PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for background?

Dea
05-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone,
My daughter has wanted me to paint a picture of tigers for her for ages, I've had this picture from the image library so long I can't remember who's it is but thanks anyway:thumbsup:
Has anyone got any suggestions for the background?
I have played around with it a bit colour wise but I'm not sure what to put there, the colours are more saturated in the photo than real life
Deanna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2013/40985-IMG_0521.jpg

pastel65
05-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Very nice painting. I am not good with backgrounds myself but really like the darker area around the Tiger on the right with the darker blue and green and wonder if perhaps the entire background should be like that with perhaps a few punches of the lighter color near your center of interest to focus the viewer on the tigers. There are so many talented painters on WC and I am sure you will get some great suggestions. (just reviewed this - I guess run on sentences are my talent :lol: ) Pam

pastel lover
05-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Personally, I like what you have here with maybe a few more dark greens & a few dashes of the tiger color thrown in. One thing I did notice, if you crop the top down to where the darker blue almost touches the edge, it really emphasizes the tigers. Maybe because the BG to tiger ratio is a little better or maybe the composition is slightly better. I don't know why but take a look & see what you think. Very nice painting, by the way.

Tanja

allydoodle
05-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Nice job on this, I'm sure your daughter will love it! The one thing you have done with the background is have a shape that mimics the shape of the tigers. Take a look at the dark blue shape and you will see what I mean. I would try to avoid that type of thing, it usually doesn't work to help the composition. Try to be abstract and simple, avoiding the overall shape of the subject as you don't want to repeat it. There is nothing wrong with the blue, and I like the greens you've incorporated into it too. Nice job!

Avena Cash
05-07-2013, 12:17 AM
I think extend the darker blue over most of all of the background. (Keep the touches of green though.)

twiglet
05-07-2013, 02:59 AM
You've certainly done your daughter proud here Dea. As for the back ground I think colour is a personal thing. For the record I like the colours you have. Has your daughter seen it, or is it a suprise for her?

Dea
05-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Worked a bit more on this yesterday, darkened more of he background so it is looking much better.
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions, I like the idea of cropping off some of the top but I think I'll work more on the tigers for awhile and see how it goes.
Deanna

jackiesimmonds
05-08-2013, 07:49 AM
I would always try to think about the tiger's natural habitat, and use appropriate colours. Google "tigers" and I am sure you will get loads of colour ideas for the background.
I did some badgers a while back. I simply put them lurking in long grasses. Easy to do, simple, and looked most effective.

Dea
05-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks Jackie, I took your suggestion and googled tigers, so many sporting teams! :)
Sorry twiglet, I didn't mean to ignor your question, my daughter knows about the painting,
Deanna