PDA

View Full Version : "Bali Sunset"

Colourist52
04-30-2013, 04:13 AM
This was painted from a photo taken on holiday in Bali a couple of years ago, still remember the beautiful sunset and the feeling that it just had to be painted. What trouble I've had with this! The skies been brushed out so many times and I'm still not happy with it but I can't go on with it. I haven't painted for about four months so I'm going to put it down to being rusty!
I've just been reading an excellent article & demo by Stan Sperlak in the Artists Magazine. It's very good, he explains things so well and his demo is ten out of ten! I'm impatient to start the next painting and try some of his techniques.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2013/106652-P1010709.JPG

pointy
04-30-2013, 04:58 AM
I see no issues here...lovely sky and understated waves well done:wave:

Colourist52
04-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Thank you Leesa, I've joined the latest project over on Landscapes, the subject
Is Skies, you're supposed to complete a sky painting or study each month. I'm three months behind right now but I'll be catching up soon and hopefully my paintings will improve by the end of the year.

Ruthie57
04-30-2013, 12:40 PM
It's beautiful! Love the way the Sun cuts a chunk out of the horizon, just like a real sunset!

twiglet
04-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Julie this is a lovely painting so head up and say I painted this (proudly) :)

Turpintine45
04-30-2013, 08:41 PM
It's beautiful and peaceful the last few minutes before the sun goes. Looks great.

pastel65
04-30-2013, 09:40 PM
It's a wonderful painting. Pam:wave:

Colourist52
05-01-2013, 04:03 AM
I meant to say that C & C would be very much appreciated, and also if anyone has any tips on painting sunsets I'm all eyes & ears!

Thank you Ruth, I used to think that sunsets would be easy to paint but not anymore! I think they are the most difficult type of sky, you have to think very carefully before choosing your colours and values.

Lynn, Jen and Pam, Thanks!

chuas2
05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Julie, I don't know why you're not pleased with this, it's a gorgeous painting! It just takes me to that beautiful shore in Bali, though I've never been there. It just glows!
Kris

Judi1957
05-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I want to be there! Lovely!

LoreneT
05-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Love, love, love the colours! Gorgeous!

Colourist52
05-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Kris, Thanks for your kind words, I guess I had a picture in my head of how I would like the painting to look but it didn't turn out that way!

Judi, thank you. There were some lovely beaches in Bali and so many spectacular sunsets. It's a good place for a relaxing holiday and the Balinese are very friendly, lovely people. You just have to remember to only drink
bottled water and to be careful what and where you eat.

Thanks, Lorene.

Dcam
05-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Julie: I hope you don't mind, but your painting looks so much better with the surrounding stuff cropped away?
really nice painting. Good job.

Derek:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/183894-Bali.jpg

Colourist52
05-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks Derek! It looks much better, I've got to try to use photoshop more often but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Maybe I should look for an easier programme.

sketchZ1ol
05-03-2013, 08:58 PM
hello
this is quite lovely and peaceful ( and colourful ) . :)

an issue ( which , curiously is in another current thread )
is the compositional use/division of thirds ;
when the scene/parts create bands of horizontals or verticals ,
the painting can sometimes feel inanimate/repetitive
and difficult for a viewer to share your feelings of the place/experience .

it's a headbanger that's as old as painting :rolleyes: ;
composing a painting and using/finding some variations that feel/seem less constructed .

then again , some people like a sense of order/geometry in something they look at often .
( i wonder if interior designers play with such concerns in 3-D ... ? )

anyway , as to the sky -
on my screen , there are bands of colour up from the horizon , and ,
not knowing the size or materials ,
feathering the division lines with sticks from each band may look like a smoother ' ascent ' , so to speak , of the sky .
... if that is what you want .

Ed

rsmith.1141
05-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Nicely done. Sunsets can be a real problem if you aren't careful. You got this one.

Colourist52
05-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Hi Ed, after reading your post I looked at the photo and you've nailed it!
Something was really bothering me about the sky and now I realise that it was those bands of colour, the separation between them is too obvious. I brushed out that part of the sky a few times trying to get the blending right, I'll do as you suggest and post an update as soon as I can.

Colourist52
05-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Thanks Randy!