby either! My problem is that I want to do everything, and I guess if by 73 I haven't learned to limit myself, it's not likely it's going to happen....my legacy will be a cupboard full of WIP's :eek:

Pat, lovely conversation with your mum, love it! :grouphug: to you for your patience.

More ((((())))) to all the cold sufferers :heart:

NancyR
05-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Good afternoon from partly sunny with spitting clouds Texas. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning in worse shape than the night before. The Chiropractor is not working magic. My orthopedic doctors now have registration/appointment setting on line. It requested an appointment at 8:30 a.m., and by 9:00 a.m. they scheduled me for tomorrow afternoon. The pain was constant for six hours, and just stopped. I am afraid to move in case it starts all over again. :eek: When I go visit mother tonight, it will be a hug, kiss, change her hearing aid batteries, deliver her "stuff" and head home.

We have a huge cottontail rabbit running around the backyards. We have blocked all the entrances to our yard to avoid having bunnies again. I do not think I could get excited about seeing a bear in my backyard.

Lynn, the shawl is beautiful. All my needles and yarn are in the attic until I need them again. I made some beautiful baby clothes for my youngest grandchildren. I even improvised and embellished on the patterns. My favorite patterns came from Spain. I still have all the books. After I retire, I plan on doing more sewing and knitting.

Anne, our neighbor has left her Christmas lights up and lights them up every night. She celebrates every Holiday with her "Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day lights". It is always so cheerful to pull into our driveway and see them lit up.

Sylvia, those air conditioning units are supposed to be very energy efficient. I know the ones that you are talking about.

Pat, I seem to be having the same conversations with my mother. Out of the blue she will start talking about something. It takes me a while to figure out what she is talking about.

Terry, Modern computers have helped all of cope with not being near our families. I love to use Facetime to talk to my grandkids in Florida and California.

Judy, With my back, I have not been able to do anything to the house. As I walked through the kitchen, I saw a nice pile of dust bunnies on the floor. By the time I get home tonight, they will have multiplied.

Darla, Our Dairy Queens are open everyday here, too. They have lunch/dinner menus in addition to all the treats.

Hello to everyone else, and white light to those in need.

JudyL
05-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Oh regarding Jet Lag, on our house hunting trip before we moved to the UK, after we landed and went to our self catering place, we went for a walk on the Waterside, to keep awake, we knew if we stopped, we'd sleep till 2. On our walk we saw a "For Let" sign on the Waterside and liked the place, we lived there 11 years. So go for a walk avoiding jet lag can bring surprises!

shipbroker
05-08-2013, 11:24 PM
So there you are Darla, Go for a walk when you land and u might buy a house here!

I am not Wash starting today, too many Kewpie dolls now.

geoff