PDA

View Full Version : Coastal village

frujin
05-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Hello Guys, this is acrylic on canvas, 28x35 cm. Again .. looks naive to me ... This time, I tried to properly define vanishing points etc. I was exited to find out it works and it is so much easier this way. Still, something makes it feel naive. What it is??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2013/1020452-njes800.jpg

dgford
05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Lots of atmosphere here largely due to your bold application of the paint.
I suggest you make the window panes darker than the sky otherwise it gives the appearance of a ruined building with no walls beyond.
The perspective has really given it reality. Congratulations.
Geoff

D.W. Flint
05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Nice and painterly. I like it as it is...

La_
05-07-2013, 01:06 PM
a lot to like with this one

the wonderful array of colors you've used to 'dirty' the white - that, is delicious

the green foliage is pretty slap happy, transparent even in some places - if it was given the same attention to color variation and application it would bump the piece up considerably

the most distant greenery ... could those leaves be much smaller? for distance ... and is that water peeking through? too bright blue? maybe?

la

Billycourty
05-07-2013, 02:05 PM
I would say that the trouble is your bright warm greens in the distance, if you darkened them the "distance" would appear further away.

regards
Jay

abstractca
05-07-2013, 05:51 PM
I like the composition and colors are great! it just needs a tad more depth, like jay said.......you done a wonderful job

harryfisherman
05-08-2013, 03:52 AM
I like the feeling of this painting. You might like this more if you muted the vivid green left fore ground. Also the greens at the end of the road could be toned down and maybe stumbled with Colbalt blue and white to send them back. The bright hues are bringing that section forward.

Nice job. Especially the perspective of the buildings.

Harry

harryfisherman
05-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Something to try.....Tape a piece of clear plastic over your painting.Then paint any changes on the plastic first.

Open the tree line at the end of the road. Put in an ocean horizon line in. Allow the viewer to feel they can go through the trees into the distance.

Get rid of the bright greens. Fore ground and background.

The trees at the end of the road ....... could be cool greens and blues to give the feeling of atmospheric perspective.

I hope this helps.

Harry

frujin
05-09-2013, 03:31 AM
Ohh that's very interesting approach Harry ... with the plastic. i will definitely try this.