PDA

View Full Version : New at this forum

Moises Menendez
04-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Hi,
Although I am an old member of WC, I consider myself new at this forum and I would like to exchange ideas and comments about paintings of the old masters.
I have this reproduction of my favorite artist, Rembrandt. I painted it few years back and recently I framed it and cleaned since it was in my attic collecting dust. I also would like to restart painting oil again in the near future, although my hobby for now is painting in pastel. I am going to add "After Rembrandt" on top of the painting to follow the tradition when painting the old masters.I would like to hear some comments and critiques.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2013/1071012-Rembrandt.jpg

ianos dan
04-22-2013, 05:22 AM
Hello Moises Menendez! the painting looks very good ,it has the features ,the likeness ,maybe the hue is a little yellowish (the face area) ,probably because of the print or photo you are working from ,but it's a very good copy:)
The technique Rembrandt used is more in pasto (thicker paint layers) ,but you made it smoother ,and this is not a bad thing at all :).

Moises Menendez
04-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Ianos, thank you for the remarks. When I did this portrait, several years back, I did not have any idea what impasto was or the most important aspect of portraiture: values. I used to copy from the masters and learn about the process of painting but I did not have much of guidance since my other job does not give much time for leisure. Currently I am dedicated to pastel only but I may try oil again soon.

derek123
04-28-2013, 07:41 AM
good drawing, you cannot make a decent copy of rembrandt without sticky paint though.

Moises Menendez
05-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Thank you Derek,
If I try another rendition of Rembrandt I will use the impasto technique. And I will try pastels also!