PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Demo in Workshop- Colleen (Xpost)

kentiessen
04-22-2013, 03:26 PM
I taught a Portrait Workshop this Saturday, and this is the afternoon demo of Colleen in pastel- I've not done either portrait or pastel for some time, and was happy how it all went. Her head is about 9" tall. It took about an hour from life and I was explaining pretty much the whole time-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2013/130333-colleen-3947web2.jpg

Judy Manuche
04-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Ken, your skills have not suffered from time off, it is beautiful.

Dcam
04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Hey Ken......no fair switching from landscapes:lol:

This is a great study....you picked a beautiful background color for the flesh and hair. Lovely rendering buddy.

derek

water girl
04-22-2013, 06:35 PM
I've missed your portrait posts! I've always admired your skin tones and the freshness of you paintings.

Turpintine45
04-22-2013, 10:55 PM
You have not missed a beat with this beautiful portrait. Talking and painting Wow!

Dea
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
I love the freshness of your portraits too, not as easy as it looks :)
Deanna

twiglet
04-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Ken, this is wonderful. Your use of colour is great. You say you were talking whilst painting, wow, that sounds like multi tasking to me. Impressive!

Pat71
04-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Nice painting! Good colors for skin and background. I keep breaking my head with the skintones. What do you mostly use?

pastel65
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Beautiful work. Pam

allydoodle
04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Beautiful portrait! I love the sketchy loose feel, and your skin tones are great.

markusrydh
04-25-2013, 03:21 PM
I would have liked to see the demo! :) Great work.

raxu
04-26-2013, 04:48 AM
My goodness, you are gooood - such an interesting, free and convincing portrait in about one hour! Not that time matters, yet this tells you have talent and experience - they don't disappear once you gained them :)
I like the sketchy effect, it makes the face so alive. Next time be sure to have someone taking photos as you paint, and post them here as a step (selfish me ...)

kentiessen
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Judy- Thank you! I appreciate it-

Derek- Sorry! I didn't get the memo- :) . Trying lots of things in my work and having fun with it. I've used that color and paper for a long time, so am very comfortable within it.

Hi Karen- Thanks for following along! It was getting to be just hard work in the direction I was going, and so needed a temporary change. I will be painting oil and plein air this summer and am working to get up to speed with that.

Hi Jen- Thanks very much! It is always a bit nervy at first, but I was able to keep more relaxed and simple- sometimes think I worry too much.

Deanna- Thank you! This short one has got me thinking that it might be good for me to work portraits for a while using a short (1 hour) time frame, keeping it simple, fast, and a bit looser. I'll keep you posted-

Hi Pat- Thanks! The background is the Canson paper color (sepia)- a mid-value neutral. I think first of values, and set in large simple areas that approximate what I see. Then those tones are varied in a relative way in value, hue, and saturation based on what is there- the model is the basis of everything.

Thank you Pam!

Chris- Thanks! I want to work looser overall and restart some portrait work- this has inspired me-

Hi Markus- Thank you! I wish you could, too-

Hi Raxu- Thanks! I really appreciate it- portraits have been a serious study for me over the last few years, and that experience and focus has really helped. I often feel as if I'm just starting my journey with Art and don't take anything for granted. I'll be doing more fast portraits, too. A student did take some images/video- I'll see them soon.