PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo May 2013

trafford
05-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Everything is turning green and maybe we can have some nice Spring weather before the heat sets in.

We are continuing Photo Paint a Long through May. Some good pictures there. June has posted a new challenge, A Trois Crayons (Hope I got that right) and there may be another thread in the works.

What is everybody doing? Has anyone any good art books or artist biographies to recommend or any other kind of books? I love mysteries and wonder why there never seem to be any amateur artist detectives. Too busy painting while bodies drop around them, I guess.

Have a good month. Post your thoughts and doings or anything you like here.

janet:cool:

brianvds
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Everything is turning green

No it isn't. You just live on the wrong side of the world. :-)

What is everybody doing? Has anyone any good art books or artist biographies to recommend or any other kind of books? I love mysteries and wonder why there never seem to be any amateur artist detectives. Too busy painting while bodies drop around them, I guess.

There is a whole series of art mysteries in which the protagonist is an art historian, but I can't remember the author now, or any of the titles.

If bodies started dropping around me, I'd of course dissect them and study their anatomy, and never mind solving the crime. :-)

Have a good month. Post your thoughts and doings or anything you like here.

Will do so. I'm rather busy at the moment, what with tests at the school where I work, so I don't know when I'll have time for drawing and painting again. Hopefully this weekend. On the route I take for my morning walks, there are some American sweet gum trees that are turning all manner of lovely shades of yellow and red, and I want to paint some of those leaves before they all disappear.

artbyjune
05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I recently got the BBC DVD on the pre-Raphaelites: Desperate Romantics. I loved it, although my favourite pre-Raphaelite, Rosetti, came across as much more desperate than the others!! Interesting biopic and I'd recommend it.

tyree
05-03-2013, 06:27 AM
ive been watching leonardo's demons on fri nite....hollywoodish, but costume, drawings, and his ideas are terrific.....ive finished my picture of leonardo which i need to post ....and am now going to do tintoretto...self portrait.....tomorrow is the KENTUCKY DERBY, im originally from Louisville.....and im pulling for the guy from St. Croix USVI ...since i use to live there too.....make sure you make your mint juleps with makers mark....its the best:D tyree:wave:

snoball
05-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Everything is turning green
Yep, everything turned green here too and this morning it is covered with sleet and snow.:(

trafford
05-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh Boo-Hoo Snoball, I spoke too soon. Brian, on the other side of the world, isn't too happy with my weather report either.:eek:

brianvds
05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Oh Boo-Hoo Snoball, I spoke too soon. Brian, on the other side of the world, isn't too happy with my weather report either.:eek:

They always discriminate against us down here in the better hemisphere. :D

snoball
05-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Is this not discrimination?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2013/36183-may3-1.jpg

trafford
05-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Probably just jealous Brian.

Snoball...I see what you mean, it's weird but sort of beautiful too. :cool:

brianvds
05-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Another Sunday, another painting...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2013/142294-27_May_2013.JPG

Been eyeing a stand of American sweet gum trees for some time now when I go enjoy my walk: they have lovely autumn colours. So this morning I picked a few leaves and tried out a painting. As usual, I can't say I am ecstatic about it, but bit by bit, I learn the trick. :-)

trafford
05-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Leaves are great to paint. Like your shadows and the beautiful color. Happy Fall??

brianvds
05-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Leaves are great to paint. Like your shadows and the beautiful color. Happy Fall??

I rather like this time of the year. This morning was crisp, with quite a bit of a bite to the wind, and colourful leaves were blowing everywhere. An absolute treasure trove for the artist, because they all have individual characters, and there are more than anyone could ever draw or paint.

I think I need some practice with leaves though. What did surprise me once again, is just what rich greens one can mix up without using blue (I once again stuck to my limited palette of black, white, yellow and red.) I'm beginning to think I should make the limited palette a permanent feature of my work - I like the simplicity of it.

trafford
05-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Limited palette is a good idea...also saves some bucks. I'm terrible at mixing and need practice.

You mentioned an art historian mystery series (not Da Vinci code) Could it be the books of Iain Pears? Gonna give him a try. He wrote a lot of books, so if I like him I've got a treasure trove. :cool:

brianvds
05-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Limited palette is a good idea...also saves some bucks. I'm terrible at mixing and need practice.

You mentioned an art historian mystery series (not Da Vinci code) Could it be the books of Iain Pears? Gonna give him a try. He wrote a lot of books, so if I like him I've got a treasure trove. :cool:

I think that's him, yes. At least, the name definitely rings a bell.

azulparsnip
05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
greetings ya'll - it is solo good to be back here! In fact I went sketching today with our sketching group and got so refreshed I realized how I've missed being here with everyone at Wetcanvas!!

Oh, joy I am happy the photo paint along is being continued.

Rain, Rain, Rain ALOT here.

Brian - I love your weekend paintings. They have a still solid singularity about them and each has a little defect or idiocrocity that make them closer to reality. Great stuff!!

Yes, FAll is my FAVORITE time of year. It's neat to think of all the exhilaration on the whole planet with us breathing in fresh spring air and ya'll breathing in cool fall air….

Oh, my did you mix those greens without blue??? never heard of that. How, I mean what is the process< what do you start with etc.?

Janet I read Stephen Kings Duma Key last year. It was fun. The main character is an artist. His descriptions of the creative energies is so good I wondered if King has an art hobby on the side.

Snoball - Nice To Meet you!

I hope to do something to post really soon. I hope everyone gets a chance too.

brianvds
05-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Brian - I love your weekend paintings. They have a still solid singularity about them and each has a little defect or idiocrocity that make them closer to reality. Great stuff!!

Thanks! I seem to do much better when working from direct observation than from reference photos. I have noticed that work I do from life definitely looks more solid and substantial than when I try to work from reference photos. It also tends to be more accurate; for some reason, I simply cannot for the life of me get shapes and proportions right when working from a photo.

Which is why I now stick mostly to still life. :-)

Oh, my did you mix those greens without blue??? never heard of that. How, I mean what is the process< what do you start with etc.?

When you mix a little black into a bright, primary yellow, you get green, believe it or not. Painted on a white ground, it looks even brighter green than it does on the palette. Mostly never quite as bright as when you mix with blue, mind you.

I have also seen some surprisingly rich blues mixed up from red, black and white, but haven't tried that out myself yet.

Janet I read Stephen Kings Duma Key last year. It was fun. The main character is an artist. His descriptions of the creative energies is so good I wondered if King has an art hobby on the side.

I also enjoyed Duma Key. I am generally not very fond of fiction, and when I do read it, it is often ole Steve King. Perhaps I am not the most sophisticated of readers. :-)

trafford
05-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Stephen is always a good read. My favorite is "The Stand" I don't know about art, but he used to have a band consisting of fellow writers.

Brian...will try your mixtures and a few I found in an article. Just three colors.

If you all get a chance check out Tyree's portraits of artists in Blast from the Past. I told her to re-post them here, so they don't get lost in the shuffle.:cool:

brianvds
05-12-2013, 10:29 AM
As usual, a Sunday painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2013/142294-28_May_2013.JPG

A friend gave me a lovely blue bottle, and I couldn't wait to paint it. Clear bottles are common, so are green ones and brown ones, but blue ones are rather hard to come by!

I first tried to mix up credible blues from red, white and black (as I reported before, it is supposedly possible) but I couldn't get anywhere close, so I just whipped out my trusty tube of pthalo blue. Still messed it up a bit though.

With such richly coloured things, one is always tempted to use too much colour, ending up with something way too garish. In fear of that, I erred in the other direction, and my painting's colours are not nearly as rich as the bottle.

Oh well, will give it another try in due course.

I added the tomato for some extra colour. And I liked the curious bump on it - vegetables (and bottles, for that matter) all have their own unique personalities, well worthy of portraiture. :-)

azulparsnip
05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
nice one Brian, glad you drew our attention to the little bump on the 'mater.:D

trafford
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I inherited a blue bottle from my mother who died when I was quite young. It sits on the dining room table to remind me of her. Your bottle looks so much like mine. Nice work.

Here is a lovely painter I found through facebook, Francoise de Felice. Watercolors and paintings...check out her site http://www.francoisedefelice.com/en/oeuvres/ :heart:

artbyjune
05-23-2013, 02:33 PM
The blue on the bottle is a beautiful colour Brian. I have never used Pthalo blue much...it looks so good. I have tended to favour cobalt blue. Time for me to explore different hues.

brianvds
05-23-2013, 10:44 PM
The blue on the bottle is a beautiful colour Brian. I have never used Pthalo blue much...it looks so good. I have tended to favour cobalt blue. Time for me to explore different hues.

What I like about the phthalo is that it is pretty strong: a little of it goes a long way. Apparently there's a saying that an artist will only need one tube of it in a lifetime. :-)

Not quite literally true of course. And rather weirdly, I have been thinking of switching to cobalt blue just to see what it's like. :-)

brianvds
05-26-2013, 11:38 AM
I tried today to do a small (3.5 x 5 inch) little landscape in acrylics. I have virtually no experience with acrylics or landscape, so the result was predictable: a total disaster. I'd rather not inflict it on viewers here and left it half-complete anyway.

But looking at it an hour or two later, it seemed to me I could actually have salvaged it, and that I learned a very great deal in the process, so on the whole the news is actually good. Perhaps I'll try another one next weekend, if I have time...

azulparsnip
05-26-2013, 09:38 PM
I've been in a bit of a whirl wind the last 2 weeks. I started sprouting to sell to the vegan kitchen I work at one day a week. Here is the label's I've made to package the sprouts with.

Plus I started baking bread to sell at the roadside stand.

Plus the every other week sketching group and the spring gardening....I'm hoping things will be on an even keel soon.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2013/88676-label.gif

I hope everyone is well and enjoying time making art.

brianvds
05-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Nice label! The school where I work is about to start term examinations, so I am too busy for much in the way of art. But there is a school holiday coming up in a few weeks... :-)

azulparsnip
05-28-2013, 03:04 PM
thanks Brian, what do you teach?

trafford
05-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Robin you exhaust me. Where do you get all the energy? Like your logo. What kind of bread do you bake? I have started making strange looking loaves that taste good, just funny looking. Bread is so expensive I have to do something. Baking bread is the best perfume in the world.

Finally got some tiles done. Here is one of them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2013/42757-girl_with_lolipop_copy.jpg

brianvds
05-29-2013, 07:59 AM
thanks Brian, what do you teach?

Science, geography and history. But it's a primary school, so don't think I'm Einstein. :-)

snoball
05-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Science, geography and history. But it's a primary school, so don't think I'm Einstein. :-)

We didn't. :lol:

artbyjune
05-31-2013, 08:55 AM
I haven't baked bread in years. I used to love doing it...especially making up tastes by throwing in various seeds and using different flours. I am too lazy these days, unfortunately.

brianvds
06-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I haven't baked bread in years. I used to love doing it...especially making up tastes by throwing in various seeds and using different flours. I am too lazy these days, unfortunately.

The aroma of baking bread is in itself enough to pile on the pounds. At the school where I work the kitchen is right next to my classroom, and sometimes the chef bakes pizza. I suffer all day long, then go home and pig out. :-)

We seem not to have a Cafe thread for June yet, so I'll put my latest horror up here. I tried another little landscape painting in acrylic, 3.5 x 5 inches. It's better than the previous attempt, but still not to my liking. I got the colours way too garish, and the thing just looks flat and two dimensional and amateurish. But another hundred or so, and they may look a bit better... :-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2013/142294-2013_acrylic_5inch.JPG

Battling it out with the smaller bits and pieces, I also got the feeling it may be a good idea to invest in a pair of reading glasses...

brianvds
06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Well, I just couldn't stand that garish blue sky (in the original, it's even more dark blue than on the photo!), so I mixed up some much lighter blue and painted over it. That's one of the neat things about acrylics: they dry fast and one can correct the worst mistakes. It already looks a bit better. Will upload a photo later.

On the whole, the thing's still a mess. :-)

trafford
06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Brian,
This is a nice piece. The composition is very pleasing. You have two small lines in the background that complement the long line in front of the house. The blue and the different greens and the white and the red of the house. Very good start on your landscape studies.

brianvds
06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Brian,
This is a nice piece. The composition is very pleasing. You have two small lines in the background that complement the long line in front of the house. The blue and the different greens and the white and the red of the house. Very good start on your landscape studies.

Me, I think it is horrid. :-)

Part of the problem is that I worked from a reference photo, and for some reason I find it extremely difficult to work from photos. Another problem is that I never quite decided whether to go more or less for realism, or for a more stylized approach, with the result that the picture is now in the stylistic category of "none of the above." :-)

I think for a next attempt, I am going to go for a more post-impressionist look right from the start, because I have a feeling a lot of the problems I have with reference photos can be eliminated that way.

But I am longing for my oils and still life models (yesterday I got hold of a particularly beautiful bottle!) so perhaps that will be next weekend's project. If I have time at all, what with going to be in the middle of school exams, and arranging a star gazing evening!