PDA

View Full Version : Vineyard in Oregon

she1122
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
This is an acrylic painting that is 20" X 24". I love the photo that I took last year and thought that this would be a slam , dunk !! Oh the fates do love to laugh !! LOL I more or less completed the painting and it was to my mind so boring that I nearly destroyed it. I could not figure out what happened to the " zip " that the picture had. Big lesson, optical light and paint colors are not the same thing !! Reading about that and experiencing it are two different things !! I had done a sketch prior to painting and I turned to my sketch for help, so one night in desperation I picked up the white paint and dashed it about and then went to bed. The next morning - hey , I thought I had something ! Surprise!

I have spent several efforts to glaze the white but everything I try to do , costs me in value and blends brushstrokes which I do not want to do. I have a bit of Indian yellow glaze on about 40% of the white, which I can see but I don't think you can see in the picture.

Thanks to input on my last painting, I took this picture OUTSIDE in SHADE and the colors are much more true than indoors ! Maybe a little lighter appearing than indoors but still better than indoor pictures !

So - any critiques are welcome and if anyone knows a better way to handle the extreme lights of nature, I am open to suggestions !

rossmarie
04-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Hi Sheila - I am no acrylic painter (watercolour only) so not qualified to comment on technique.

However, the one thing that struck me is that your painting looks too "cold" in colours - too much blue in the foreground? Seems to me the subject calls for warmer greens/yellows/browns in the foreground with perhaps a little blue in the background green of the trees on the skyline. I would also tone down that green slope in the middle distance and bring the warmer brighter colour forward.

When looking at a reference photo, I find it quite useful to half close my eyes. Doing this really brings out the light and dark contrasts between the (light) vines in the foreground and the (dark) background. Don't think you have quite got enough strong contrast in you painting.

Hope this helps. Persevere!

Mike :thumbsup: :crossfingers:

she1122
04-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks Mike ! I rather liked the green warm mid ground but decided that you are correct and I blued the area . It adds distance , yes ? I might rebel later and bring back the greens, but I am trying to improve , even though it hurts at times !! LOL

I had been thinking about darkening the foreground so I went ahead and added darker marks . Right now I am not certain what to do to bring warmer colors into the foreground. I am trying not to lose the highest values and I have now put in the darker darks ! I could warm up the support posts at the end of each row . There are a lot of shadows and I used blue for my shadows . Hmmm ! What to do !!??? Maybe I shall have a glass of wine !!

rossmarie
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Hi Sheila - this looks better but still think you need some warmer yellowy greens in the vines. Your additional darks help - they accentuate the bright areas.

That glass of wine you mention is absolutely the right course of action. Don't delay - I'm going to join you!

Mike. :wave:

La_
04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
well there's a pretty wicked challenge, good for you!

about all i can do is note how cold all your colors are vs how very warm they are in the photo

and give you a greyscale image to ponder

la

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/84648-Image3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/84648-Image4.jpg

she1122
04-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Hi La and Mike ! I have been hiking around Cannon Beach today in glorious weather ! I have been thinking and I shall take a look at the values, but I don't want my values as dark as the photo. So I will think on that. I agree that the picture is turning very blue ! This all started because I originally painted in the greens and it was boring ! I needed the light values and did the white . Then I kept with blues in the shadows. Then I posted here !!! I will work on that today or tomorrow and post the results. While I know that distance is supposed to be cooler , I am not sold on the distant hill becoming blue. I kind of liked the greens that I got rid of on the hill . Probably for warmth! So I am thinking on that also ! Back to the drawing board ! You have given me much to consider ! I thank you very much !

she1122
04-28-2013, 12:21 AM
I took a few days to work on this painting ! First I really made an effort to get darker values . At first I felt like I was wrecking the painting and then I realized that the darker darks were going to work ,so thank you for pushing me on that. Intellectually I understand values . But sometimes, I find myself gritting my teeth to go in and do the darks. I don't know why but my eye resists it. Then I added some yellows and more greens to offset the blueness of the picture. That led to taking out the entire midground and background. I went crazy. I tried lightening the extreme background with white or bluish white to get distance and hated the effect. I darkened the mid ground greens to have a different value from the background and hated that effect. I decided the trees were too tall so I heightened the hills. Nope ! Then in total frustration last night, I picked up the rubbing alcohol and the little cotton squares with the intent of taking out the entire midground and background and starting over. And for the second time ( the first being another painting ) as I took out paint, a softened, varied surface began to emerge . Where the paint was gone and only underpainting showing, I thought of bare earth . The trees of the skyline became soft and more abstract. I stopped and let the result remain. Then I took a knife and put a little bit of teal and yellow - green on the midground hill and called it good ! I feel like I have been at war with this picture ! LOL

If you see more to critique, let me know . I am learning so much ! I can go chew on a brush in private when the frustration hits ! But each picture affects the next picture and so on !

I am currently still fascinated with the difference in light and the photo of the painting. I am attaching 3 pictures. The first is my original painting with the photo taken in daylight shadow. The second photo is my revised painting with the photo taken in daylight shadow . Daylight makes the picture look bluer than I see it in artificial light. The third picture is the revised painting with the picture taken at my easel . I wonder, considering that a painting is hung in a home, which is the truer picture. The one taken outside or the one taken indoors ? The light sure changes the way the painting looks !

rossmarie
04-28-2013, 04:32 AM
Hi Sheila - photography of paintings can be tricky and often they appear different from what we see with our own eyes.

All I can say is that your third image is the one I would hope to see if I was actually looking at your painting. The light on the vines is great and there is a warmth to the picture in the greens yellows and browns that is convincing and makes me feel I am out there on that slope on a hot summer's day.

Mike. :thumbsup: :wave:

she1122
04-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Thank you Mike ! My best conclusion is to decide that my lighting has yellow in it, so if i want yellows in my paintings, I need to push that color to offset the yellow lights. I shall continue to take pictures of a painting in natural daylight but realize that pictures are often hung in homes in artificial lighting . Thank you for pushing me. You got me to get more serious about the values and to add color to the lights . Now on to the next picture and take these lessons forward !!!

gouligann
04-29-2013, 08:07 AM
I like the background and much better now that you've pushed the darker values. When I look at this, the mid ground spruce trees look more detailed than the foreground foliage.
I think it would help if you detail the leaves more on the vines, rather than have them as large blurry clumps.
Ann

she1122
04-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi Ann, thanks for the input . I see what you mean . I did not mean for those darn trees to be more detailed ! LOL They just want to be divas !! LOL I have varnished this painting and consider it completed. However, the next one I will be applying everything I have learned on this one especially values and details ! Thanks for taking the time to critique my painting !

maryinasia
04-30-2013, 06:23 AM
beautiful

abstractca
04-30-2013, 03:41 PM
love the colors!

she1122
04-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Maryinasia and Abstractca , Thank you ! This has been a challenge !! I learn by trying ! Colors/paints are Golden and M. Graham .