PDA

View Full Version : Red and blue abstract watercolor (wip)

Newtowatercolor
04-28-2013, 03:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2013/1116442-image.jpg

So this is my final for my my watercolor CE class. There is a forth panel but it is still a work in progress. So my instructor suggested raising some of the values in the piece to make it more cohesive. Pictured are 3 18x24 panels. I feel like the panel with the red eye in the opposite corner I should increase the intensity of the reds... I'm open to any comments at this point... Thanks for looking.

CharM
04-28-2013, 07:09 PM
This is one of those situations where only you know where this must take you... what you envision for this piece will determine its outcome.

The horizontal caligraphy on the left (in the blue panels) is repeated somewhat in the middle red panel, but not quite as saturated. You might consider increasing that value.

One more horizonal on the right panel might connect to the red, placing that line somewhere between the height of the other two. (In between)

You might consider mixing some additional violet on the left helping with the colour harmony overall...

Aside from that, I cannot be of much help at all!

Newtowatercolor
04-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the input CharM... I know it's my work, I just hope it works you know...

LauraRussell
04-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Very interesting! I do agree with Char about adding in more violet on the left between the red-blue boundary to help the gradient.

And something that strikes me is that maybe if the piece is intended to be rotated 90 degree to the right, it does not need that extra violet?

pjartwc
04-29-2013, 05:33 AM
H Newtowatercolor, I took the liberty of cropping your photo (too much background interference) and making it brighter hoping that the colors are more accurate. This is a nice painting. If anything needs to be added, perhaps a brighter red in the center red panel to make it pop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2013/116333-1116442-image.jpg

olliewood0702
04-29-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm wondering where the last panel will be in this mix. I think that might have some bearing on your decision.

Newtowatercolor
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Pjartwc thanks for the crop... I'm doing this all from my phone and I'm kind of learning as I go with the moble photo editing. The fourth panel will go at the very top. And as for how it is hanging in the photo it is at the moment hanging vertically as opposed to horizontal as seen... When I get off of work later tonight I will get all of the pieces takes together and show all four in a vertical fashion... Thanks for all of the input so far guys!