PDA

View Full Version : "Hero"

pastel lover
05-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is one I just finished (at least I think I'm finished). I took the ref. photo on Cape Cod & just fell in love with this colorful little guy. Would love to hear your thoughts & C&C. Do you think it has enough umph to enter in a small local show? 8x10 Wallis, assorted softies & a few pencils. Thanks for looking!

Tanja

mercbill
05-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Very Nice

pastel65
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Definitely enter into the show. I really like it. While the boat is great and colorful I especially like the water with the intense reflections on the left. this will be one of the postings I go to when painting water for ideas. Pam

pastel lover
05-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi All,

Mercbill - thank you.
Pam - thanks so much for your kind comments on the reflections. The glass smooth water helped. I really appreciate it.

Tanja

annette71
05-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Love the bold colors. The boat has a personality of its own.

Nice work.

Annette

pastel lover
05-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Thank you Annette!

Tanja

sketchZ1ol
05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
hello
a good find , and a nice painting . :)

there are some issues with the lines of the boat , starting with the bowstem , the bow gunnel , and/or the fairness of the edge of the hull on our left -

do a google search for ' boat structure terms ;
my search brings up " images for boat structure terms " at the top of page one .
> take some time to look through them - there are some views which are close to the type and angle you have with your photo/painting .

also , on my screen , the sense of a light source/shadowing on the boat is vague ;
the paint may be new , but even on a cloudy day i would expect some sense of shading because of the shape/lines of the hull , particularly at the waterline .

why all my blather ?
you have lovely nuance in a the water and vegetation !
the bouy , white bumper , and motor have nuance as well .
there are hints of that nuance on the rest of the boat , particularly the hull -

push them !

if the boat then merges into/with the landscape , voila !

... just my thoughts on what might take this from an entry to a winner ...

( i admit a passion for everything about boats :o :smug: )

Ed

pastel lover
05-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi Ed,

Thanks for all your thoughts & suggestions. I will definitely take a second look at these areas. Thanks again.

Tanja

pointy
05-05-2013, 03:07 AM
what a sweet painting, really nice water too by the way:) Lots of character.

twiglet
05-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Great painting, lovely vivid colours. Would think entering this piece in a show would be great. Go for it!

pastel lover
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi Pointy & Twiglet,

Thank you both so much for your comments & for looking. I really appreciate it.

Tanja

IMaybe
05-07-2013, 06:33 PM
What I really like here, a part from the "Joy" feeling of the little boat.....is, that this is a really well done comp--and a well painted background!! Very nice work. You do have good shadows in the water and grasses--:clap:

pastel lover
05-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi IMaybe,

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful comments! Really gives me a lift & I appreciate it.

Tanja

John Palmer Fine Art
05-10-2013, 09:26 AM
This is great Tanja and the reflections are particularly well done.

pastel lover
05-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Hi John,

Thanks so much. I like doing reflections but water ones are really hard for me, so I really appreciate it.

Tanja