PDA

View Full Version : study : landscape w. few sticks - thx Allydoodle !

sketchZ1ol
04-21-2013, 04:02 PM
hello
how does one deal with a lush summer landscape when the subtle/complex shifts of green make your eyes crossed ... ? :D

this was one idea on canson paper - some colour disbursement w. packing peanut , then pressure variations for value/texture .

it helped me to start with a limited stick selection , then write down thoughts about more sticks/ideas , and paint many more select studies rather than end up with a lump of mud from so many ideas at once ...

4"h x 8" wide .

Edhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2013/203336-203336-000_379.jpg

water girl
04-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Ed, I'd mat it and frame it! The colors are so vibrant and alive, there is a bit of atmosphere and this little piece only needed a few sticks to make it perfect. :thumbsup:

toniov
04-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Hello Ed,
Your work makes me think about the " Pointillisme ", created by the painters Seurat and Signac...:thumbsup:
One exemple: http://www.photos-galeries.com/palais-des-papes-avignon-paul-signac-pointillisme/

Dcam
04-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey Ed: really nice values in a limited palette. The greens work in harmony.
Enjoyed! Derek

allydoodle
04-22-2013, 12:15 AM
A beautiful little gem Ed! I agree with Karen, mat and frame it!

maryinasia
04-22-2013, 12:21 AM
beautiful

raxu
04-22-2013, 01:38 AM
oh so now I can NOT blaim my limited selection of pastels ... it seems it's up to the artist what you can achieve with them:)
This has a soul of it's own, somehow vibrant and pieceful at the same time.

Which paper did you use... if I may ask?

Mado
04-22-2013, 01:40 AM
This is beautiful Ed. Bravo !
What a good idea.

sketchZ1ol
04-24-2013, 02:55 PM
hello
thank you Karen , Toniov ,Derek , Chris , Mary , Mado .
and all who have looked in .:)

Raxu - no more excuses :D
- the essential idea is values , then using one colour ( prussian blue ) with mid/light/dark value and pressure on the surface ,
then the green , which is a mix of blue and yellow ...
> some more yellow or a bit of white will look more warm or cool .
>> some yellow , then the green over/into the dark trees makes the rich colour which comes forward compared to the rest ...

the paper is canson drawing paper ( the pads with the blue/white cover .

Ed

linettalee
04-24-2013, 08:30 PM
When I first saw this I was going to remark that it reminds me of some of the 'old masters' works and pointillism. Then as I scrolled down, I see that Toniov also had this reaction. So it appears that many of us agree you found a perfect solution to your own question!

chuas2
04-24-2013, 08:42 PM
A lovely little gem, Ed! a mat and frame, yes!
:clap:
Kris

sketchZ1ol
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
hello
thx , LinettaLee .
the ' pointallist look ' was not meant to be , but the result of how the medium sticks and paper worked together .
- maybe got some lemonade out of a lemon , so to speak . :)

to mention again - the sense of touch/amount of pressure w. the sticks
became more and more important for pigment density/value
and how overpainting/stick mixing would relate to light+aerial perspective .
> keep in mind that this is 70#paper with some dry colour scrub w. a packing peanut underneath ,
not a more robust support which can hold up flat to wet underpainting .

= some shortcuts on/with paper to go forward to those baffling shifts of green ...

Kris ! good to read your post ! :)
did the mat ... trying to figure how to recycle a baby crib to make frames .
some method to my madness , perhaps ... :rolleyes:

Ed

Ruthie57
04-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Ed, what a great little painting! Love the colours. Limited palettes can make striking works!