PDA

View Full Version : Santorini - C&C please

dkcrooby
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi. I have a dilemma. I'm not happy with the side of the mountain to the left of the drawing (not the little bit in the background). I'm really struggling to get the detail but my husband says I should just leave it now as it looks finished. That I'm the only one who will notice it. I'd like to know what all you lovely people think because I think it needs more work.

Thank you! Oh, and please be honest. :-)

twiglet
05-04-2013, 01:08 PM
If your not happy with it then you need to make adjustments. It is a lovely painting but for me I totally agree with you. I'm no expert but looks a little flat to me. You've got some great shadow's in the background mountain, maybe applying the same is all that is needed, especially to the bottom part. Hope I've helped

raxu
05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
... and I thought this is the reference photo..........
Simply fantastic. I am a newbie, have no critics or advice, just my pure admiration!

chuas2
05-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi there,
I think this is a fantastic painting! Beautiful...no crit from me!!
Kris

friesin
05-04-2013, 03:06 PM
at first glance I also thought this was the ref photo :)

If you are not content with the left mountain you should work it over a little bit: a few more shadows and sharper lines would make it perfect ;)

water girl
05-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I agree about thinking it was your reference. friesin has made a point about a few sharper lines, etc., just go slowly.

sketchZ1ol
05-04-2013, 03:51 PM
hello
a tough call because the buildings and terrain in front of the water all work together
but the further terrain has strong colour and crispness ...
> that may be how your ref pix looks , if you are using one , but
the strength of value/colour seems reversed ... :confused:

it might be safe enough to lift pigment off of the far terrain by daubing/tapping with
a tissue , cotton swab , kneaded eraser or other gentle material -
the intensity will be reduced without losing the colour+value ...
> try that at the edge of the painting to get an idea of how it looks .

nice work . :)

Ed

kayek
05-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Beautiful shadows and lovely blues. I am no expert by any means but I agree that the cliff on the left is missing some depth. Seems to be missing some of the highlights (contrast/shadows) that shows so well on the structures. Beautiful just as it is though!

adlercomo
05-04-2013, 11:13 PM
This is beautiful. You could overthink it all day if you want but I'd call this one "finished". Great painting.

bobbymac
05-05-2013, 04:41 AM
Overall, a very nice painting. A nice balance of sky to land and I really like the buildings in the foreground. To me, the darker colour and sharpness of the distant land should be reversed with the land in the mid distance. Bob

Colorix
05-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Your husband is right, but not for the reasons he gave. :-) I take it you mean the bit of rock in the lower left corner. a) it is in the corner, and should not draw the eye away from the lovely blue cupolas with the town behind, so detail and contrast should be low in that corner. b) the photo is taken in full sunlight, so that area will not have much contrast anyway.

Leave it as it is, it is just fine.

But, you might consider removing those sharp blue lines at the bottom edge, near the right corner. Same principle, this is an unimportant area, and the eye should not go there.

The intensity of the blues, and the rhythm of shapes are lovely, no wonder you wanted to paint that!

Katiepea
05-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Oh wow, this painting bought back wonderful memories for me! The building that you've created is very special and atmospheric.

pastel65
05-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Great painting - looks like you got some good suggestions about the mountains. I cannot believe how perfect the buildings are and that you were able to get such perfect lines with pastels. I clearly have a lot to learn. :clap: Pam

jackiesimmonds
05-07-2013, 03:36 AM
If it bothers you, then you will have to find a way to deal with. BUT be warned....if you make the rock area more detailed, the eye will have a conflict...what to look at....the buildings, or the rock area?

A camera is very UNdiscerning. It doesn't think about things like that. It makes everything equally important and sharp.

Ask yourself a question. When you looked at the scene, what hit you first about it? Did your eyes immediately go to the rock area, or those white buildings and blue domes?

So...what do you want to EMPHASISE in order to say more than the camera will say? There has to be a point to doing a painting, and the point needs to be what excited you about this scene, and what you want to people to notice, .................the point should not be just about copying a photo. What is the point in that?

dkcrooby
05-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Thank you so much for all your very constructive crits. I've been working on the picture more based on some your replies and I already see an improvement ... and so does my husband! I know who to listen to in future - ha ha! :-)

IMaybe
05-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Lovely wonderful work---are you trying to duplicate the photo?? I agree with what Jackie says---and also consider that the sun is hitting that area and there fore not as many shadows to define the rocks-----thats how it reads--and so no more work is needed there as it does look very natural to the light you are painting. It really is very nice work as it is-----and will make a nice painting for any home or gallery! Good job.

Tisiphone
05-09-2013, 09:41 AM
This is a stunning painting! It is amazing what can be brought to life when you put your mind to it.

Lisa

Bongo1
05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
It's a fantastic painting. I would leave it as is. Since you pointed the left side out to me, I do note that the sloping mountain seems off balance and a little unnerving. But, before I read your comment, my eyes went directly to the man made structures and traveled straight to the back. It's a classic subject. I love it.

Dcam
05-09-2013, 09:58 PM
You have some good advice here. I like this very much.

Derek

sketchZ1ol
05-10-2013, 03:18 AM
hello
stopped by for another look ...
good comments !

with my second look , there is a dominant red/rust of both the near and far terrain , so ,
suggestions for a bit more detailing on the lower left corner make sense ,
and perhaps also some more of the brown/gray colour from the part of the hillside above/right for consistancy and contrast of the distant red face .

the water colour does look very even and flat ...

maybe a bit more chroma/value push to the domes for dimension and to separate them just a bit from the sky colour .
a bit more also to the shadows of the white buildings in the foreground ,
just a bit here and there ...

the overall feeling is very fresh and clean . :)

Ed

John Palmer Fine Art
05-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Very nice, great sunlight effect.

dkcrooby
05-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Wow, thanks again so much for all your replies. I've made some more changes based on the advice I've been given so am a lot happier with it. :-)