PDA

View Full Version : Mangoes

adlercomo
04-18-2013, 11:55 PM
I just finished this one. It's 8 x 10 on La carte. I never thought I'd be interested in doing still life but I'm really liking it. Who knew?
Thanks for looking. C & C welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2013/1174506-mangoes.jpg

maryinasia
04-19-2013, 12:25 AM
love the mangoes and the plate

artistat38
04-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Beautiful ....

Prashanti

twiglet
04-19-2013, 02:11 AM
looks great!

raxu
04-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Very clever composition and skillful job! Boy I would like to eat them right away, so I also could admire the shining plate better :)

Grinner
04-19-2013, 07:30 AM
REALLY lovely work! The color variations and highlights on the mangoes are nicely handled, as is the wonderful blue plate.

My one suggestion would be to consider some attention to the background, most notably the line separating the wall from the surface on the right. Perhaps that division could be indicated by a difference in value or color between the wall and the surface rather than by the dark line between two planes of the same value and color. That's the only area pulling my eye away from the drool-worthy mangoes :)

allydoodle
04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Nice job, I love the intense blue of the plate. Would you consider adding some yellow to the white on the mango on the right? I'm thinking it would add some warmth to the light, and make it glow even more. If you don't like it you can always go back over it with the white, I'm just thinking it would glow even more. I usually save my pure white for that last little highlight on an object, or that small glint in an eye in a portrait. Pure white is absent of color, and doesn't give a glow like color can.

I love still life, I started out with pastels doing soley still life for about two years, it really taught me a lot about color, value, composition, reflected light, edges................... need I go on :lol: ? Keep doing them, you will be glad you did.

chuas2
04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Matt,
I'm a still lifer, who sometimes feels lost in a sea of landscapers, so glad to see you're taking the plunge and liking it!

You've done a wonderful job with both the mangoes and the plate. I love the fresh quality and the soft glow of the fruit echoed in the background.

More, please!
Chuas
:clap:

adlercomo
04-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks all, very kind.
Grinder, indeed. I agree about the background.
Chris, thank you. You know I tried a bunch of different yellows on that spot and I think I just didn't have the right one. They weren't working for me and I finally, reluctantly, added the white.
Chuas - thank you very much. I appreciate that.