PDA

View Full Version : WIP face

crafor
05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
oil on 9x12 Canson canva-paper (ungessoed)
Permalba white, terra rosa, Indian Red, yellow ochre, raw & burnt umber, thalo blue.
This started out as an attempt at alla prima, and almost made it. The (V left) side of the face and both ears need work, as does the (V Right) eye.
What else? Hard crits and all suggestions welcome, including on adjusting that side of the face. It's there, but too softly. Also suggestions for background.
Thanks,
Ella

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2013/978289-P5020316.JPG

La_
05-04-2013, 01:59 PM
generally speaking if you measure from pupils to the bottom of the chin, that becomes the measurement from pupils to the top of the head.
i think this portrait is overwhelmed with hair on top.
when i scroll to cover most of the hair, i like her - otherwise she scares me

la

crafor
05-04-2013, 05:13 PM
hehehehehe! That was one of MY thoughts, La--too much hair!
See, it started with that brown spot, V right, and grew. And grew. And Grew!
I was enjoying using that stiff bristle brush!

I plan to add a background, so some of the hair will disappear.
Haven't decided on a background yet, though.

or I could turn it to a beehive!:evil:
Ella

TX Rose
05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
It is really difficult to help you without seeing a reference photo. Her features appear realistic if she is an elderly woman. At that age and if she isn't wearing a wig, I would expect to see some thinning or hints of scalp where her bangs come forward - which, by the way, makes for a very high forehead. In fact, thinning her hair all over and toning down the darker hair, after her haircut, would make it look more age appropriate for me.

Aside from that and the points already mentioned, I would look again at her left eye (our right) and tone down the bright aqua blue as you did the other eye.

You have a great start and anything mentioned is minor and easily fixed. Can you post a reference?

crafor
05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Janet, thanks sfor your response. I wasn't ignoring you. Sorry, there is no reference photo. The subject is older, (don't know the difference between older and elderly), no wig, and no thinning hair. Her hair is dark, in fact darker than what I did. I hope to work on this this weekend. Still haven't decided on a background.