PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Point Light

harryfisherman
04-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Hi everyone,

This is a 16 x 20 oil on canvas. All comments are welcome.

Thanks

Harryhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2013/113016-000_0583.jpg

Yorky
04-29-2013, 04:00 AM
Excellent foreground, lots of interest.

Doug

nathanperuvai
04-29-2013, 04:02 AM
v nice take care in closeup rocks

rossmarie
04-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Harry - this is lovely and beautifully painted. The breaking waves and the colours in the water are super. The rocks, cliffs and sky are also very well done and the composition of the picture is excellent.

My only crit is the lighthouse and buildings around it. IMHO, the lighthouse looks too "near" and I think you have given a little too much detail to the top and to the small buildings - in other words they all look a bit too perfect. Difficult to explain but at that distance I think you need to indicate the buildings rather than paint so much detail.

Well done

Mike:thumbsup: :wave:

D.W. Flint
04-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Beautiful work on the water, rocks and sky. I agree that the the light house comes across as a little stark. Also, I think the far horizon water line could be softened a bit...

harryfisherman
04-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Thank you all for commenting.

Harry

Rocky Barnett
05-02-2013, 04:58 AM
Beautiful work on the water, rocks and sky. I agree that the the light house comes across as a little stark. Also, I think the far horizon water line could be softened a bit...

I totally agree. The painting is beautiful, all that it needs is a little bit of ariel perspective on the buildings and horizon.
Would you be offended if I post a digital airbrush modification of it here to give you an idea of the big difference a very small (and easy) change would make make? Just tell me to go jump in the lake if you rather I did not. It's O.K. I really do think it is just beautiful already!!:thumbsup:

crafor
05-02-2013, 10:30 AM
I agree re the atospheric prospective and the building. Seems to me the side of the lighthouse that is not struck by (sun)light should be darker, grayer, and the bottom part of it would be also, maybe even darker, as the light there is further subdued by the even more lowered (sun) light. Otherwise well handled all the way through. I admire your skill.
Ella

Billycourty
05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Very nice painting, i feel a real sense of serenity but also the "passion" of the sea.

I would suggest that the rock with red tint to the left of the painting was a little puzzling because I am not sure what is reflecting that red light. It is too red to be ambient light from the sun imo.

Very well done though

Regards
Jay

harryfisherman
05-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Rocky,

That would be a very big help to see your air brush modification.

Thank you so much.

Harry

Rocky Barnett
05-03-2013, 04:14 AM
This was done very quickly (about 40 seconds) in a program called SmoothDraw.
The only thing changed, was I 'pic'ed a medium value from the left side of the sky and spread it over the buildings and horizon.(you could even go a little further than I did.) A glaze with medium (and a little time) would do the same thing. (I hope this shows up on the screen how everything gets pushed back.)
If your uncomfortable with doing a glaze, or the paint isn't dry enough, wait!!! I would hate to be the reason for ruining such a good painting!:crossfingers: ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2013/1205620-002.jpg

she1122
05-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Ok, I am going to add my two cents worth ! LOL First, I love your painting. I think your colors are awesome ! Two items catch my eye. The first one is that the two rocks at the mid point and to the left are basically the same shape. One being a smaller version. It would take very little to change the shape slightly of the smaller one and give some visual variety. Right now their similarity keeps drawing my eye away from your center of interest. Second, as I look at the last posting by Barnett, I see that you have purple coloring in the sky behind your lighthouse that extends right about to the midpoint of the picture. You probably want to avoid ending at the midpoint as it divides the picture and you probably want to have that purple evidenced in other parts of the sky for cohesiveness. I do see that you have it on the beach which is great ! Skies can sure be tricky to do. I have spent my share of cussing over skies !! LOL Isn't WetCanvas great ? You are probably getting more critiques than you planned !!

harryfisherman
05-03-2013, 10:54 PM
She 1122,

Than you so much. These critiques help a great deal.

Harry

abstractca
05-04-2013, 11:56 AM
wow! love the ocean and waves, great colors !!

eyecandy2
05-04-2013, 12:46 PM
You have done a great job with the sky and the water. Very beautiful. I do think that the light house and buildings need a little sea mist in front of them to push them back a bit and a glaze of blue might do the trick. Nice work.