PDA

View Full Version : Small color study after Bougureau's Harvester

ianos dan
04-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Hello guys ! l made yesterday a 4 hour portrait of Bougureau's "The Harvester " . l was inspired by some studies made by this great master ,and l tried to use only one layer.
First part of this study was the "wash-in" stage ,that consists in finding the right value of the portrait ,but using very thin layers of paint .
I used Titanium White ,Yellow Ocher, Prussian Blue ,mars Violet,Burnt umber, Burnt Sienna .
l never tried this before (painting in one goal,or alla prima),but from now on ,l'll try to paint as much as l can this kind of studies .
Here's the "wash -in" stage;http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2013/1165823-IMG494.jpg:lol:and here's the portrait after 2 hours ;http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2013/1165823-002.jpg

evan3585
04-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Wow this turned out great!
I have yet to try this method but will have to give it a try now.

marionh
04-26-2013, 01:55 AM
This looks excellent to me. I've always been too timid to try portraits.

What size is this?

ianos dan
04-26-2013, 03:48 AM
Thanks evan3585,it's first time for me ,just trying to improve my color ,and to be able to capture all the skin tonalities from one sitting . l find this method very helpful ,very different from working in layers.
Give it a try!

ianos dan
04-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Marionh,thank you ,it has about 29/21cm .it's far from what l've expected form this study ,but l have to to this if l want to improve .
Like l said before ,just try ,if you are not making mistakes ,you are not learning ,at least this his how l learn !:)

evan3585
04-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the great advice on your work. Ill try this method soon.

Marionh dont get intimidated by portraits.Im learning them and is fun so far. My advice is to not think of it as a portrait but just a painting. That could help.

ianos dan
04-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Agree with Evan ! Just think in shapes an volumes .:)

Sarah Edgecumbe
05-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Great advice evan, sometimes i forget that a face is just another lot of light and shadow with a tint of colour.

Great painting ianos dan. Im starting copies of this painter as well. So pretty.

Happy painting.
Sarah

ianos dan
05-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Thank you Sarah ,it's very difficult for me to copy this revelation of painting.
He was almost forgot for years ,but thanks to some guys ,he became one of the greatest masters who ever lived.
I am tempted to say that he was greater then Leonardo and Rafael together!
He made almost 800 works of art ,most of the canvas where huge (life size,complicated compositions).

birdhs
05-02-2013, 10:12 AM
This look you are achieving is so very different from anything I have painted so far.

I am fascinated by your threads, looking forward to more

greggo

ianos dan
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Thank you birds!still very very difficult to copy Bouguereau ! One of the greatest painters world has ever known :).
l will keep posting ,but this small studies will stay in this stage ,because l didn't wanted to make a painting ,but to find out some shortcuts Bouguereau would have used for his paintings :)

meganj
08-07-2013, 03:09 AM
Study... I think its gorgeous just the way it is. Btw, I also love the painting of your sister that you did.

What did you use for the washes, what mixture of mediums?

ianos dan
08-07-2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks meganj! l used some flemish siccative and turpentine ,about 30/70%.

AllisonR
08-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Dan - I think it is a very refreshing copy. I think alla prima really forces freshness because you can not overwork, can not get too many passes or touch ups. Bouguereau is one of my all-time favorites as well. He was ignored for so long. I heard many of his paintings have huge cracks now, a shame. If I do alla prima I still come in a little later and do some touch-ups, just to fix major errors, but then I must stop or it starts to become stiff. Try an alla prima of yourself - I'm doing two now in a mirror - not really alla prima - 2 or 3 sittings total, but none of the glaze-upon-glaze-upon-glaze... just color!