PDA

View Full Version : 'Hopelessly Devoted To You'

Mettaphorica
04-19-2013, 10:06 PM
About my 4th pastel ( I seem to slut around between CPs, WCs and pastels) Really enjoyed this one, and you know how over time you start to work out that you are naturally better suited to one medium over another? I'm starting to think that pastel on velour sort of 'fits' me. Support is velour. Source pic first, then mine. Posted here, mine has come out much bluer and less dark than it is in real life and the source image has come out with less purples and blues in it than my printed one, so they look way off re colours! Oh well. Comments welcome.
thanks for looking!
cheers
Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2013/979263-Black_Lab_Puppy_edited.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2013/979263-IMG_2813resized.jpg

artsask
04-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Aww what an adorable ref picture and great job on your painting. Every think looks good to me but the nose looks a bit off? I know the ref pic is not straight but the nostril on my right looks like it would look better if you made it a tad bigger? Above his nose looks like it is dented in maybe if it wasn't quite as dark? Just my thoughts but great painting over all and super cute. Trudi

Turpintine45
04-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Agree just adorable. Love those pinks!

beetee
04-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Great job Donna

Pat71
04-20-2013, 11:43 AM
verry nice! love it! difficult to make black fur with all the hidden colors. have commission of black belgian herder, its difficult for me, would be third dog painting with pastel. you did a great job!

allydoodle
04-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Great job on this, the reference is adorable, and so is your painting. I agree about the comments on the nose, easy tweaks. Also, take a look at his mouth, the lower portion should be a bit darker than the upper, due to a cast shadow. It shows properly in the photo, I am sure it is an easy tweak for you if you so desire.

There is also a bright spot on his paw that shows up very bright in the photo, but I don't think it's actually necessary to even put in the painting. I know you have toned it down in your painting, but I would omit it and just darken it, as I find it to be a bit distracting. Again, this is just my opinion.

Oh, and how about some whiskers? If you decide to put them in, I find that a white charcoal pencil works much better than a pastel pencil, you can get much finer, more believable whiskers that way. Nice job!

pastel65
04-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Really like picture and colors. People's comments right on. This is why I like WC so much since I learn from both the artist posting and the artists commenting. Pam

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi Pat
thank you for your support! I looked up Belgian Herder, since I didn't know what one looked like. With the black fur and getting the undertones, which in this case there was a lot of blue and mars violet and dark purples and even some olive greens, I got the colours by manipulating the photo in PaintShop Pro (cheaper equivalent of Photoshop). I played with the sliders on the warm/cool and green/purple spectrums and took them to the extremes, this helped me see properly the undertones. I then printed out a moderated version of this. This pic looks a bit like a flurorescent blue and bright magenta dog, but helped me 'map' where the undertones were. ( I have not posted that picture as it is not realistic). Black was used minimally in my painting; only for the very very darkest parts, the rest was a brownish charcoal over those blue, violet and olive undertones. Good luck with it, please post your progress!
cheers
Donna

verry nice! love it! difficult to make black fur with all the hidden colors. have commission of black belgian herder, its difficult for me, would be third dog painting with pastel. you did a great job!

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Thank you, Pam. I do agree with you about the help you get here. It's interesting, but last night my BF said to me, "I'd like to see you confident enough to do a picture and then say it's done, and not get the opinion of others" (the implication here being that it's a weakness). I explained to him that posting on WC, there are a lot of very accomplished - and not so experienced - artists, who have the eye and the subjective distance to be able to pick out technical and other errors that I, as the artist, cannot see because of my emotional investment in the painting, or the sheer amount of time spent looking at it can mean an inability to see it correctly anymore. And that these comments from others help me learn a lot.

I'm still not convinced he was sold, but I may have offered at least in part a reasonable explanation. Ah, I know, I'll go back and tell him about the masters and how they spent years in ateliers and under tutelage and had their drawings and paintings constantly analysed by someone else!

Yes, I too learn from looking at other's work and the corresponding comments. Hope you get as much out of WC as I have done the last 2 years!
cheers
Donna

Really like picture and colors. People's comments right on. This is why I like WC so much since I learn from both the artist posting and the artists commenting. Pam

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Thank you so much, Brian!

cheers

Great job Donna

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi again Ally
thank you for taking the time to suggest improvements, I can see what you mean. I've already tweaked the nose as per prior suggestion. The bright spot on his paw is part of the puppy's footpads, I believe it's the dewclaw, which, looking at an anatomical pic of a dog's foot right now, appears to be the equivalent of a thumb (in appearance only, not function like a thumb). However, if you feel it is still distracting, even though I toned it down to the correct colour, I shall remove it. Will also attend to the mouth as you suggest - I can see what you mean, but often don't see these things until someone else points them out, or I post on WC. Often then I can see mistakes that I couldn't before. Seems to be a WC phenomena!

Whiskers!!!! Thanks for pointing that out, I almost forgot! I have white charcoal, and you're right, pastel pencil is difficult on velour, so thanks for the tip!
cheers
Donna

Great job on this, the reference is adorable, and so is your painting. I agree about the comments on the nose, easy tweaks. Also, take a look at his mouth, the lower portion should be a bit darker than the upper, due to a cast shadow. It shows properly in the photo, I am sure it is an easy tweak for you if you so desire.

There is also a bright spot on his paw that shows up very bright in the photo, but I don't think it's actually necessary to even put in the painting. I know you have toned it down in your painting, but I would omit it and just darken it, as I find it to be a bit distracting. Again, this is just my opinion.

Oh, and how about some whiskers? If you decide to put them in, I find that a white charcoal pencil works much better than a pastel pencil, you can get much finer, more believable whiskers that way. Nice job!

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Jen!
cheers
Donna

Agree just adorable. Love those pinks!

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks, Trudi, you're right. Have attended to it!
cheers
Donna
Aww what an adorable ref picture and great job on your painting. Every think looks good to me but the nose looks a bit off? I know the ref pic is not straight but the nostril on my right looks like it would look better if you made it a tad bigger? Above his nose looks like it is dented in maybe if it wasn't quite as dark? Just my thoughts but great painting over all and super cute. Trudi

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 08:57 PM
suggested changes incorporated...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2013/979263-IMG_2852_800x527.jpg

T Porter
04-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Nice work! The changes made a big difference.

Mettaphorica
04-20-2013, 10:39 PM
They did, didn't they? I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out now ,thanks to to the helpful advice here! :

)Nice work! The changes made a big difference.

Pat71
04-21-2013, 04:27 AM
Tnx for talking the time to explain how you build up the fur. Going to post Some pictures of my drawing. Its now in the most ugli stage so dont know if i schold post That picture with all the colors like Grey, blue, purple. Keep up the good work!