PDA

View Full Version : P'tit rÍveur

Mado
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I spent a good part of last sunday working on this.
I simplified the picture a lot as there were sooo many things on the deck of the boat impossible to draw and a very busy background.I wanted a quiet and dreamy look.
But now, I can see that the perspective it wrong in the bg and I'm not so sure about the persp of the boat either.:confused:
I tried to fix it on PS today, but I'm not happy with the outcome.
I'd like to add a bit of texture to the walls too but when I try it becomes dirty.
I don't mind about the drawing so if you have ideas to make it better, i'll be glad to test them.
Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2013/974816-61.jpg

Dcam
04-22-2013, 05:00 PM
I really like this bold and colorful painting with dancing complementary colors. I'll let others discuss the perspective.

derek.......nice job.:thumbsup:

water girl
04-22-2013, 06:34 PM
I think the colors are beautiful. I like the fact that you kept the texture on the builds simple, because it compliments the drama of the boat, and ripples on the water very nicely. If you post your reference photo it may help.

Turpintine45
04-22-2013, 10:56 PM
I love the colours and simplicity. No good asking me about perspective!!

twiglet
04-23-2013, 02:11 AM
Loving the fresh look Mado. The only thing that I can see is that the land between the builings seems to be swallowing up the single story one. Apart from that I don't see anything other than a really lovely painting.

toniov
04-23-2013, 02:11 AM
Very beautiful work. You are working in a synthetic manner, with supermarkets of colour which contrast between them and go together. Beautiful.

bobbymac
04-23-2013, 05:48 AM
I love the colors of your painting, especially the boat and bumpers. Here are a couple of suggestions for perspective. The bow of the boat does not seem to be in line with the stern. The rear mast feels like it should move to our left as seen on my markup to be more on center. The forward mast may have to move a little left as well. The right roof edge on the far building needs to be shortened to be the same length or a touch shorter than the left roof edge. That will require the right edge of the building to be moved a touch left. Hope these recommendations help. Bob
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/1154176-boat.jpg

artistat38
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Beautiful complimentary colours....lovely painting....

Prashanti.

chuas2
04-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi there,
I'll also let others more experienced assist with perspective or anything else you may want. I just see a beautiful painting, with strong color, a bold composition and fantastic lighting. You're well on your way!
Kris

Mado
04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
First, thanks to all of you for commenting this drawing.

Karen : The ref is below (I feel always ashamed of posting ref, the drawing looks so simple and badly built in comparison: baby work..)

Twiglet : Good observation, I absolutely agree, but I don't know how to fix it.

Bob: You are definetively right, the masts are in the wrong place ! I checked on my ref I just can't figure out now how i went so off...It's one of the disadvantages of freehand drawing.A bad reference point and everything is tweaked.
But, Oh la la ! Following your schema would mean a hell of a job !:eek:
I'd better redraw the whole thing.
For the far away roof, i can fix it. Thanks a lot for the comment however. I wish i've asked for help before.
Now : the ref :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2013/974816-ref-ptit-reveur.jpg

Pat71
04-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Nice drawing from the start, good colors gives a good summer feeling. Keep on working, turns out Nice!

Katiepea
04-24-2013, 04:23 AM
I really like this painting! The colours you've used and the style of it really appeals! I am a total novice, so please feel free to disregard the following, because I think it relates to perspective:

I noticed that if you look at your reference photo, you can see the "wall" at the edge of the water appears to be moving slightly diagonally, starting lower on the left hand side (as I look at it) and moving in a smooth straight line upwards, slightly diagonally toward the right. In your painting I notice that the wall is rather straight or even possibly curving back on the right hand side. Like I said, I am a newbie, so please feel free to totally disregard! :-)

bobbymac
04-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Mado, thank you for posting the ref photo. based on what I see I do not think the masts are as far off as I originally thought but the point of the bow is definityly further left. But as you said that would be a pretty big change. You did a very nice job simplifying your painting and as I said I really love the colors you used. Bob

Mado
04-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks Pat,Kate and Bob.
I 'll change the bow and the "wall at the edge of the water" and the roof.
I won't change the masts : too difficult.
Thanks a lot for your help.

sketchZ1ol
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
hello
ah mon cher , no apology needed - these details are how we learn , no ? :)

i had thought that the vessel was a catboat , or possible a yawl -
it now appears to be a yawl , and a challenge to depict with shapes/perspective alone without knowing how she is built .

a basic geometry for a boat hull/gunnels/top deck rails is a figure 8 ...
> the 8 is a flat vertical - practice making that shape with line
and then imagine the top of the 8 leaning forward and being further away ,
and the line between the top of the upper loop and the bottom of the lower loop :
that line parallels the keel of any boat , which is the foundation for the ribs , hull , and masts .
> the keel must be a straight line between the center of the bow and the center of the stern ,
otherwise she will not sail straight .

anyway , try the figure 8 exercises on some scrap and see how it fits to your ref pix .

Ed