PDA

View Full Version : Bluebonnets

shirleyq
09-10-2003, 08:28 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-10-2003/11444_Bluebonnets-3+.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bluebonnets
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a commission! I haven't used oils since 1999 and have only done one landscape previously. I am now painting bluebonnets in an impressionistic style in the lower right (viewers) side.
The photo does not do a good job of showing the lights in the painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How can this be improved?

jerryW
09-10-2003, 08:49 PM
the irregular shapes
work well creating rolling movements.

designditz
09-10-2003, 08:54 PM
It is a lovely view, Maybe a tad of yellows in the forground grass or tree leaves would ad a sparkle.. really up to you..very nice piece!

roberj
09-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Shirley, the tree at right looks a little stumpy. It might be better to either accent that idea or try and thin it down a little. Back ground and sky look really good. Bluebonnets seem to be doing nicely. It looks too green in the post, possibly just computer, but I was noticing today that things are really vivid green this summer. They are usually yellowing by now, but here everything is getting greener again since hte rains over labor day.

Bob

mattlart
09-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Because I know that you were creating this painting to match another;..it's hard to 'critique',..because,..in a way, Shirley;...it's not "your work",..in that it was not something that you would have chosen.

With that in mind, I'll say,..that the sky is painted well,..the mountains work well;..good colors there.

I've noticed that the perspective (to nitpick) seems to be a bit off;..in that the bluebells dont recede as they might.

Take a peek..:) the flowers in the midground are at least as large as your foreground flowers.

Placing some larger bluebonnets in the foreground would likely increase the feeling of depth here...:D
Additionally,..a little more variety in the greens is a good thing.
Considering what you had to work with;..your client should be well satisfied. Congratulations. Your buddy,-S

shirleyq
09-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Jerry..........rolling hills was what I was after. Thanks for looking:)

Sarah, thank you. The yellows are not showing up very well here and you are right, it need more:)

Scott........nit picking is just what I wanted:) I will check the perspective again, the flowers that I am now painting in the front are bigger but I am wondering how big I can make them in relation to the road on the left. Any ideas?:confused: I am working on the greens, wanted a springlike feel here. There is a lot of naples yellow that is not reading well in the photo.
I worked it a little in photoshop. Maybe this is better.
Thank you very much for your reply and critique.

shirleyq
09-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Ooooops, Bob forgot you! Sorry.:o Thanks for your comments. You have certainly had more experience with landscapes than I have.:)
It's very green at our house today, too. And with more rain today will probably stay that way for a while.

mattlart
09-11-2003, 10:50 AM
I understand your problem, Shirley.........

The barns are too small;..the road too narrow to paint VERY LARGE flowers in the foreground..........

I think that the simplest solution will be to paint over the bluebells toward the back..(if you are willing to..:) );..and then,...simplify them.
As objects get farther away,..they are smaller;..with less apparent detail.

If you were to simply paint a warm,..light opaque color over them,..and just SUGGEST some blues back there;...with simple strokes;..you should have it made...........Cheers,-Scott

shirleyq
09-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Thank you again Scott. I will try that.:)

shirleyq
09-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Here is an update. Now the flowers in front are too blue....LOL.....they should be more purple so when I paint in the detail, I will fix it. Also need to paint centers in the black eyed susans.

Wayne Gaudon
09-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi Shirley .. left you a suggestion over in landscapes .. don't get too carried away with details .. :D

dornberg
09-12-2003, 01:05 PM
i like some of the luscious color

shirleyq
09-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi Wayne, ..........details..........so hard to know when to stop sometimes:)

Dornberg, thanks..........I had a look at your website.....talk about luscious colors!!!:)

shirleyq
09-17-2003, 06:06 PM
I keep finding things to fix but am afraid that I will overwork it. Any comments.............all are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2003/11444-Bluebonnets-commission.jpg