PDA

View Full Version : limited palette , more colour , c&c okay

sketchZ1ol
04-27-2013, 04:49 PM
hello
another study from the same location ;
each turn on the compass points has a different kind of terrain ...

6" x 8" w on white canson drawing paper .

Ed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2013/203336-spring_2013_056.jpg

toniov
04-27-2013, 05:57 PM
This is beautiful too. Interesting challenge.

Donna T
04-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi Ed, you're doing some nice things with a limited palette! I like the last one too. Nice composition in this one - big masses and nothing that doesn't belong.

twiglet
04-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Great job Ed. There's a real mood to this painting that I love, makes it very interesting.

sketchZ1ol
04-29-2013, 06:35 PM
hello
thx Toniov , Donna , and Twiglet for your posts ,
and to all looking in .

it's interesting how what one sees in their everyday
sets into the mind as a reference when looking at different landscapes .
> my current residence is in a fairly narrow new england river valley ,
and there are many other variations of terrain or flood-erosion within five , ten , twenty miles ,
as well as notable changes of vegetation , soil , average temperature , and agricultural focus .
> it can be lush , or hardscrabble .

in this case , the location has a gently rising background in an old floodplain ,
and just a 90 degree turn at the same painting spot as that ' greeny ' hillside .
it ain't the rockie mts , but when the walls are close , so to speak , and then ...

many artists , so i've learned , have painted from this location , but most have emphasized the sky ...

Ed

allydoodle
04-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Nice sense of light in this one Ed. It's amazing what you can do with white drawing paper!

pointy
04-30-2013, 04:56 AM
:clap: Hi Ed, I am lovin' your new work

chuas2
04-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Great job Ed! My eye went right to the road, rested in the trees on the right, went further down the road, had a little picnic in the trees on the left, and then scanned the horizon. Perfect!
Kris

Ruthie57
04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Nice work Ed! I've been away so maybe I missed something. If you're doing a series of these I'll check them out!

sketchZ1ol
05-04-2013, 04:28 PM
hello
thx Ruthie . :)
the sticks are a 48pc student set purchased back-when , and re-found during spring cleaning . :rolleyes:

there are ' pale ' sticks in each of the primaries , secondaries , and gray which are
good stick blend with the rest -
many of the ' better ' assorted/introductory sets/brands of that quantity only have white along with the strong colours
so areas of high-key + colour are compromised by trying to blend white + strong colour .
> if a person is trying to learn value+colour with pastel alone ,
a set with some ' pales ' is better than stick-mix with just white or grays , imho ...

Ed