PDA

View Full Version : Ascension xpost from Florals/Botanical

linettalee
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
I have intended to paint this gorgeous bleeding heart, posted in the reference library by Stephi20, for a long time. It was to be a gift to my little sister because this was her favorite flower. Before I could paint it the way I wanted it done as a present to her, she lost her battle with cancer. I decided that it would need to be a different type of painting and this one is dedicated to all our loved ones who are no longer with us.

Of course, I will let it sit for some while before I decide what tweaks or little touches I feel may be necessary before signing and framing. Thank you, Stephi20, for your beautiful photo.

PanPastels, Mungyo sticks on AS Colourfix Suede
approx 19 x 27"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2013/110796-Bleeding_heart_-_pastel_sm.jpg

chuas2
04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Linnettalee,
My deepest sympathies for your loss.

This is a beautiful painting and honors the memory of your sister in a wonderful way, and also all of those loved ones gone before us.

My thoughts are with you,
Kris

raxu
04-25-2013, 03:31 AM
LinettaLee - what a powerful painting! I feel for you - my mother passed away 4 weeks ago, it's hard to let them go, isn't it? We are here to honour them and celebrate life and learn...

Love the idea to give color to that one blossom only. Have you thought about giving the butterfly some color as well, as a promise life goes on - here and on the other side...? Also - even you did not ask any advice - you could consider fading out/removing the gray leaves on the upper left corner - I believe the composition would be even more powerful then! My opinion only, of course. This is such a beautiful painting - you did wonderful job with those pans!

artsask
04-25-2013, 12:07 PM
This is lovely and very touching.

Trudi

linettalee
04-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Raxu, you must have been tuning in on my conversation last night about things that were bothering me after taking another look. I have made some minor adjustments to the upper left corner (shortened the leaves and muted them) because I thought the leaves there were keeping my attention on that side instead of letting my eye follow the branch path.

I also, pondered the idea of color on the butterfly, since that was the reason for leaving touches on the blooms along the branch. I have not yet added any, wondering if it would make too much ping pong pull between it and the vibrant left. Any opinions, anyone?

Trudi, I really appreciate your kind comment and your taking the time to leave it.

linettalee
04-25-2013, 04:48 PM
This is a pic of the minor changes that I have noticed that I thought were needed so far. As I mentioned before, I muted the leaves in the upper left corner (and may remove even more). I have debated in my own mind about color on the butterfly (as Raxu so eloquently stated) to indicate that life goes on. I am very hesitant to change the butterfly in any major way and lose the power of the monochromatic elements. I decided to highlight lightly with yellow/gold and think it still retains its drama.

It is not often that I am working from emotions this strong in my art and I really wanted a softness & sensitivity combined with emotional power and hope. This is the time I wish for more skill and talent.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2013/110796-Bleeding_heart_-_pastel_sm.jpg

tulabula
04-25-2013, 09:56 PM
I am so sorry for your loss..

Having just lost my mother to cancer and having a friend who has only weeks, maybe days, this touched me deeply. Thank you for sharing!
Your work is Gorgeous!

Colorix
04-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Linettalee so sorry for your loss. You've painted a lovely tribute, and we all know, or will come to know, how the heart can bleed.

I'm glad you decided to let the butterfly be. I see two ways of interpreting your painting:
All living things will pass away, the butterfly is a soul on its way to heaven, paling from our visual sight.
Or, those who pass away come into the real life (colour) and we live in the pale reflection of it (b/w), but we are still connected.

twiglet
04-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Linettalee the painting you have done is wonderful. The changes you've made are for the good of the painting. The butterfly is so perfect with the colour on the tips. Please don't change it anymore, it's wonderful and the love you have for your sister really shines through. Great job at a most difficult time!

linettalee
04-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Laurie, Charlie and Twiglet: Thank you so much. I know that this sadly has touched most of us and that we need to find meaning to help us through. Charlie, those were the feelings exactly that I wanted to convey and you have said it so eloquently. I am very happy if in some small way this could offer a bit of peace and hope to someone else. It was therapeutic for me to express myself through this.

Turpintine45
04-26-2013, 05:41 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your baby sister. The painting you have made is a lovely tribute to her and that life goes on. The changes you made are perfect.

sketchZ1ol
04-27-2013, 04:29 PM
hello
so good that you are painting . :heart:
Charlotte has written well , with understatement .

my only thought , and it is just a thought , is the idea of a light source
which ever so gently catches parts of the uncoloured petals and butterfly ,
maybe some touch on the diffuse background .
> just enough to move the eye across the entire frame ,
possibly re-touched many times , over time...

my regards .

Ed

Dcam
04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Prayers for you and family. So sorry.
This is a lovely painting....enjoyed very much.
Derek

linettalee
05-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I want to thank all of you so much for sharing your good wishes at this time. I know we all have gone through this loss and I hoped maybe this could be a tribute to all those we have held dear in our lives and lost. Thank you again, for your support :heart:

Judi1957
05-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Linette, My deepest sympaties for your great loss.

Beautiful tribute!

LoreneT
05-01-2013, 03:34 PM
I am sorry for your loss. That is a wonderful piece of art.

linettalee
05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Judi and Lorene, thank you both so much for your wishes and comments. This piece has been so therapeutic for me, I am so thankful that I was able to find this expression to help me me through this time. I have had such response and love that what I have painted has expressed and touched others in such a way. Thank you all!

annette71
05-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Lovely work... Love the monochromatic elements and the touch of color...

Annette

Dougwas
05-12-2013, 10:55 PM
What a lovely tribute to someone so dear to you. Linettalee, you are so right about most of us losing a loved one from this terrible disease. Your painting and story made me think about my mother who lost her battle at the age of 56, which is the age I am now. Seeing your painting on Mothers Day was just meant to be. Thank you and take care.

Doug