PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Pastels Mould

autolisp
04-24-2013, 03:48 PM
I have not seen this posted anywhere in this forum. So here goes. I have just made some oil pastels. The hardest part is getting the hot liquid into the round tube moulds I purchased (large diameter straws). So I came up with this variation. I made a small tray by folding layers of aluminium cooking foil around a small tablet box, but any suitable size/shape would do. I poured the hot liquid into the tray and have left it to cool. Tomorrow morning I will remove the oil pastel block from the foil tray then get a hair drier and heat up a straight pallet knife. I should be able to cut the 'block' into suitable sized 'sticks' ready for use. I know they will not be round, but I don't see that as a problem. I might be able to roll them into a round shape if I need to.

autolisp

autolisp
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Just tried another mould type. It's one of those small 'take away' aluminium containers (saved fiddling with aluminum foil). Works well. To remove the cold pastel from it I just popped it in the freezer for 30 minutes. It came out clean as can be.

autolisp

rickop
04-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I like the square shape of holbein OP better than rounds, which are most everybody else. How are they coming out? That is the real question for me.

Rick

autolisp
04-26-2013, 03:23 AM
I have 'cut' a couple of sticks from the block. However I realised that I could leave the rest intact and if I need a stick of a specific size, say wider, I can cut it when I want it. It is easier for storage as well. They are coming out really well.

autolisp