PDA

View Full Version : Domme (Dordogne) France

rossmarie
04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Hello everyone. Posting this in WIP because cannot access Open Critique.

Recently spent a week based in Montflanquin, a lovely old hill village south of Bergerac in France, with my wife plus her niece and husband who are Western Australians. They have fallen in love with the area (I'm not surprised) and bought a small holiday home there.
Not far away is the old town of Domme, subject of this painting, high above the Dordogne river.

Took the liberty of painting my wife (in blue). She is looking down the street for her niece who has probably nipped into a shop to do some browsing.

All crits welcome. It's about 13 x 10 in. on 140 lb Bockingford paper.

Mike :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2013/1111482-new13261.JPG

Debzy
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Sounds and looks like a wonderful place Mike! You have captured the mood beautifully here. I love the perspective and the stonework. Great colour and movement, lovely detail yet simple, and your free easy style again! I wish I could leave whites as easily as you do, it really gives your work a sparkle. Well done I say! Love your work. :) cheers Mike. :) Debs.

Trumper
04-24-2013, 02:21 PM
I assume it is water colour ,very well done.The light and sense of warmth really comes through.:)

rossmarie
04-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks Debzy & Trumper. Glad you like it. As usual, there are bits I would like to have done better. Yes, it is a watercolour - sorry forgot to say.

Mike

Round
04-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi Mike
It's a lovely scene and you've captured the light of a cool and sunny day very well indeed!

Great perspective and I really like the added personal interest of including your wife. There is a delightful immediacy about the scene!

Cheers
Round

crafor
04-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Ditto all the above. It is lovely, all the way around.
Ella

Billycourty
05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi, I love the Bergarac area! My only query would be that the road was too wide and the imagery to sparse for a market village in France.

rossmarie
05-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Thank you Round, Ella & Billycourty

Re your comment Billy, I have attached the reference photo below. Not totally accurate painting and I left out quite a bit for simplicity.

Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2013/1111482-new24331.JPG

Andrewcody
05-03-2013, 03:07 AM
Ah beautiful Aquitaine
Lovely watercolour Mike

regards
Andrew

noge
05-03-2013, 03:29 AM
Sorry I am a little late :angel:
You asked for critique - well lets start by the photo :evil:
The colours on the photo are general on the cold side - you are the artist - you have the license to change it ( a little overdoing is no sin :evil: )

What about a touch of orange on the foreground roofs /walls ....- the compimentary colors will suppord your wife :wave: :heart:

rossmarie
05-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks Andrew - yes......beautiful Aquitaine......

Mikep

rossmarie
05-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Hi Egon. I agree that a bit more orange in the near roofs would have been a good idea. But my eye doesn't see the colours in the photo as predominantly on the cold side. To me the sunlit buildings disappearing into the distance have a warm-ish feel to them. From memory I painted them mainly with a mix of raw sienna and cadmium red. My sky (top right) does look a bit cold and dark - this was deliberate to get some contrast against the sunlit walls.
Thanks for your critique - it's good to get some feedback.

Mike

noge
05-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Hi Egon. I agree that a bit more orange in the near roofs would have been a good idea. But my eye doesn't see the colours in the photo as predominantly on the cold side. To me the sunlit buildings disappearing into the distance have a warm-ish feel to them. From memory I painted them mainly with a mix of raw sienna and cadmium red. My sky (top right) does look a bit cold and dark - this was deliberate to get some contrast against the sunlit walls.
Thanks for your critique - it's good to get some feedback.

Mike

Hi Mike :wave:

Yes I know - but if you look at my photo -old roofs are looking colder
but If you paint a new on to get a better contrast - its artistic licence :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2013/148675-IMG_3574.JPG

abstractca
05-05-2013, 06:51 PM
like your shadowing , very nicely done

Black Spot
05-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Nice and crisp, and a good interpretation of the photo.

Green Explorer
06-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Atmospheric - nicely executed all round, very faithful to the original. Good sky, good recession - you must be very pleased with this painting

AllisonR
06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Good likeness to the photo. Nicely painted brickwork... In my opinion, the scene might be stronger if you used the photo as a starting point and then added some more mood and atmosphere - could be anything, more people, or some interesting things in the shops...
There is a very short person, who does not look like a child, between your wife and the guy coming up the street. I think this is messing up the perspective, makes your wife and the guy too tall, or the other figure too short.

Don_Bowen
06-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Why the dark blue in the upper right corner? It almost looks like night and day are happening at the same time.

reverseengineering
06-23-2013, 09:18 PM
It's either late morning or mid to late afternoon. Either way, I wouldn't go to this city. There are no birds. What happened to all of the birds. Did they get the flu?

rossmarie
06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks TOM - Yes, I have painted worse.

ALLISON - my wife is tall (the other person is a short young girl - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). Yes, I agree the scene could do with a bit more interest but I didn't want to get bogged down in too much detail as often happens.

DON - top right corner is a hint of darker cloud.

REVERSEENGINEERING - Birds are not my forte and I think they would be mere specks in the sky in my scene.

Thanks for all your comments.

Mike. :wave:

Forever Student
06-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Like this even more after seeing the reference photo! I was never able to establish a healthy relationship with watercolor. As others have said, enjoying the sense of atmosphere and lighting!

tstellma
06-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Hello Mike,
I think the spire could be darker; compare to the sunlit roofs. The spire is vertical while the roofs are tilted (toward the sun).
The sunlit street is grey-blue-purple; more warmth might improve and would be good for the mood.
These are my little crits. Overall itīs a wonderful painting!

rossmarie
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello Mike,
I think the spire could be darker; compare to the sunlit roofs. The spire is vertical while the roofs are tilted (toward the sun).
The sunlit street is grey-blue-purple; more warmth might improve and would be good for the mood.
These are my little crits. Overall itīs a wonderful painting!

Thanks Thomas. I think my sunlit roofs are probably too dark but I wanted a contrast with the walls of the houses.

Mike :wave:

eyecandy2
06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Nice painting and you have captured it well. I do think that you might tone down the shutters as the light color attracts the eye and they are not really that important. The white umbrella is enough white to start the eye into the painting.

Snowy-owl
06-30-2013, 07:46 AM
I think you have captured the scene very well, there is enough of the detail to make it identifiable. Good perspective and nice colouring.