PDA

View Full Version : Negotiataion - Abstract

Luzie
09-11-2003, 12:12 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-10-2003/16199_Negotiation.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Negotiataion - Abstract
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This evolved while I was waiting for another painting to dry - a little here and there...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it make sense?

designditz
09-11-2003, 06:23 AM
I don't really pretent to understand abstracts...however I do like the colors and the shapes look like little party hats..I'm sure someone else is better educated to critique this.. but I like it for all thats worth!

leverettfinn
09-11-2003, 07:22 AM
I like how you've achieved depth in this.... I wonder if some more of the "focused" shapes were added... going off the paper in places (not too many)? What were you trying to say? Or was it a "waiting for the other to dry" doodle .... I like doing those "no thinking at all" pieces!

Lauren

jerryW
09-11-2003, 07:24 AM
some party ehh?

well the idea of defocussed "background" and well resolved Forground provides a separation and isolation which is exactly something yo don't need.
in this case the resolved dance of color does not reach the edges in a strong way so it floats - the idea is more stranded like that.

leverettfinn
09-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Whoops...just saw the title.. Negotiation... Is the negotiation between the spheres and cones? Interesting idea

Lauren

mattlart
09-11-2003, 07:33 AM
The clarity versus a defocused backround works well to my eyes, Luzie,..in that it creates a sense of depth and centers of interest. Compositionally,...I'd like to see it cropped from the left or bottom.

Of course,..that's simply a design preference;..since your focal points are centered on the canvas a bit too much for my design sense.

Abstracts are always difficult for me,...lol,.as they seem to RARELY make sense. Does this one? I dunno.......but, I like it.;)
Cheers,-S

Luzie
09-12-2003, 01:43 AM
Mattlart, thanks - it's amazing how different everyones perception is, either they love the floating feeling or they strongly dislike it but it's definately causing some reaction, which is nice!!

Lauren, thanks for taking the time, the background was laid down first for another piece that never made it, then in breaks from another painting I started outlining some shapes here and there and painted whenever I had a couple of minutes with no concept, on this. Pretty much in the middle of the whole thing the "Negotiation" came up, I tried to get it more organized, I thought it resembles all of the different things (shapes) that are brought to a table while other influences still manipulate the situation. The floating because "everything is still up in the air" since we are in the middle of the deal...might be farfetched but that's what came to mind:)

Jerry, thanks for taking the time, as I said before, nothing was really planned or had a concept until I was (too far) in it. It's a bit to centered that's for sure, I might continue on this on future breaks though.

Designditz, thanks and I think it has many "No-Nos" in it as far as composition and ecxecution but I also am a color fetishist and so it had to go all over the place:D