PDA

View Full Version : MH self-portrait

MadHatter
06-23-2001, 08:58 PM
Hope this works--my first image post at WetCanvas! :D It's a self-portrait done in Photoshop LE that took me far too long. :mad: I probably should've left it in black and white, but I think it came out all right, except for the eyes and eyebrows. Comments or tips appreciated.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2001/madhatter1.jpg

nnelson1-- thanks for the nice comment about my site!
Thanks to all who reply! :D Tablets are awesome for digital art. . .:cool:

MissMouse
06-23-2001, 10:30 PM
I hear ya - Eyes are hard, but I think yours fit in this picture. It is really fun to look at and I can just imagine what you look like. Now what type of critter is that on your shoulder? I did the picture I just completed in watercolor in just under 3 hours this rendition took me days !!!!

MadHatter
06-24-2001, 06:37 PM
Thanks! It looks a bit more cartoonish than I intended, and the computer ate my shading, believe it or not. . .:rolleyes: The funny-looking thing is supposed to be a Dr. Seuss hat--I have a thing for funny hats. Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad the pic comes off well.

digistyle
06-24-2001, 10:59 PM
Mad Hatter, welcome to WC! I'm a Painter/Photoshop user, too (Great pieces of software!). Elsewhere on this board, some of us have posted links to digital art sites. Check 'em out, I've found some very useful tips and tutorials on those sites.

Speaking of sites, I also visited your site. Looks like you have a lot of fun creating your art! Keep at it!

I've fallen into the "Photoshop Trap" myself on more than a few occasions. So many options, its sometimes hard to finish a piece.

I like your self portrait. One quick tip I can offer for the eyes is to put a hard white highlite on each pupil. I think you'll find that it really breathes life into the eyes.

digistyle

T-Rex
06-25-2001, 03:43 PM
:clap: :clap: Wonderful MH, self-portraits aren't easy either. Yeah, the eye highlight is worth a try, I got a poster feel when I looked at it, I didn't think cartoon...good for you:D :D ...Karen

MadHatter
06-27-2001, 08:13 AM
Thanks, T-Rex and Digistyle! The eyes were towards the end and I completely forgot about the highlight. :rolleyes: I was getting too impatient, I think. :D I think I'll go root through those links, most of what I found on digital art so far is about cartooning, I haven't looked much through WetCanvas (what on earth was I THINKING?). Heh, thanks!

Shehaub
06-27-2001, 02:32 PM
This would make an awesome tiny head. (Just tossing out a thought here.)

There is a digital portrait tutorial here on this site that has some very good info, even if you dont use the same style. I have found that more of your regular painting tips come in handy for digital "painting" than your average photoshop gimmick tutorial. If you wander through the drawing, watercolor, oil and pastel tutorials, you can find a lot of info that really helps. Here is a collection of tutorials that I have found come in handy...

http://www.wacom.de/Fun/Fu.htm

Here is a nice collection of links for digital art information of all kinds. Follow some of these links and you will find lots of info.
http://www.creationstorm.com/

Dont worry too much about how long it takes you to do something. (This comes from someone that creeps along at a snails pace) Just keep going at a comfortable pace. If this took two weeks to do, you are farther along than you were two weeks ago right?

digistyle
06-27-2001, 11:06 PM
I agree with Shehaub. I'm finding that the more you learn about traditional art techniques, the better your digital work becomes. I also find that many things I work out digitally can be applied to my traditional art work.

digistyle