Good Morning all.

Blue ears territory again???

Bright and cool here but looks as if we are going to get a decent day

Back later

geoff

FLNH
05-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Still dealing with stuff.
Uschi...Iceland does get green and most of the brown areas in the photos will change. On the other hand, there is a lot of volcanic rock which stays grey and brown.

Annie...there are at least 7 species of parakeets either wild or feral in Coral Gables. Most are green and red and make noise. There are also blue and yellow macaws which are beautiful,quite large and also make a distinctive screeching noise. So much for my ornithological skills.

BBL, I hope.

Good morning, Geoff.

doppler
05-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Good evening Geoff ... No blue ears for you.

Karl, they sound beautiful even if they are noisy. The opera of sulphur crested cockatoos in the evening here is like fingernails down a blackboard but they are so cheerful and funny to watch.

Ruby has been ransomed home. :clap: :crying: :clap:

Loki is in and fed. Bo is out and being disobedient. Just for the fun of it. I'll rattle his plate some more.

Roger is cooking again tonight. :angel:

BBL ?

cloudchaser
05-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Good day everyone,

Another super day here in the Fens, that is three in a row, unbelievable !!.
Glad the weather has been so good as we have had the conservatory workers team here since tuesday. They took down our old lean-to conservatory (wooden) and have been replacing it with a smart UPVC one, nearly finished, so we will be able to enjoy it over this bank holiday weekend:clap: . They really have done a super job of it, money well spent!

Karl , I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved father, my condolences to you.

I have been off work while the workers have been here but am going in tomorrow to catch up. Tomorrow is my 64th birthday, so only one year till retirement:clap: , not a moment too soon, as my body keeps telling me.

My wife Pat and I are going out for the day on saturday as a birthday treat. We are going to Bury-st-Edmunds in Suffolk, a lovely town with quaint small shops plus the cathedral gardens which are spectacular, with all their colourful flower beds to sit and relax in. In the grounds of the cathedral are also the ruins of an abbey where Knights and Barons gathered in 1214 prior to the signing of the Magna Carta, giving rights to common man in Britain. All in all Bury is a nice day out!

My garden is starting to really blossom now with this nice weather, leaves are shooting out on trees and shrubs, as are flowers. My veg seeds are finally starting to emerge from the soil, well netted to keep off the preditors. Have planted Onion sets this year, first time for many years, so hope it will be drier than last summer to ripen crop.

Hope you all have a great Thurday, painting if possible, but enjoy anyway.

(((((White light)))) to all in pain or discomfort.

Take care
Regards
Tony.:wave:

Uschi
05-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Good Morning!!!

Bright sunshine and temperature to go up to 22C.

The arrival of Spring was late but now, like with Tony, everything is bursting forth and actually early.

As mentioned before, some of us are going to visit the Kitchener table tennis group this afternoon. Not sure yet what I will do in the morning, I think some housework.

Tony, I LOVE sun rooms, that is what we call conservatories over here. Light, light, lots of light:clap: :clap:

So Annie, are the :crying: tears of joy because you have Ruby back or sadness over the huge amount of money she cost you.

:wave: to Karl and Geoff!!

Uschi

Ellen in Ont
05-02-2013, 08:05 AM
:wave: everyone,
It was a beautiful warm day yesterday and I was able to get some yard work done. However, when your children live close, plans need to be fluid. We ended up having to pick up Max from daycare (my son was stuck at work later than planned), bring him home and feed him, and stayed to give him his bath and put him to bed. So today I have to get everything done that I was supposed to do yesterday plus today's list. But I never regret spending time with Max. :D

It is supposed to rain today and a high of 7 so yard work will have to stop when that starts, but the rain will help melt the last of the snow and wash the dust and dirt away that accumulated over winter.

Annie - great that Ruby is back home.

Good morning Geoff, Karl, Tony and all who follow. I'm off to get a cup of coffee before starting my list.

LauraRussell
05-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Afternoon everyone :wave:

Was MIA yesterday - collected my Mum from the airport at an uncivilised time of day and I'm still very, very sleepy despite a good nights sleep. Just back now from a meeting with my supervisor. We are working on a paper that we both know is slightly doomed and may never get published. We are very stubborn!

Halfway through the next painting and I have found some old sketches this morning which means I need to add at least 10 more paintings and drawings to my already-lengthy list of 'things to be drawn/painted.' Thank goodness no one is commissioning me :lol:

Strawberry Wine
05-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Morning Washers !

Another beautiful Spring day in the making. Yesterday was just perfect and we got quite a bit accomplished We have at least one more day of raking, moving dirt and seeding. We are sore and not moving as quickly as we did on Tuesday so it may be two more days. ;)

Tony , Bury sounds like an excellent spot to celebrate your birthday. Have a wonderful day!

Karl, Iceland is such an interesting country, from what I have seen on the Television. Bananas and Parrots in mostly a cold icy country. Will you be loading more of your photos from there into the RIL ?

Uschi, I find that the Squirrels love the red tulips.... and most of my yellows are in bloom at the momemt and a few of them have been bitten by the rabbit (s) If I remember correctly the pastels that bloom in a few weeks time are not touched. Maybe because there is so much else to munch on including the yellow dandelions.

Wagging Finger !!! Enough all ready. It was NOT Too Hot, yesterday... It was beautiful. It was perfect.! :) :D :) No whinging !

Annie, glad Ruby has returned from her ***** vacation.

Sylvia, have you tried using a cane when you have to walk a greater distance more than usual. I find it helps a lot!

Time to get moving . :wave: to all

Cheers

Gail

wcartistsr
05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Good morning. Sunny and to be warm today like yesterday. We even turned on our air last night as I cannot sleep under my bipap mask when it is above 70. Think I will keep it on yet today. Seems silly to run it so early, but needs must.

Did some more weeding yesterday, finished cleaning the studio, and sorted through a box of photos that I had for reference. Threw out a lot of them, and the rest I am going to scan into the computer so that will be one less box in the closet.

Annie, glad you have your car back again.
Tony, enjoy your day out with your wife on her birthday. Sound like a perfect plan.

Not sure of plans today. Perhaps more weeding and scanning those photos, and we need to go pick up some fresh fruit and eggs.

Shirley

olliewood0702
05-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Happy Thursday all;

It's sunny and warm this morning and another nice SUMMER day is in the making.

Gail, here it was just too humid and warm yesterday for this early. It was 83F with about 80% humidity. But I don't want to complain as I'm ready for nice weather.

Larry cut all the grass and trimmed our lawn last evening. It looks so nice. I still need to get out in my perennial garden and clean it up. Maybe this weekend.

Kaitlyn called me last night to talk. She's so devastated about her break up with her boyfriend. Her heart is broken and so is mine for her.:crying: This is SOOO hard to watch. The last thing she wants to hear is "you'll find another" which is what Larry said. UGH...:rolleyes: :confused:

I ran errands after work last evening and got home at 8pm just in time to watch American Idol. The last four girls are AMAZING singers so whoever goes home tonight will still have a music career. No errands for today as we will have the girls tonight but tomorrow grocery day.

I picked up more things for our trip last night and will start organizing our suitcases. Careful planning is a must in order to pack just what we need and not any extra stuff.:thumbsup:

Sylvia, I hear you about your knees, too much walking will do that and then we pay for it later. We will be doing a lot of walking on our trip so I hope I'll be able to keep up.:crossfingers:

Gail, you and Dan are doing a lot of yard work; you'll have it all done before you know it. Be careful though that you don't do too much.

Ellen, yes spending time with Max takes precedence(sp?) over anything else. They are only little for such a little bit of time. Your chores will wait.

Annie, WHOOHOO.....Ruby has returned....

Geoff, enjoy our decent day whatever you have in store.

Tony, you'll sure enjoy your conservatory with the windows in it. Our plants are coming up nicely too.

FLNH, we've been sleeping with our windows open the last two nights and the birds start their morning song around 4am! I love their chirping though and it's a delightful way to wake up.

Uschi, nah don't do any housework today.....PAINT!:D

Hi there Laura, I'm at work too; have a great work-day!

Shirley, good for you downsizing by eliminating boxes...that is always good.:thumbsup:

I hope you all have a most REMARKABLE day and can insert some creativity into your day.:wave: :heart:

Scene Chaser
05-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Good Day All,
Beautiful sunny day.

I potted all my garden plants yesterday in a mix of soil, vermiculite and worm compost. You'll remember that I raise worms which transform my kitchen waste into a wonderful and powerful fertilizer.

I'll be trying to prepare the garden today. At least mow and mulch all the old vegetation.

Bill

LynnM
05-02-2013, 09:16 AM
:wave: Good day all! Looks like another nice one out there, hope it does not get too hot for my walk home, it was shirt sleeve and shorts weather yesterday.

The fashion show was a little jumbled, several people had to cancel, and that left less time for us to rush and change for our second costume.....especially since the change rooms were a story and 1/2 the building away! Thank goodness for the elevator. Amazing club house, though, huge rooms and high ceilings, every picture on the wall a painting, some historic, it was fun just looking at them. In the room where we waited to go on, was a grand piano, a player piano! tinkling away the whole time. And a bar in the corner, but he wasn't serving us. We had cheese and crackers out for us to snack, but not what we were hoping!

Here's my second costume. The style dates from the 1790's, a softer lighter dress than the huge hoops and dressed wigs from 10 years previous. Ladies could go without so much corsetting, some still wore wigs (!) and the big hats are classic. The dress is front opening with an apron front that has strings that tie in front, with a high empire 'waistline'. The fabric is a cotton with a cord running through, and the wandering flowers are typical of the time, as are the very long sleeves. I carry a fan, and we needed it yesterday, they didn't have the air conditioning on in the building, one flaw, at least, in an otherwise delightful experience!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/97813-Me_in_1790_costume_with_wig.jpg

Great to hear of so many of us out in the gardens, spring is finally here :clap:

Have fun in Kitchener, Uschi.

Too bad about Kaitlyn, Darla, it does wrench your heart, good that she has you to listen.

I'm off to the gallery, hope you all have a rewarding
day! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:'

edit: we cross posted Bill.....

shipbroker
05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Lovely day breezy but very sunny. been into Kendal on the Lakes today and bought some clothes at an outlet....very pleased.

Darla add another week to ur stay here, you will need it!

Tony where are you?Ely area perhaps??

geoff

FLNH
05-02-2013, 09:36 AM
More Iceland.
This is the "real" geyser as the name was first used in Iceland.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03651_600x800.jpg
A lake in the center of Reykjavik. The City Hall buildings are on this beautiful lake.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03683_800x600.jpg
A nice harbor scene
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03668_800x600.jpg
A view on the Reykjanes Peninsula on the way to the airport. 50 MPH wind and rain. Very rugged landscape.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03757_800x600.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03767_800x600.jpg
The Blue Lagoon is one of the most visited sites in Iceland. It actually is an artificial lake created by the outflow from one of the geothermal facilities so the water is quite warm and the area is quite large which is not evdient from the picture. My wife is waving. Of course, the photo is taken through a large glass window as the guide and I shared a cup of wonderful Icelandic coffee.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03783_800x600.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03767_800x600.jpg
The last picture is a perfect day in Central Park in NYC where we stopped on the way back to Florida.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/228602-DSC03829_800x600.jpg

Gail..I have never uploaded anything to the RIL. Are there any particular type of photos that are useful?

As before, anyone may use any of my photos.

Uschi
05-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Gail..I have never uploaded anything to the RIL. Are there any particular type of photos that are useful?
Karl, anything people might want to paint.

Lovely and interesting photos!!!

Lynn, ringlets even:D Lovely dress, you are looking good!!

Darla ((((((((((((Kailyn)))))))))) such sadness, such a shame:crying:

Gail, I'll wing if I want to:lol: :lol: :lol: Won't be long now:lol: I don't think it was the squirrels who did the damage, pretty sure it was bunnies, chewed right into the ground:rolleyes:

I think I'll make my way up to Home Depot to buy my geranium plants. With this weather come the weekend and lots will be gone.

:wave: to Ellen, Bill, Laura, Shirley!!!
Uschi

FLNH
05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Lynn, the costume is fantastic.

If you like the immediacy of Webcams, this site has multiple ones in Iceland.
http://www.livefromiceland.is/

JudyL
05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Iceland! I was in Iceland for a few hours, I think when we were still living in the Azores, I had to take our youngest to Bethesda medical for tests, and our return had one stop there. When we got out of the plane the ice was at least 12" thick and clear! :eek: I was really glad we chose the Azores cause Iceland was our other choice :eek:

One kid still here, their schedle is still wonky, and they will be here at 12:30.

So glad Ruby is home from the hospital!

BBL

WthrLady
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Good Morning everyone. I figured out all my posts to the wash the past 4 days are totally missing. No more posting from the iPad until I figure out why.

Karl - My deepest sympathy on the loss your father. Your trip to Iceland looks splendid. Please add those amazing shots to the RIL. :) I especially like the shot of the church down in the volcanic/glacial valley.

Henry - Thinking of you and Leslie daily.

Good morning to all my other washerbuds :D

The movers come in 25 days. I'm waiting for one order from DanSmith and I'm going to do Dougs May challenge, and then I'm packing up the studio. Paint, brushes and paper go with me in the car.

The military photography work starts up again on the 11th, I have the three days the movers are here off and then work the 31st, and leave on the 1st, unpack the house on the other end on the 3/4/5th, and back to work! LOL (yes, it only takes me three days to unpack and redecorate a house.)

:clap: Scout update: The Boy has his Scoutmaster Conference on Monday night. The only thing left will be his Eagle Scout Board of Review, which will take place some night between 7th and the 28th of May!:clap:

He went to his online school highschool "open House" yesterday as well and collected his catalog for class selection. HIGH SCHOOL ! ACK!

OK, off to figure out the iPad glitch.
Everyone have a great day!

olliewood0702
05-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Geoff, I'd LOVE to take more time but then I'd use up all my vacation days and not have any more until my anniversary date in October. I may need a few long weekends before then. ;) And yeah...this time away from all our problems here at home will feel like heaven even though we'll be busy everday. BOTH Larry and I need this holiday.

We will spend 7 days in England and 7 in Scotland. I'm sure there is never enough time to see it all We have everyday jam packed to see all that we can in the amount of time we are there. We are taking a day trip to Paris too.

Caryl, whoohoo....soon you'll be in that new house.:thumbsup:

Lunch time now and I'm hungry!

BBL

shipbroker
05-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Yup heard about the Paris trip Darla! i love the place.

geoff

Lulu
05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone, a scorcher of a day in the Middle East. Up early this morning to get to the camel racing track by 6am to watch them train. Was just magic, I could have stayed there all day
Yesterday my ddil took me to one of her schools in the desert which held a cultural day in my honour. Was quite the richest experience of my life and I couldn't stop the flow of tears on the way home. This holiday is too amazing for words, there is never enough time Darla.
Doug could you please move this to the current day, am on my mobile and the connection keps dropping off.

Lulu
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Oops I think I might be on the right day after all lol Have lost track of days and date...

Lulu
05-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I can't sem able to edit so another post to offer my sincer e condolences to Karl.

FLNH
05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Doug has worked his usual, Lulu.

Thank you. It is wonderful that this trip has been so magical for you.

LynnM
05-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Uschi and Karl, it was an interesting day for sure.

Interesting photos, Karl, lovely light, and I wouldn't mind a swim there. Was in Harrison Hot Springs in BC, a similar sort of experience, would love to go back!

It all sounds wonderful in the truest sense of the word, Lulu:heart:

14 days is about right, Darla, you will be saturated by then, and I find I need time to think about what I have done or it just flies by and I can't remember. Of course, that could have something to do with my age!

You hardly get time to breathe, Caryl! good thing you are used to it.

Quiet morning at the Gallery, at least for customers. Lots of noise from the construction, but it is worth it. They are doing the exterior brick now, and you can see how it all goes together on the inside, will be so nice when it is done.

WthrLady
05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
oh darla! It sounds WONDERFUL!

KUKU! I'm glad you haven't melted away completely! What a sweet thing for the school to do. Camel races! LOL! Mean critters :D

LYNN! Period dresses! I couldn't remember WHAT kind you created. Thanks for the reminder. I don't have the patience for clothes sewing. I can't imagine doing it by hand!

painterbear
05-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Good Afternoon all,
It is quarter to four in the p.m. here in pleasantly warm Oakwood. It is still about 10F above normal for this time of year, but it isn't too bad. :D

Enjoyable Wash today reading about everyone's happenings.

Put two hummingbird feeders and a red scarf out back today. One of our neighbors said they are attracted by red, so I tied the scarf on top of an old clothes pole that is set in concrete back there. It is midway between the two feeders, so if the hummers notice it, they should see the feeders as well. :crossfingers:

Gail, I haven't tried using a cane. I wasn't thinking and should probably have worn my New Balance shoes instead of my leather flats. They give much more support for my feet and knees. Took an Ibuprofen when we got home and my knees are fine today. :D I've posted my painting from your photo of the storm coming in in the Gallery.

Larry came home from his jogging today a little hot under the collar. A woman was walking her dog on a leash along the road where he jogs, but she was so busy texting she didn't keep the dog under control and he was snarling and lunging at Larry. So he told her "You better get your dog under control, if he comes near me I'll have to hurt him." (When he really would have liked to hurt her!). People are SOOOOOOOO stupid when it comes to their cell phones. He said he passes people walking their dogs all the time without any problems, but not today. :rolleyes:

Here is a photo of our dinner last night that I mentioned yesterday. It is Schweinschnitzel (pork tenderloin sliced thin lengthwise, breaded and fried) with kale and potatoes cooked in olive oil with pancetta pieces and garlic. Yummy. It is on one of our newish Fiestaware square dinner plates.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/9833-Dinner.jpg

The plate is more creamy than the yellow it looks here for some reason. :rolleyes:

Karl,
Your photos of the Iceland vacation are really interesting. Do check out the RIL to see the kinds of things people post there. Post photos there that people might want to use as references for their paintings. They will be very grateful when you do. :lol:

Lulu,
What a wonderful adventure you are having there. Which country are you in...Saudi Arabia? Dubai? I remember you mentioned taking a trip to Oman one day. Just think about the educational opportunity you gave those youngsters meetings someone from far away New Zealand in person! :thumbsup:

Caryl,
Sounds like a very busy month for you with working and preparing for your move. Organization is the key to getting both packed and unpacked, eh. I remember on one of our moves I had to stop the movers from packing the bricks and boards from a homemade book shelf in one of the kids bedrooms. After that I always remembered to look for things like that that weren't supposed to go with us before the movers got there. :lol:

Lynn,
Aren't you glad we don't have to dress like that any more. It always has sounded so uncomfortable when I am reading my stories from those time periods.

Darla,
After two weeks I think you'll be ready to come home even if you are having fun. Your trip sounds wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing your photos too. Sorry young Kaitlyn is going through so much emotional pain. I'm glad she has you there to confide in, hope she can come out of it soon.

Bill,
Checked my garden today and the lettuce and swiss chard are poking out of the ground. Not sure what I will do with the tomatoes this year. We only harvested four last year...the squirrels ruined the rest. :o

:wave: to all who were here before me that I didn't mention and to anyone still on their way.

CharM
05-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Good afternoon! We've enjoyed the most beautiful Spring Day filled with sunshine and warm breezes.

A friend of Ted's came out to help finish up the chicken run. Tomorrow, our little hen and the big rooster will be enjoying the fresh air. The rooster is not long for this world, I'm afraid. One of our neighbours has complained about his crowing. Personally, I find it joyful, but I'm not surprised that others don't agree. And the new layers will be arriving in about a month. Our little gal has just begun giving us an egg a day...

I did my gym run this morning and a little Service Club stuff this afternoon. Not much else. I want to dig plugs of my gout weed ground cover to put into another garden. It grows quickly (and invasively) so it'll protect these beds from weeds soon.

My dying laptop needs to visit the techs... but their charge to clean it has gone up from $20 to $50... and there's no guarantee that a good spring cleaning will help it. The battery has died and won't hold a charge at all. At the very least, it's going to cost me about $130 or so to just keep it limping along. Decisions must be made.

Dinner's cooking away... herbed chicken is roasting, brown rice is in the rice cooker and cauliflower is ready to be steamed. I just need to make a nice green salad and we'll be good to go.

Nice chatty Wash today filled with great photos...

Lynn, you look beautiful in your period dress!

Karl, your Iceland photos are terrific. Thanks for sharing.

Sylvia, your dinner really looks yummy!

:wave: Everyone! Have a wonderful evening/morning... Oh, oh, oh! Annie! :clap: for Ruby's release!

JudyL
05-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Oh the joys of Military Moving:lol: When we were leaving the Azores for the first time, I walked into the bedroom to see a mover busily dumping my travel bag into a box, containing our passports and shot records:eek: This was our first move with furniture :lol: I learned quickly. I recall walking into the room and shouting "NO! not that one"

WthrLady
05-02-2013, 07:45 PM
LOL. anything that doesn't get packed gets locked in the car or in a bathroom. Learned that as well. Our 1st move 21 years ago, I caught them putting the bag of trash (food) from the kitchen into a box! OH ick!

You'd think they'd at least ASK!

JudyL
05-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Oh we heard from people who found potted plants had been packed:eek: Happily not us :angel: