PDA

View Full Version : Draw the Special Animals in Your Life

CherieHaas
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
I love my dog, Cowgirl.

Well, that’s an understatement. I talk to her, give her 10-year-old joints “puppy massages,” and scratch her head as she follows me from room to room, always alert and curious about what’s going on. I taught her how to give me a high-five, to balance things on her head, to be quiet and to “speak.” Within a few days of her adoption, I named her “Even Cowgirl Gets the Blues,” a tongue-in-cheek play on the Tom Robbins novel of a similar name. Friends and family know her, a border collie/Australian Shepherd mix, simply as Cowgirl.

My husband made up a song for her, inspired by The Temptations’ song, “My Girl.” Oh yes, she is adored. We recently had our family portrait taken; each member in our family posed for his/her individual headshot, including you-know-who. Her picture will be framed alongside ours, as she is a member of our family, just like so many beloved pets.

It’s funny how animals can capture one’s love and attention, whether they live with us side-by-side, or if we just see glimpses of them by chance in nature. To watch them is rewarding. To draw them takes a studious eye and knowledge of their habitat, anatomy and even stereotypical features, such as the guarding nature of a dog.

Lee Hammond is an artist who can not only draw animals such as dogs, butterflies and rabbits with a skilled hand, but who can also teach others how to do so. Take advantage of this special DVD offer of Lee’s Draw Animals in Nature (http://www.northlightshop.com/art-lessons-with-lee-hammond-draw-animals-in-nature-u4478/?lid=CHarnnl042513), so you can learn how to draw both the special animals in your as well as the animals that interest and inspire you.