PDA

View Full Version : (photos) Caloundra Qld Australia

laudesan
05-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Caloundra or Cullawanda - Place of Beech tree (Kalowen) is located 90 kilometres (55.9 miles) north of Brisbane.
Prior to European settlement in the late 1880's, this area of the coastline was the traditional homelands for the Undumbi/Undanbi people. who were from the Gubbi Gubbi language group. Undumbi, Gubbi Gubbi and Dulingbara people were collectively referred to as Bungarnuba meaning Saltwater people by neighbouring clans.

During World War II, the area became key to Australian defence due to defensive positions along the beaches. Radar stations and machine gun pits were mounted, and Australian and US armed forces came to the area.

From the 1950's onwards Caloundra became a very popular place to reside , with no less than 9 gorgeous beaches to play on.

laudesan
05-05-2013, 05:46 AM
I think this was Kings Beach, but I didn't see any signs to confirm it..

laudesan
05-05-2013, 05:49 AM
It was good to see the life savers flags out..

laudesan
05-05-2013, 05:52 AM
I would have loved to have time to sit and paint here. :-) Some of these photos were taken by Tania... She has a good eye.

LynnM
05-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks, JJ, don't those beaches look wonderful!!!!! Would love to be walking on them right now.

GramPat
05-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Beautiful, JJ! I am so jealous and only an hour or so away. It looks so inviting. Are the beaches open for swimming or is the season over? I bet you were torn when you had to leave, but you have memories to paint in the future. Thankx for sharing.

How was the plane ride?

Pat

olliewood0702
05-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Lovely sandy beaches, JJ. You have so many lovely beaches where you live. It looks like not too many people wanted to be at the beach; the weather must be starting to cool down now. (?) Thanks for sharing.

laudesan
05-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Lynn, it was beautiful there, even when it started to spit. :)

Pat, I live 10 minutes from the beachfront at Bayside, and yes I am luck
so speak. Only thing is the beach at Wynnum/Manly is a Mangrove beach, not much sand, a lot of mud, and when the tide is out is smells a bit..

Darla, the beaches North of me are gorgeous. The kids lover them. I like painting the remote area's. Yes it is getting a littler cooler. Weather I love. :) Tania and Bevan had sweaters on, but I didn't think it was at all cold, neither did Reece. :)

ReggieS
05-06-2013, 09:47 AM
JJ,
What great beaches! You really have alot of lovely towns and cities near you!! Thanks for sharing!

Reggie

birdhs
05-06-2013, 11:07 AM
The Australian Tourist Board thanx you...

just one more reason to put Australia on my bucket list

greggo

M.L. Schaefer
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
JJ! How wonderful! I almost expected RED sand (I've been watching the first few million years of Australia on American Public Television (PBS)!!!!!

Those trees are so gorgeous and so exotic! What are they called?

Always a treat to see your photos!

:heart: Margarete