PDA

View Full Version : riverbank display

sundiver
09-10-2003, 08:50 PM
I'm posting this blindly, since the colors on my STUPID monitor are so awful. (And that, incidently, is why I'm not commenting much on your work these days- I can't see it very well!:( )
It's 8x10 o.p. .
I haven't really done anything like this before and would appreciate constructuve criticism. I was in a boat when I took the ref pic. Does the hedge in front of the house cut the composition in half? Are the yellow flowers too distracting? What about that water?
Thanks for looking!

Kathryn Wilson
09-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi Sundiver: I love the water!! And I don't think the hedge cuts the painting in half - it doesn't go all the way across. Not sure about the yellow flowers either - let's see how the rest of the forum feel about those.

Unfortunately our two OP artists (MO and Dyin) are on holiday, so they won't be able to comment until they return. Glad to see you working in OP's - what did you think of working with them. I have used OP in the past with limited success. I haven't given up, but it is a different mindset from soft pastels.

:D

butterfly
09-10-2003, 11:18 PM
Hi Wendy ... I really like what you have going on in this picture ... I have just started using OP's myself over the summer (would post but need batteries in camera ... keep forgetting to get them).

Having said that, I know that the colors are really vibrant with the OP's and looking and squinting at your picture I get the feeling that you might try and put more darks in the flower/stem area and the blue house in the background ... I don't know if it's the computer, but I am having a little problem seeing the movement between with light, medium and dark tones and values ... but I am not experienced enough with OP's to really say for sure yet. My teacher always says you can't make a mistake just do it and correct it again if its wrong!!!

But I do really love the soft feeling here and the subject.... can't wait to see the end results!

Roni