PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Morning.

aolaranora
04-26-2013, 10:30 PM
My reference photo was taking during our short trip to Monterey, California last September. It was our last morning there when we went to see 17-mile drive. I wasn't that impressed with it compare to other places we visited, but took few nice photos (mostly of coastal rocks and trees) what I hope with help of my memories turn into few paintings.
This is #1. Somewhere along 17-mile Drive, morning, somewhat foggy conditions.
12 x 12", Pastelbord, water-media underpainting.
C & C are welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2013/177144-IMG_7460.jpg

toniov
04-27-2013, 03:10 AM
Beautiful " impression ".

aolaranora
04-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Thank You, Alain!

Dcam
04-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I really like the "line" in this as well as the tone and colors....beautiful.
derek

aolaranora
04-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Thank You, Derek!
I personally like the part what hard to realize about this painting unless You know... The big mass of rocks on the left only has a drawing outlines and few light highlights... The rest of the mass is the board in its natural color. I put very little pigment on it, but it looks like what thing is painted with pigment. About the same effect is visible on foreground - most of shadows in the grass is gray surface of board. It was fun to paint. Look like every time when I'm trying to get away with lesser pigment it works for me better.

Donna T
04-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Very nice, Tatiana! That's a beautifully foggy atmosphere! You were smart to use the color of the board for the rocks - why cover up the perfect color?

aolaranora
04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Thank You, Donna!
I discovered a while ago that I really like that gray color of Ampersand boards. I just keep it as my mid-value and adding darks and lights to it. It si pulling all painting together nicely and harmonizing colors all over. I do use some sort of light underpainting for my lightest masses. Often gouache, but lately I'm experimenting with watercolor pencils too... I do light coverage of area with those and then just turn it into wash with touch of water. Same idea - I don't have to use pastel that heavy over it to create my light masses.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2013/177144-IMG_7451.jpg
Above - beginning of sky underpainting with Supracolor (before I washed it)
Below - underpainting for grass masses (Caran D'Ache pastel pencil, water wash). All gray around the painting is board color. And I live it uncovered here and there as part of mid-dark shadows or mid tones. As needed.

Glad You like the idea.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2013/177144-IMG_7458.jpg

I could use pastel pencil for the sky too, but I'll need to use more of it compare to watercolor pencils and it will not have the same delicate look even after I washed it. That's why Supracolor. (great pencils, BTW!)

twiglet
04-28-2013, 04:16 AM
Beautiful painting. Thanks for the lesson of less is more, I certainly forget that sometimes.

pastel65
04-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Beautiful. Really like the foreground - studied it for hints in doing my pastels. Pam:clap:

aolaranora
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Thank You, twiglet and pastel65 !

pointy
04-30-2013, 05:03 AM
Beautiful Tatiana...it really reminds me of Monet's Etretat paintings :clap:

aolaranora
04-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Thank You, Leesa!
I looked up that Monet's painting, not sure, if I saw it before... I more aware of his garden series... But I have to agree - there is some similarity what I see too. In fact it also might have to do with the fact that area of Normandy Monet was painting and coastal area around Monterey do look pretty similar as well. Interesting... Thank you for pointing it out! :-)