GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Steel Lizard
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Somebody asked me to paint this welded steel lizard, so I went to the river, got some stones and placed them all by the window. I was fairly pleased with it, but unfortunately most people are not, saying things like it the colours are too cold, they feel uncomfortable with it, or its downright evil.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All constructive comments welcome please.

jerryW
09-11-2003, 07:57 AM
the colors are fantastic
well unified and well worked to the ideas and eachother
the positionment is very good
the steel lizard separates a bit much from background for my taste at the left side of the painting. (I would blend in the (my) upper left foot a bit as if sinking in sand)

jocelynsart
09-11-2003, 08:25 AM
it is a very interesting subject. The title drew me becasue I like metals and I like lizards.
I am not keen on the two tone background; the 2 separate colours. Maybe if the blue one was thinner? Are they symbolizing sky and sand? I may personally have looked for a more textured background if it were mine. There could still be a difinition of a certain colour in the top and bottom. I would have cropped the rock on the left a bit, let it go out of the frame and moved the lizard away from the edge a bit more on the left. The rocks also seem to float a bit. I am not sure if I buy the lizard being metal, but I reallly like how you handled the lizard anyway.
A very cool painting! I do like it.
Joss

boxen
09-11-2003, 03:48 PM
I like the "metal"stones (if I may call them that). Maybe you should have another object in the painting maybe something "soft" contrating to the metal....?

designditz
09-11-2003, 04:11 PM
well some folks just think lizards are evil in general...I had 2 iguanas for years...everyone was terrified of them:) I Love your steel lizard, the two tones don't bother me..he does look a bit raised on the far side...but he is steel so I suppose he cant bend :) Its a surreal piece so really those things are up to you...i do like it alot!

bloodjelly
09-11-2003, 05:25 PM
I like it too, great idea. Maybe a little more highlights on the lizard to give it a more metallic look?