so, forum tools it is ...

8x8inch waterfall, a vision for my back yard :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2013/84648-8x8_waterfall.jpg

c&c always welcome
thanks for lookin'

la

Avena Cash
04-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh an unhokey waterfall! That is so nice. I like the ambiguity of the stones as they looks rather abstract and separated. (If you're going for realism it's a problem because they "float" but I really like that.)

Personally I'd bring that quality out with more abstraction by altering the yellow-green surroundings. I'd make them more tonal with less yellow to play up the cool pattern of the rocks. The area on the left looks much better in this way than on the right. I think I'd kick that yellow out so much that the only things reading as warm are the bits of yllow ochre on the rocks. Alternatively you could keep the yellow on the one foreground mass and cool it off in the middle and background areas above that (still on the right) I think the yellow-green on the left is handled really well in that it is not too dominant.

So you would be making the clustered forms of the rocks and partly the earth areas more important by making some other areas less important. I think the waterfall looks nice partly because it doesn't demand all of the attention and is balanced nicely with other elements. Visually the rocks and waterfall have perfect visual tension. For me it is the two together creating the focal area. Like that.

maryinasia
04-22-2013, 03:07 AM
beautiful. love the colors. there's a drip on my screen that doesn't come off when I rub it -- on the bottom right hand corner of your painting -- intentional?

silvenus
04-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Let it stay a vision the real thing would not look this good,anyway how would you make the alligator stay at the top of the fall. Perhaps the background could be a bit lighter/hazy

AllisonR
04-25-2013, 04:08 AM
How funny. I opened without looking at poster or head and said to myself "Oh, looks like a La painting, but she does people." And then I saw it was you. So your style is working. I like it. I didn't notice the alligator until reading the other posts. Suggestions - I see a little hint of lavender flowers - I would add one more, perhaps darker violet, shade of the flowers - still keeping it very subtle though. And the last rock on the left before the water falls down bugs me because of the very sharp point. Looks strange. Paint more landscapes.

Note - is this REALLY the view you have from your backyard? If so I am jealous and where do you live, I am inviting myself. :rolleyes:

La_
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
thanks guys, appreciate your time/thoughts/eyes

the drip, dunno what that was but i got it out of there
the alligator, i like reptiles
the reality, ha, not even close, but i'm going to try something like it on a hard to mow hill in my back yard ... helpers welcome! :angel:

pic with a few li'l tweaks
pic with reference (gardening mag)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2013/84648-waterfall_final.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2013/84648-waterfall_ref.jpg

la

p.s.s.s.t. just a note, in case it's not completely apparent, that a reference, to me, especially landscapes, is not something i strive to copy - it's a guideline i take what i like of it and make up the rest

silvenus
04-26-2013, 07:57 PM
As I said La , the real thing is not nearly as good as your painting