PDA

View Full Version : After Heade

vac911
04-30-2013, 10:28 PM
All non kudo hard critiques welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2013/102972-541513_4055463685336_275487508_n.jpg

RCharleston
04-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I like this for its abstract quality....I'm not much into landscapes but I find this one interesting. There is a reflection of a (hay bale?) in the water that's evocative of an eye which I think is sorta cool actually........the hard core traditionalists might give you some grief about it (the old Composition & Design 101 adage, "beware of faces", i.e. inadvertently suggesting a face if one isn't intended - particularly in landscapes/clouds/etc.) but I think it works here.

objctv
05-03-2013, 04:34 PM
I've always been a fan of Heades. The second painting I ever attempted was a knockoff of a Heade still life.
In your painting, the foreground and middle ground definately look Heade-like, those muted colors are right on. I think the sky could use a bit more development to help it feel more "expansive".
Also, maybe show a small portion of the marshland stream snaking further back into the middle ground with a couple smaller haystacks pushed back, that will give the perspective a nice addition. JM

vac911
05-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I agree with you that the sky needs more work. Actually I left a few things out of the painting that gave it more perspective. His was a larger work and mine is just an 8x10. Glad to find another Heade fan. Thanks for your comments. Actually, I just got tired of working on this painting because I was testing the Genesis "heat set" oils and I discovered too late that the board I was using had latex in the gesso which causes bubbling when heat from a heat gun is applied to "set" the paint (see bubbles in upper left sky)!

I'm not familiar with Heade's still lifes but I want to try one of his beautiful bird paintings soon.

eyecandy2
05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
foreground is nice but the fields and sky are to wishy washy. The sky looks like you couldn't get it out of the way fast enough. Could be a nice painting if you work on it a bit more.